Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RD700SX Pedal Assign - PLEASE help!

Mickey Keys

All right, all you fellow 700SX owners out there ... I'm stuck!

This is going to sound really stupid, but ...

I want to be able to use a foot switch to simply turn a zone on/off in some of my setups ... for example, to switch from acoustic piano on zone 1 to tonewheel organ on zone 2 and back again in a song like "Bobby McGee".

But for the life of me I can't find the parameter that controls this! Either in the main "Edit" screen or in the setup/zone info screens.

I can make octave jumps, modulation, rhythm on/off and everything else work so I KNOW it's not the foot switch.

I've had the board for 6 months now and I love it! It does everything else that I need it to do. I'm not a dummy, but I'm stuck on this. :mad:

If I can just master this I can start leaving my QS7.1 home since I only touch it on two songs in a nite anyway, so my sciatica will be eternally grateful. :)

What in heaven's name do I need to look for?

Thanks in advance-

-Mike

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What makes you think that this function is even assignable? Just because you need this function, doesn't mean that the designers even thought of it.

If you have been through the lists of assignable parameters and not seen it, it's probably not there.

Moe

---

It's not an option.

Some 'sideways thinking' is to have the pedal assigned to volume, with the curve being inverse for one of the zones (i.e. when Zone 1 = 127, Zone 2 = 0, and vice versa), to allow you to fade between the two tones... but there's nothing indicating that this is possible in the manual.

The only thing that might work is to use one of the "MFX" settings, somehow changing the routing of the zones to end up with something like I suggest above. I don't have a 700SX, just the downloaded manual, so beyond that I wouldn't know where to begin. Maybe this helps, though. ;)

It's not an option.

Some 'sideways thinking' is to have the pedal assigned to volume, with the curve being inverse for one of the zones (i.e. when Zone 1 = 127, Zone 2 = 0, and vice versa), to allow you to fade between the two tones... but there's nothing indicating that this is possible in the manual.

The only thing that might work is to use one of the "MFX" settings, somehow changing the routing of the zones to end up with something like I suggest above. I don't have a 700SX, just the downloaded manual, so beyond that I wouldn't know where to begin. Maybe this helps, though. ;)

Thanks for trying...

:)

-Mike

Well, according to Roland tech support I have found out this is not an available option.

The only thing I dislike - no, let's be fair - absolutely HATE :mad: about this otherwise wonderful instrument.

But I guess I'll just treat it as another challenge I have to live with...

-Mike

Well, setting aside that the word hate is completely inappropriate in this context, and irrational towards an inanimate object, and stems from an unrealistic expectation on your part... ;)

There might be a possibility to do this using two CC pedals (i.e. Roland EV-5). The 700SX supports two control pedals simultaneously; you could theoretically set FC1 to control the volume of Zone 1, and FC2 to control the volume of Zone 2, and use two feel to fade between the two as appropriate...

(I've got suggestions for using one foot to accomplish this, but let's take baby steps on this one... ;) )

Of course, there's always the obvious question: why not just do a patch change where appropriate? :confused:

Anyway... good luck in dealing with your anger issues on the subject... :thu:

Well, setting aside that the word hate is completely inappropriate in this context, and irrational towards an inanimate object, and stems from an unrealistic expectation on your part... ;)

There might be a possibility to do this using two CC pedals (i.e. Roland EV-5). The 700SX supports two control pedals simultaneously; you could theoretically set FC1 to control the volume of Zone 1, and FC2 to control the volume of Zone 2, and use two feel to fade between the two as appropriate...

(I've got suggestions for using one foot to accomplish this, but let's take baby steps on this one... ;) )

Of course, there's always the obvious question: why not just do a patch change where appropriate? :confused:

Sven, you are on the right track. I've explained the steps to the Poster on the ' other forum '

Assign piano to upper 1. Assign his other patch to Upper 2.

simple use of an expression pedal on FC1 or Fc2 for his horn/string/whatever patch on Upper 2

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Hey Greg... thanks, I was hoping you'd pop in on this thread. :thu:

My understanding of what you're suggesting is that it would fade in the Upper 2 tone, but Upper 1 one still sound... I think he wants Upper 2 to 'replace' Upper 1... ?

How ya doing, Sven ? The poster has asked for a couple things (on the other forum,too). Hard to keep track.

The simple patch change is the easiest, ( I would use a switch pedal) which you mentioned

He can also press the dang Upper 1 and Upper 2 button for on/off

on the 2 patch sounds

I hope he doesn't ask for the chord changes on the tune

:D

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

LOL... thanks, Greg. I understand the confusion between the two forums... that's why I don't go to the other one anymore. :thu:

If the O.P. does ask for the changes, I'm sure I've got the keyboard tab for it around here somewhere.... ;):wave:

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway... good luck in dealing with your anger issues on the subject... :thu:

Thanks, Sven ... this is of course what I wound up doing, and it's working very well.

I was just wondering if anyone else out there had unlocked some way to assign a foot switch to that function.

The anger management thing's doing very well too, thanx ...

Now if someone would just stop stuffing my inbox with these stupid keyboard tabs ... ;)

-Mike

Archived