Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Playing guitar through bass cab

jimbojones

So I hope I'm posting this in the right forum. I was recently playing upright bass in a psychobilly/surf/garage rock band until the band kinda crapped out. Now, we're thinking of reforming with yours truly on guitar. Here's my question:

I was recently looking for a decent bass cab to play gigs with (i borrowed my drummer's in the band when we played shows) and I was wondering if I can kill two birds with one stone by getting a cab I can play guitar through as well. I've heard of people doing this. Obviously, the guitar tone I'd be using would be very clean, bright, with reverb. Could this work with a cab that had a tweeter on it?

I asked the guy at my local Guitar Center if I could play guitar through a bass cab and he said no way Jose, thinking it'd screw up the speaker due to different frequencies. I was a little skeptical of his advice, but maybe he's right.

What do y'all think?

- James

primus sucks

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jose, Juan does not know what he is talking about. Guitars thru bass cabs usually sound as good as or better than a guitar cab. Guitar combos usually have a lot of Guizmo (hitech word) EQs onboard. You don't need no stinkin' Guizmos.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

If you buy a bass cab for double duty, I'd suggest getting one with a pad for the tweeter. I've played guitar through cabs with "tweeters"...they all sounded like crap IMHO. Most guitar cabs/speakers roll off pretty steeply above about 3K.

Guitar through a bass speaker will work.

Guitar through a bass amp will not sound so good, unless it's a vintage bassman.

Just a note, my brother plays all our electric acoustic material through my Firebass 700, 2x15 cab, and 8x10 cab. It's the sweetest acoustic guitar sound you could ever imagine, and none of the guitar rigs are even in the same ballpark.

Feel free to visit my band's site

Delusional Mind

It is funny you posted this now...yesterday evening I drug out my Strat and GT-8 and ran it into my bass rig to see how it would sound. I was really pleased with the tonal variety I was able to get. I mean, it took a little tweaking, as I started with everything set flat, but I was albe to dial in quite a few tones that sounded really good to my ears. From really smooth clean tones to gritty Plexi tones, to full on metal, it all sounded pretty good. The biggest drawback is that my 8x10 cab is just too big to be in the house, so I had to sit in the garage the whole time. :D

My doctor says I'm A.D.D. - I just like to think of it as "multi-tasking"...

Ibanez SR-505

Ibanez SRX-595 (sold...)

Peavey Tour 700

Hartke 8x10

Boss GT-8 multi-effects board

He's playing an acoustic guitar? Not an electric guitar?

The preamp sections of guitar amps are very different from the preamp sections of bass amps. Bass players want a preamp and amplifier that amplifies. Guitar players want a preamp and amp that shape the tone.

He plays a couple of electric acoustic guitars.

example:

http://www.delusionalmind.com/equip/rckartwood.jpg

and they sound amazing through my bass rig with everything set flat. Dunno why, it just does.

Delusional Mind

Guitar through a bass amp will not sound so good, unless it's a vintage bassman.

I disagree Jeremy,

Guitar amps are certainly voiced differently, so guitar through a bass amp will sound different, but it won't necessarily sound bad.

Just depends on the tone you're after.

I've heard a few that sound downright gorgeous.

It ain't all at the Vintage Bassman ;)

:thu:

Hmmmm. This thread got me to thinking about how my acoustic guitar would sound through my Trace Elliot combo. And the answer is that it was pretty nice. There was an obvious lack of reverb, but I think it would be adequate for a small gig.

As for your own circumstances? How about just getting a guitar combo amp? There are lots of guitar combo amps out there. And many of them are very gig capable. The Fender Twin Reverb anyone?

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/DocTazz/other/musicgear/IbanezRG7321-Indo2005or06/IMG5210s.jpg

Ibanez RG7321 with Dali.

That seven string guitar would rule in a bass rig. I usually tune it AEADGBE, low to high. Imagine it with a Robert Keeley modded Boss Metal Zone, switched to Ultra mode... the low end would be MASSIVE.

Step right this way, sir. :cool:

Well, I have played my basses, active and passive, through guitar amps. I used a 4x12" Marshall guitar cab with no problems for a longer period of time in rehersals. The slanted cab sounded actually very good.

These people that talk about "serious damage", I would love to hear the serious justifications. Does the "serious damage" happen because of the moon phases or sunspots?

A Fender Twin is a great sounding amp. And it's very loud and heavy.

Get something half that size.

I've got a Peavey Backstage for my guitars. Since I never play guitar outside of my house, it works great for me.

That was just a quick and easy example. I actually like the Princeton Reverb myself. Much more compact.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

A Fender Twin is a great sounding amp. And it's very loud and heavy.

Get something half that size.

I've got a Peavey Backstage for my guitars. Since I never play guitar outside of my house, it works great for me.

That was just a quick and easy example. I actually like the Princeton Reverb myself. Much more compact.

Another amp to try is the Eden Nemesis 1x8. If a bass sounds good through it, (and it does), then a guitar should also. Plus they only weigh about 10 lbs and cost $130.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

These people that talk about "serious damage", I would love to hear the serious justifications. Does the "serious damage" happen because of the moon phases or sunspots?

A guitar cab will handle bass at low to moderate levels. If you crank it up you're going to have problems. The issue *usually* is due to excursion. Guitar speakers typically don't have as much as bass speakers, and you need it to get truly thumping bass. That tends to make people drive the amp harder and harder, trying to get that thump, and you get to the point where you either start bottoming out the voice coil, or melting it..

Anyone who can exercise moderation and not expect the amp to loosen the nails in the walls can use a guitar cab just fine.. I did it over at a friend's house for about 6 months after I started playing with no problems. I also watched a guy cook his guitarist's 4x12 marshall cab trying to coax a fat tone from it.

Delusional Mind

A guitar cab will handle bass at low to moderate levels. If you crank it up you're going to have problems. The issue *usually* is due to excursion. Guitar speakers typically don't have as much as bass speakers, and you need it to get truly thumping bass. That tends to make people drive the amp harder and harder, trying to get that thump, and you get to the point where you either start bottoming out the voice coil, or melting it..

Anyone who can exercise moderation and not expect the amp to loosen the nails in the walls can use a guitar cab just fine.. I did it over at a friend's house for about 6 months after I started playing with no problems. I also watched a guy cook his guitarist's 4x12 marshall cab trying to coax a fat tone from it.

And if you play a 5 string, don't expect a fundamental from the lowest string on a guitar cab, or you'll see the above happen...

Archived