Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wedding gig - Dinner music

Ross Brown

There are three main things which will cause people eating dinner to complain about "the band is too loud, we can't talk."

1) Vocals. It's a lot easier for a band to be perceived as background music is there is no singing.

2) Snare Drum backbeats: As soon as the drummer hits one of these, the volume will go up. Use brushes, use rods, play swing or bossa nova tunes that don't have backbeats.

3) Distorted lead guitar sounds. Even if they are not loud, they are perceived as loud. Listen to "smooth jazz" stations. The guitarists always have the George Benson or Wes Montgomery type of sound.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bump - you're missing the point.

We are a classic rock (75%) and Blues (25%) band.

I'm making suggestions within the context of their band - stuff they might actually know...

Not many rock/blues bands I've ever heard can just break off some Coltrane at the drop of a hat....

You don't need to rip off Coltrane. For f*&ks sake. Play "All Blues" or "Maiden Voyage" or aforementioned "Freedie Freeloader", etc... That stuff is dirt simple to play. Much more difficult to play it exceptionally well but for a dinner background music you don't have to be a genius to pull it off. Most people won't be paying any attention anyway.

edit: I missed the fact that this is 3 months off. If you don't just play some easy jazz standards just play a CD. 3 months to learn a short dinner set of standards is a ridiculous amount of time. And gee... might be able to use those songs again if you ever get offered another gig like this in the future.

Always play a CD during dinner. Always eat and drink for free. Always tell the bride how beautiful she is and the groom what a lucky stiff he is. Always flirt with the single gals. Always thank whoever hired you and ask if the music is okay.

When they're ready to dance - always rock.

Word.

Bass, the final frontier...

http://www.myspace.com/johnnyandtheboomers

Always play a CD during dinner. Always eat and drink for free. Always tell the bride how beautiful she is and the groom what a lucky stiff he is. Always flirt with the single gals. Always thank whoever hired you and ask if the music is okay.

Word.

Bass, the final frontier...

http://www.myspace.com/johnnyandtheboomers

This is crazy.

Why not hire a pianist for the dinner music? I don't see your band pulling off bossa novas and jazz ballads with just 3 months of practice - It ain't that easy. Also, if you decide you are going to play CDs during the dinner section, you better clear that with your employer or I can pretty much guarantee that they will want half of their money back.

There are definitely a variety of ways this thing can go. Like I said, I've seen nearly countless wedding bands. In the NY area weddings and wedding bands are big business, with some of the really good bands getting over 10 grand for a party.

In a lot of these scenarios the keyboard player gets a bigger share. Very often they get hired to do the ceremony music (if it's not at a church), cocktail hour music, playing with the band for dance music, and dinner music, too. So if you don't currently have a keyboard player you may want to reconsider. At least for wedding gigs.

I would make certain to get certain things spelled out in a contract. Especially if you're talking a gig that's bringing in a significant ammount of money.

-First of all: how long will the party be? Standard wedding hall parties are a one hour cocktail party plus a 4 hour banquet. Sometimes the cocktail hour goes 90 minutes. And sometimes the party people want to go overtime...if that's the case, you should get overtime, too. They have to pay the catering hall for that, and you should get your share too since there would be no significant party if the band is busy breaking down and getting ready to leave.

-Spell out in the contract that the band should get fed. That's not an insignificant consideration, believe me. I used to have dinner with the band and photographers, and some of the band members needed a recharge after playing dance music for about 2 & 1/2 hours.

-Get a firm committment with whomever books you regarding what music if any gets played during dinner. Some people are fine with a CD if that's what has been agreed upon. Or there's the aforementioned keyboard player.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Good advice, Nick.

It doesn't have to be all-out jazz it can just be quiet, instrumental versions of tunes. The soloing doesn't have to be anything spectacular - just not so bad that it makes people pay attention but the grooves have to be spot-on in a quiet kind of way.

As I posted before, it doesn't have t be jazz - it can be just old-time standards, laidback soul tunes, movie theme music, country tunes, folk - anything without a backbeat, a distorted guitar, vocals or a trumpet solo (unless it's with a mute).

A++++ comment. Would read again.

That's how we do it downtown.

Play. Just play.

Or.. or...

You could put together clean instrumental versions of Black Sabbath tunes and play them ersatz jazz style.

For example:

The Casualties of Jazz

You could very easily do this with Guns N' Roses or Black Flag... or Iron Maiden.

Imagine the fun.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Three months is not enough to learn maybe 10-12 quieter songs?

And this band has been hired for a professional engagement?

Just saying.

We play "professional engagements" every week, mostly.

I like the CD idea. I like learning some quieter songs. I have no desire to start playing jazz or songs that are of no interest to me/us. There are a million songs we could do, yes. Can we learn 10-12 songs in three months, Yes. I believe I can learn that many in a week, and have (with notes/music, many more).

Can our drummer play quietly, no. That has been addressed.

There are choices to make. I appreciate all of the discussion. Some great ideas and this forum always helps me get a feel for the "norm". Thanks.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Play your blues songs without vocals. Jazz.

Bass is key.

----

Warmoth custom 4 string

* Quilted maple top/mahogany

* Maple neck, ebony board

* Audere preamp; Lindy Fralin pickups

* Badass bridge; Hipshot tuners.

Thx Joe Mergens at Mojotone.

Three months is not enough to learn maybe 10-12 quieter songs?

And this band has been hired for a professional engagement?

Just saying.

I agree. Leaving that money on the table just doesn't make fiscal sense.

And, always get the beef. THe chicken dish always sucks. And the pasta dish is always way overcooked. No exceptions.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Play your blues songs without vocals. Jazz.

Blues without vocals is blues.

Jazz tunes with the word "blues" in the title is jazz.

.... long day I guess, feeling grouchy now....

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

How long is the dinner likely to be? You'll need to price appropriately. One and a half hours extra playing for 5 musicians, are they willing to pay for that?

We usually just provide the iPod solution. I have lots of background music specifically for dinner occasions. One thing that always worries me, is what happens if it somehow gets on Random play. Some of my taste in music isn't exactly background dinner music.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

For the dinner set play:

Green Onions

The Mashed Potato

Red Beans and Rice

Saturday Night Fish Fry

Lumpy Gravy

The Gravy Waltz

Bread and Butter

Savoy Truffle

Alice's Restaurant

Hungry

Jambalaya

Frim Fram Sauce

Dixie Chicken

Cheeseburger in Paradise

Forty Cups of Coffee

Little Green Apples

Tupelo Honey

and to tie in the YouTube Thread:

Memphis Soul Stew.

For the dinner set play:

Green Onions

The Mashed Potato

Red Beans and Rice

Saturday Night Fish Fry

Lumpy Gravy

The Gravy Waltz

Bread and Butter

Savoy Truffle

Alice's Restaurant

Hungry

Jambalaya

Frim Fram Sauce

Dixie Chicken

Cheeseburger in Paradise

Forty Cups of Coffee

Little Green Apples

Tupelo Honey

and to tie in the YouTube Thread:

Memphis Soul Stew.

:rimshot:

I love it! Thanks... You a funny man.

What, nobody noticed 'Auntie Grizelda' in my post?

Buncha' young'uns...

*replaces ear-trumpet and wheels away muttering "Kids today..."*

Good God man! It was buried so deep in there. Had I spotted it I would of been all over it.

Ah, the vocal talents of Peter Tork... it brings a tear to my eye. Really. Seriously.

Good luck with whatever you guys decide to do.

Go on, take the money an' run, whoo, hoo, hoo,

go on, take the money an' run,

go on, take the money an' run.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

What, nobody noticed 'Auntie Grizelda' in my post?

Buncha' young'uns...

*replaces ear-trumpet and wheels away muttering "Kids today..."*

Good God man! It was buried so deep in there. Had I spotted it I would of been all over it.

Ah, the vocal talents of Peter Tork... it brings a tear to my eye. Really. Seriously.

Tork played at our regular venue a few years ago and one of our G Players was there. Apparently, lots of people brought their kids to see what the parents had listened to at that age. According to my buddy, Tork spent all his off-time trying to pick up teenage girls in front of their parents.

Put on a good show though, according to all reports.

Play. Just play.

We usually plays bars. We get $300-$400 for a bar gig. We got $700 for a private party that involved some driving. I think we are cheap, but we like to play and this is pretty consistent pay ($300-$400) for a bar gig around here. Based on this information (not your band), what would you charge for an evening wedding gig. Assume we will play a CD for the dinner music.

This is a very subjective question with many variables. Answer if you can, but be realistic.

I ask just for baselining information.

Based only on my experience in the UK.

I'd break it down into hours. Say a bar gig is turn up, set up and play. Max 4 hours from arrival to departure. That's $100 an hour.

Compare that to the wedding gig.

Turn up, sound check, go away and wait, at start of dinner start background music, go away and wait, come back and play, pack down and leave. You may well be there for 8 hours, only playing for 2-3.

$800 minimum + wedding load up factor. Say someone drops out on the day due to illness etc. You HAVE to do the gig or ruin someones big day. Add $200 for pro dep, and don't forget your insurance.

There's a big difference between bar, dinner dance and wedding, and the money reflects this.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

We usually plays bars. We get $300-$400 for a bar gig. We got $700 for a private party that involved some driving. I think we are cheap, but we like to play and this is pretty consistent pay ($300-$400) for a bar gig around here. Based on this information (not your band), what would you charge for an evening wedding gig. Assume we will play a CD for the dinner music.

This is a very subjective question with many variables. Answer if you can, but be realistic.

I ask just for baselining information.

I would try to fish around for some info. Find out what local DJ's are charging for a wedding. They're part of your competition on the wedding scene.

Part of this depends on your market. Where in PA are you located? Near one of the cities, or more rural PA?

Also keep in mind that the photographer is probably making at least $1K for his job, and if there's a video guy they're making at least that much. With that in mind I might price your band at around $1500. At least for a wedding.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

The guy with a local band with some name-recognision (they play all the car shows and play covered gigs about twice a month) charge $500 to $800 for a wedding. The wedding we've booked is going for $300 with an option for one additional set at $100. We're probably low-ball, but it's a friend of mine, we're still only a trio and we have no name recognision.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Archived