Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Coming out of retirement ....Maybe!!

johnnyd

Hello guys, this is my first post. I've been visiting your forum for some time now and find it to be a great source of information. I'm an over 50 guy who has played the bar gigs in various cover bands when we all had our hair.Anyway to get to the point, I was asked to play again with some local musicians(just a weekend thing,probably doing current cover songs and some classic rock). I still have my old Korg SG PRO X and my Roland JV-80,but I know I have to upgrade. I've been reading up on the Nord Stage and it seems to be the ideal board (great organ, synth, lightweight,and piano) From my research I see that some people hate the piano samples while others love them. So my question is How does the Stage piano compare to my Korg SG PRO X ( I am not in an area where I can try the Stage) Now I know there are probably not too many of you that can compare the two,since the Pro x is an oldy but any input would be helpful. $3000 is a huge chunk of cash for this board(for me),but if the piano sample is better than my old Korg I may take the plunge.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know enough about the SGPro X, but I think sampled keyboards have a come a long way in a short time. Give yourself a chance to try out several keyboards in the market. The Nord Stage is a great board ... but if you end up with it after some auditions, you will be less likely to have regrets. Besides it's fun.

Welcome :)

Jerry

Welcome back. For straight-ahead gigging with basics, the Kurzweil P-series and Nord Stage are perhaps the best all-around solutions, but it comes at a premium.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

.....I was asked to play again with some local musicians(just a weekend thing,probably doing current cover songs and some classic rock).....

Hop on in, the water is fine!

.....From my research I see that some people hate the piano samples while others love them. So my question is How does the Stage piano compare to my Korg SG PRO X ( I am not in an area where I can try the Stage).....

I've been gigging with a Nord Stage for approximately two years. I absolutely love this keyboard....except the grand pianos. They are horrible, especially in a live performance application. I have remedied this situation with a GEM RP-X module, and this has been working out nicely.

A lot of people feel the Nord Stage has great organs, Rhodes, Wurlis, and Clavs. I would like to add that the Synth section is under-rated. Being that you will be doing classic rock, you will easily be able to obtain many of the synth sounds from that genre (e.g., Journey, Loverboy, Night Ranger, etc.). Also, the Stage is deficient in ROMpler sounds such as acoustic brass, strings, woodwinds, basses, and drums. So unless the JV-80 can handle this stuff (I'm not familiar with this axe), you may want to think about obtaining a synth or module for these types of patches.

DISCLAIMER: It appears that the release of new grand pianos (and other cool upgrades) for the Stage is eminent:

http://www.nordusa.com/stagesoftware.html

I've actually postponed serious consideration of a Kurzweil PC3 or Roland RD-700GX until the new samples are released. My only other gripe is the poor MIDI implementation on the Stage. However, if you plan to use only one or two additional synths/modules with the Stage you'll be fine!

Welcome to the forum!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I forgot to add the 700GX. If piano was my main instrument, that would be the first choice of them all.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Wow thanx for the speedy replies

Piano will be a big part of the mix so it has to be as good or better than my old Korg SGX Pro. I'm only planning a purchase in about 4 months,and since Nord does put out updates maybe I can wait on better piano samples from them. In the meantime I'll be having a blast even with my old dinosaur

Hey Johnny

I used the SGX Pro for years. Anyone remember this from the late 80's-early 90's ?

http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?A_PROD_NO=SGPROX

Man, was it THAT long ago???

Back in the day that had some great sounds on it but by todays standards it's pretty much a dinosaur. But hey, who's to say you can't make great music with it for the time being.

The Nord Stage would be a good way to go judging by the type of music you are doing. Yeah, the Nord piano seems to be the issue, but if you can spring for a good system and run stereo, you'll get optimum results from your Stage or any keyboard for that matter.

As nice as I recall that Korg being, and I got a lot of miles out of mine, I think you'll be pretty knocked has far as the advancement of Digital piano sounds.

Good luck to you.

PS- The Yamaha S90ES was a keyboard that hasn't been mentioned here yet. I have the first generation S90, the Es has the upgraded Piano and might soon be replaced by the XS upgrade (with an even nicer piano)...so if you like the Yamaha sounds you could probably pick up an ES at blowout price once the new one is released.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Well i guess we know who the over 50 guys are. I still enjoy playing the old girl though. I see alot of people are using the S90ES and an Nord Electro. Good organ is also a must for the material we'll be doing. Checking prices,I think I could probably get my little fingers on them for a little more than the price of the Stage (maybe there's no getting away from using 2 boards)

Welcome back to the world of playing live in front of a crowd! While I still have couple of years to go until I hit 50, I do remember the Kord SG-1D, and I think while it is still useable, digital pianos have improved over the years in terms of sound, keyboard feel, and lighter weight. I think the clonewheel (Hammond tonewheel [b-3] simulators) organs have made huge strides. If you are comfortable with using one action-type (weighted piano-like or non-weighted organ-like), workstation keyboards (Motif, Triton, M3, Fantom) or a S90 as Outkaster says, would work well and provide you a wide range of sounds. I need both action styles, so for playing out, I use 2 boards. A Hammond XK-3c (40 lbs. + 10 lbs for a hard case) for organ sounds, and a Yamaha P85 (28 lbs.) for piano sounds. I hook my laptop up to the XK-3c to provide other sounds (ie. Mellotron, clavinet, etc.). I will drag out my Moog Little Phatty for certain shows. Load in and load out take me about 5 minutes (3 trips to the car) with about a 10 minute set up. The setup is fast, light, and provides me with everything I need. The Nord Stage is fine, but you have to pick one action style, and it lacks drawbars which I need. I also think the Hammond XK-3c sounds closer to my real Hammond, but that's just my opinion.

Hi johnnyd. I too have been using the SG-ProX for years. Great board for the basics (pianos, strings, organ) for clubs. It's a tank and you don't have to worry about it. I recently purchased a Kurzweil PC3x to replace it but decided it wasn't worth selling for only $600. Side by side the piano programs are night and day. In a live band situation they are very similar. In fact, the Korg actually cuts through better against out-of-control guitars. I've kept the Korg all of these years because I didn't feel that much improvement from what's out there to warrant spending $2,500+ to replace it. I bought the Kurzweil for my own pleasure. Very similar keybed but much more expressive pianos. Plus it has excellent organs (with drawbars!), full orchestral sounds, and great synth capabilities too. It's 2-inches longer than the Korg and 1-1/2 inches less deep so I can use the same SKB case by moving 2 puzzle pieces of foam. The weight is about the same but the Kurzweil is easier to move due to less depth, less height, and rounded edges. I had been using the Korg with a Roland XP-60 and they will now stay in the rehearsal room. I'll gig with the PC3x and a lightweight controller on top for a second manual. For outdoor or wild bar rock gigs I think I'll still bring the Korg and protect the PC3x. If you are doing rock covers I say keep the Korg and save up for something that really WOWs you. Peace.

Mark

"Think Pink Floyd are whiny old men? No Problem. Turn em off and enjoy the Miley Cyrus remix featuring Pitbull." - Cygnus64

Life is shorter than you think...make it count.

Well there certainly are a lot of options. One thing I found very useful on the SG pro X was the ability to control up to 4 external modules. I'm sure ac lot of the newer boards have this ability

Oh yea I agree there's nothing like the thrill of playing live in front of a drunken crowd!!

Archived