Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I've officially joined the Univalve club

Hound Dog

I bought a Univalve on Ebay. It is in great shape.

This thing is wonderful! I got an avatar 212 to go with it.

Aside from messing around for convenience or a quick fix or backup, I'm through with digital modelers. I've reunited myself with true tone. Formula that works for me: Solid guitar + good cable + quality tube amp + quality cabinet and speakers = pure sustain, feedback when I want it and glorious overdrive. It is organic. You can hear and feel it.

Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now you're talking! :thu:

I totally dig my Flexi....THD makes some sweet gear.

Good luck with it...and yeah, aren't the Avatar cabs great? :cool:

Did you get a traditional 212...or the Vintage...or the Contemporary? What speakers did you get?

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Welcome to 'tonetown' brother. I've hade mine for about 4 years and never regretted buying it. I run it thru a 2x12 cab loaded with vintage jensens. The Flexi is high on my list of things I must have before I depart this glorious realm of inequity. :)

Seriously though, now your going to have to get a second job to build up your supply of NOS tubes.

The cabinet is the 212 vintage with vintage 30's. I wasn't sure about that one. I originally like the look of the traditional. But once it came, I was so glad I got the vintage. It looks great.

I will have to find some tubes to keep around. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how you carry your tubes around. I do not travel much, but I might want to take the head and a few tubes to a friends house.

Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

I have the Avatar Vintage too...in 112 and 212.

I'm running a G12H30 and Vintage 30 in the 212. I originally had a pair of G12H30 speakers in it...but it was too much low end...it's a BIG cab. Swapping out one for a Vintage 30 took some of the big low end out, and also added a bit more bite to the cab.

The 112 cab has a G12H30...and in that cab, the Vintage 30 by itself didn't quite work for me...whereas the single G12H30 sounds perfect with that cab. :thu:

Just get one of those small universal hardshell mic cases for carrying spare tubes. A couple of pieces of foam should keep the tubes safe. If you have no individual boxes for the tubes...just wrap them with bubble wrap and put them in the case.

Tubes can last 3 months or 30 years....

Some of the new reissues are not well made....and some old NOS tubes are just...OLD. :)

But the real thing with the THD amps is not about replacing bad tubes...it's about having different types of tubes, as those amps allow the use of many varieties, and not just one.

So you can change the flavor of the amp any time you like. :cool:

This thing is wonderful! I got an avatar 212 to go with it.

Aside from messing around for convenience or a quick fix or backup, I'm through with digital modelers. I've reunited myself with true tone. Formula that works for me: Solid guitar + good cable + quality tube amp + quality cabinet and speakers = pure sustain, feedback when I want it and glorious overdrive. It is organic. You can hear and feel it.

Isn't the difference startling? It was for me, anyway. The downside was that I had to replace all my effects, and in the end I use few and tend to keep them out of the circuit unless they have to be there.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Congrats.. I made that switch also from the POS modelers which are good for pretty much just modern rock/metal. What freedom there is in an all tube amp. All of the nuances of your fingers tone doesn't come out in the modelers nearly as well because the tube amp reacts to your volume, pressure, etc... Thanks be to the tone gods!!

Archived