Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Smoke on the Water

Ross Brown

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The internet is a wondrous invention.

Years ago, when I first got onto the internet, I thought the greatest thing (well... maybe second greatest :laugh: ) was finally finding out what the f*** Mick Jagger had been singing all those years.

Push the button Frank.

The internet is a wondrous invention.

Years ago, when I first got onto the internet, I thought the greatest thing (well... maybe second greatest :laugh: ) was finally finding out what the f*** Mick Jagger had been singing all those years.

I had less trouble deciphering Mick Jagger than I did, for example, with the Traveling Wilburys :freak:

Tom Petty

Bob Dylan

Roy Orbison

Jeff Lynne

George Harrison

Quite possibly the greatest concentration of poor diction in the history of recorded music! :D

Claude Nobs, big time promotor, heavily involved with Montreux, and close friend of the band, was literally pulling wasted/disoriented/smoke damaged kids out of the place.

The rest of the song apparently accurately reflects Purple's efforts to get the Machine Head record made, renting out the closed Grand Hotel ("we ended up at the Grand Hotel, it was empty cold and bare, with the Rolling Stones Truck thing just outside, we made our music there"), bringing in some mattresses (for soundproofing) and red lights (lamps for ambience), enduring poor climate control (",,,,and few red lights, we made a place to sweat").

In my band Pink Freud, I play keyboards, and when we do that song, people just go apesh!t. We do a few others too, Maybe I'm A Leo, Woman from Tokyo and Knockin at Your Back Door. Smoke is a closer though. ;-)

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Somebody give "Pictures Of Home" a listen and tell me again that Roger Glover is lacking technique. As for "Smoke," I think it has the reputation of being the simplest, yet most often misplayed song around. Those aren't barre chords at the beginning, g*****ists, they're fourths. Maybe it's not on the list with "Freebird" and "Stairway" because so many haven't actually played it right yet.

And +1000 on Jon Lord's thick, juicy, meaty Hammond sound. That's what an organ sounds like run through Hiwatt stacks alongside the Leslies. :rawk:

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

..... and red lights (lamps for ambience), enduring poor climate control (",,,,and few red lights, we made a place to sweat").

Red lights? Few old beds? Sweat? All this time I thought they'd brought in some hookers.

Really. That's what I thought......

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Actually that's a Hammond sounds like through Marshalls instead of leslies; Lord was using Marshall PAs for Machine Head cuz he thought he was relying too much on the sound of the leslie spinning and doing less "playing".
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Archived