Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Probably a useless post - Musicians Friend Disappointment

Ross Brown

Simple. I ordered a Fender Jazz Bass today. Was listed in stock, ready to ship. In fact, it is still listed that way. It is listed as backordered until July on my order. I called and cancelled the order. :laugh: Is it the game they play or is their own database too much to maintain?.... maybe this should have been a poll.

Grumble grumble grumble :mad: :mad: :mad:.... (good news is that my wife thinks we should go look for one locally tommorrow...) :D

sorry, not as good as the Rickenbacher rant....

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I buy local anymore and get better service and the same or lower price. I would rather keep my money circulating closer to home so more people can afford to go out and see a live band.
"The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know" by Me

Yeah, shop locally, use MF price as a bargaining tool but you'll probably find a better machine and even if its used.

Brocko

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

First, lots of people successfully buy from MF - I don't think it's a game. It could be that they don't have the best inventory management.

I like the shop-locally thing.

RBG - I don't know if you're up to an EB. It takes a certain type of person :grin:

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Interesting, my favorite local shop just threw Fender out.

They carried Fender, Charvel, Guild -- all the Fender brands, really, and sold a fair amount of them.

The owner -- a great guy -- said the Fender salesman tried to push him around. In order to carry Custom Shop, they wanted him to take way more inventory (cash upfront, of course) than he wanted to hold.

The kicker was they also told him he had to kick out a Fender CS competitor, Nash. Since he sells 10 Nash guitars (can't keep them in stock they sell so quick) for every Fender he sells, he said no way.

So he told the salesman to take a hike -- he won't carry any of the Fender brands now.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

My local shops suck ass, unless I come to them with internet pricing - and anymore, these days they tell me to "buy it online, we can't beat that price"....

Sure, it's a good place to get used gear - when you can beat them up for a reasonable "used" price....

Sad part is I watch them screw people over - some poor kid came in with one of those Johnson mini-combos (1x10) asking a mere $100 for it. No dice. Salesman offered him $30 - he picked it up and walked out.

Used gear is a crap shoot. Most people (non-musicians) are morons who subscribe to "it's old, so it must be worth something". Two years ago, a good friend of mine looked like I tried to kill his kids when I offered $200 for used 1993 Alvarez MT5 acoustic. Until the local Alverez dealer told him it was only worth $175 - with case. I gave him the $200 and a 13 y.o. bottle of merlot because I'm a hell of a guy.

I normally use the "on-line" price as a barganing tool with my local music stores. Teb Brown's can get anything I want in two weeks (three if it's Peavey - maybe rant that later) for a pretty close price. Like most of you, I prefer to give my money to my drummer friend, a junior college music major and two high-school band geeks - aka employees.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

First, lots of people successfully buy from MF - I don't think it's a game. It could be that they don't have the best inventory management.

I like the shop-locally thing.

RBG - I don't know if you're up to an EB. It takes a certain type of person :grin:

Tom

Word. I had the same experience with Sweetwater concerning a soft gig bag for my Nord Electro 73 keyboard. It was listed as "in stock" online but when I went to order it, it was "out of stock".

They probably sold the last one while I was entering my order.

Unless they lock the item upon the search they cannot truly guarantee it will be "in stock."

Metro-Detroit gets dissed regularly but I'll tell you one thing--the local stores here are willing to stock AND to negotiate the price.

One I frequent will meet or even BEAT published prices--online or otherwise. And they do.

So I shop locally as often as I can.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Not a MF story, but a local store issue. Looking to upgrade PA gear for the band, and I've been cruising Craigslist. Saw a used 12 track Peavey, an older model, good shape for $100. I keep it in mind. I stop by a local store, where I've been shopping for 25 years (yet rarely cut a buck off of any price). They have the 16 track version of the Peavey mixer, also used; but no price info. Finally get an associate to check the price; after a LONG wait, he comes back and says, we don't have that in the system, but Lou says it's $750." I let them know that 4 more channels aren't worth $650, as I've seen a used 12 track for $100. "Well, why the hell don't you buy that one?" he replies. I say "I will; I was just giving you a chance to get my business and see if you would offer a more reasonable price."

Three days later, I made the exchange with the lister- in that store's parking lot. Sweet. Much better headroom than my Alesis mixer. I'm happy, and not as poor as whomever ends up buying the 16 channel job.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

MF is great unless you need to change an order. I went through HELL trying to remove a duplicate gift certificate purchase and had to go so far as to cancel the order on my credit card because MF customer service was so surly and idiotic.

Word to the wise -- make sure an order you place to MF is right the first time or it won't go well.

Bass is key.

----

Warmoth custom 4 string

* Quilted maple top/mahogany

* Maple neck, ebony board

* Audere preamp; Lindy Fralin pickups

* Badass bridge; Hipshot tuners.

Thx Joe Mergens at Mojotone.

The "customer service" people for Musicians Friend probably don't work directly for MF...they're probably employed by a "call center" that handles phone orders and "customer dis-service" for several retailers.

I know from personal experience that this is true for American Musical Supply and Overstock.com.

I also know from personal experience that MF's inventory tracking and Shipping Dept. leave much to be desired. But their Customer Service people have always been helpful when my orders were screwed up.

I'm sure you could work the issue with the Fender J out. Had to be a glitch. The new 2008's are really nice; if I didn't already own one I'd set my sights on the new ones.

I've had good relationships with customer service at MF when I had to return/exchange pickups and my Badass II bridge (was supposed to get a Badass III and didn't realize!). Don't give up. Of course there are numerous other places to shop for a new J Bass.

Rickenbacker rant? :confused: I guess you mean the fact that they are, by far, the SLOWEST moving company in the world for guitar production?

EDIT: Oh, that Rickenbacker rant.

I had a problem with getting MF to ship my Lexicon recording interface last year. The problem was that I ordered it when they were in the middle of switching warehouses & they just couldn't seem to find & ship the thing.

I'm not buying gear much these days, although I did just get a nice set of earbud headphones that are suitable as IEM's.

Archived