Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

EVB3 users - a question

Hobo

Since I switched from using my VK7 to EVB3 , I've noticed that the highest notes, the last octave mainly, is far louder than the rest. I know a real hammond is like that to an extent but I'm finding it hard to balance my solos as I like to use the top 3 octaves for good soloing.

Anyone found this, and is there a way of balancing it out without relying too heavily on the swell pedal?

And is NI B4 the same in this regard?

Thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
EVB3 is the only Hammond sim I play, and I primarily IEM (in ear monitor). I've found the upper octave pump very similar to the few B3s I've spent time on as one of the idiosyncrasies of the beast. I've just tried to keep on it with the swell/expression pedal. I also use a Carvin LM15a (self-powered 2-way plastic PA cabinet) as an amp, and I haven't found it mitigated or accentuated the pump.

Something you might try if you have an equilizer (3 band) in the path would be to turn the high frequency pot down. If the high pot is around 10khz, it will curve the higher frequencies of the organ (around 5 - 6khz) down some similar to how the tone control in a B3 works. Since 10khz is above the range of the organ it doesn't affect the overall tone it just takes some of the brightness out.

This also helps make digital Leslies (at least the ones I've tried) sound less bright and more authentic.

Good Luck.

Ever hear a high note trumpet player play his last octave softly eg HiC to Double Hi C??

I like that last octave characteristic emphasis, it imitates life, as in screech trumpet playing.

It's for screaming.

There is always the Expression pedal and JMcS's eq too.

EDIT: How do you like this organ sample? I heard it once and really liked it.

Can you share impressions of it, especially comparing it to other clones?

Thanks

The difference between what the most and the least learned people know is inexpressibly trivial in relation to that which is unknown

What organ sample?

I'll give the organ some eq tweaks using the eq's available in Logic, might be the solution for now. I just find the mid-range gets a bit lost as the FOH engineer seems to turn down the organ when it starts screaming on the top octave.

Or at least that's the impression I get from the stage - could be completely wrong though.

Archived