Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil SP2X vs SP2

Jill

Sorry if I'm repeating old news, I did a search and didn't find a topic on this. I need a great digital piano for playing live with a cover band. Only found one store in Portland that had a Kurzweil to try, and the SP2X sounds gorgeous with great fingering response. It's pretty heavy to tote around to gigs, and I'm wondering if the SP2 has the same touch? The other keyboard that felt great to me was the Yamaha XS6.

Burt Johnson: I don't drink because drinking affects your decision making.

Arthur: You may be right. I can't decide.

Kurzweil Artis 7, SP4-7, SP2, Excelsior accordion, M-Audio ProjectMix I/O

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jill - our church has a SP2X, nice sounding (and playing) instrument. The SP2X is listed as fully weighted, and the SP2 is lightly weighted - they are different Fatar keyboards, both latest generation (no lead in manufacture). The only thing at all that I don't like about the SP2X is that it is a couple of inches LONGER than most 88 key keyboards, so we cannot find a moderately priced hard case for it.

I personally have a PC2 (76key) and PC2X (88 key). The best I can describe it: For classical piano, I prefer the feel of the PC2X, it is a bit heavier touch and more responsive to delicate differences in touch. However, I leave the PC2 at church and play it regularly - I don't really have any problems in playing with the band with it. The touch is a bit lighter, but still feels piano-like (compared to my K2661 or K2000VP, which are 61 key synth action).

If I am doing organ or bass parts, the 61 key synth action is best for long time playing - less resistance. However, they are not so good for acoustic, Rhodes, Wurly, or even strings and orchestral parts.

So, the touch won't be exactly the same, but it will still feel more piano-like than a synth action.

Jim

Kurzweil K2000VP, PC2, PC2X, K2661, PC3X

HP DAW, eMu 1820M. ThinkPad DAW, eMu 1616M, several soft wynths

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

It's pretty heavy to tote around to gigs, and I'm wondering if the SP2 has the same touch? The other keyboard that felt great to me was the Yamaha XS6.

Jill,

The SP2 has a semi-weighted action (more than a non-weighted like the XS6, not as 'heavy' as the SP2X 'piano/hammer' action. Realistically, it's not too far a stretch to get used to, and you will shave a few pounds (like 20!) off your rig - the SP2 weighs in at 28lbs, the 'X' model at 48lbs.

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Jim and cj for your input. Guess I'll buy the SP2 "blind" and hope it has fast finger response. Always the 30 day return policy.

Burt Johnson: I don't drink because drinking affects your decision making.

Arthur: You may be right. I can't decide.

Kurzweil Artis 7, SP4-7, SP2, Excelsior accordion, M-Audio ProjectMix I/O

Archived