Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recorded drum tracks to practice with?

Ross Brown

I want to pretend I play with a good drummer. Can anyone point me to some CDs of just drummer tracks. Something rockish, funky, etc.

I don't have a drum machine and am just looking for some recorded drum tracks that I can play with. Would be like a drum and bass only practice.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not just pick up a drum machine? They are quite inexpensive..

I know some of my training material have bass tracks on one channel, and drums, guitar or piano on the other stereo channel--this might work for you (but I really kinda question the value..)

My suggestion? get a drum machine. I have had an Alesis SR-16 for 15 years now and it is quite good for such practice. Or get a Boss Dr. Beat DB-90 Metronome which can double as a metronome.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Reminds me of my favorite drummer joke.

Q. What's the difference between a drummer and a drum machine?

A. You only have to punch the instructions into a drum machine once.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

I used to have some Dave Weckl samples formatted for my Ensoniq ASR-10 that sounded fantastic. But for stuff like this you need a "rompler" synthesizer. If you have a sequencer that can trigger some synth sounds you could get some drum MIDI sequences, direct them to MIDI channel 10 and have what you need.

EDIT: Oh, drummer jokes! Here's mine..

The guy with the whip on a ancient ship with 100 slaves pulling oars and

with a drummer who pounds out the tempo of the rowing steps up at the

beginning of the day and announces: "Attention! I have good news and bad

news! And it ain't Geiko! The good news is the drummer is sick today!"

Slaves: "Yea!"

Slave Master; "The bad news is Dave Weckl is filling in!"

Slaves: "Groan!!!!"

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I agree and will look at a drum machine. Thanks. But I can put a CD in the player and press play. I don't need much more than that right now.

Maybe a bit simple minded, but I know what works for me at this time.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Why not just pick up a drum machine? They are quite inexpensive..

+1

I have an el-cheapo Zoom drum machine that sounds great and is perfect for practicing. Drum machines now-a-days come with hundreds of preprogrammed drum patterns in all styles along with many different drum kits and sounds. Plus, CDs will only play each pattern for maybe a few minutes where the drum machine will continuously play a pattern for as long as you want to jam.

Band-in-a-Box

I know...crappy name. But I dig it and use it all the time. It'll sound as good as whatever synth or sound card you're using it with.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

The guys on Guitar Forum rave about EZ Drummer, Addicted to Drums and other PC based applications. I've heard some great stuff from them - far superior to drum program beats.

I was thinking of these as an option or perhaps some recorded loops from an outfit like Beta Monkey (I use these). Of course these options require using a DAW. They are not stand-alone. A relatively inexpenisve approach would be to buy some loops form Beta Monkey and download Audacity (free) for playback.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Poor old Ross just wants a poxy CD IS NO-ONE LISTENING!

Having said all that er ... no. I haven't. I use a PC to practice through so that I can have any tempo and any rhythm I chose from the Apple Logic software. Any PC recording software will have a suite of drum beats. The beauty of the PC based practice is that you can chose any BPM for each selected drum loop. That's very good for your practice.

A further benefit of using recording software is that you can record yourself. There is nothing as brutal as a recording of yourself set against a background tempo. You can see every little deviation up on the tempo-marked screen. Lovely.

I also think you would get bored very quickly with say 20 different rhythms.

Sorry Ross and apologies if you're not old.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Thanks Dave. I am 48 and feeling particularly old this week. Back went out and my wife had to load my entire rig for Saturday's gig. Percoset is very effective but makes me throw up. I took it anyway. Worst pain I have felt for a while. Earlier this week I went to McDonalds and the clerk asked me if I wanted a "senior cup". I went home, dyed my beard and got a haircut.

Looks like I will have to spend some time with a drum machine etc. I was hoping to avoid that for now, just wanted a simple answer. Then move to more later. Oh well.

Ross "the old man" Brown

Be in good cheer sir, I'm 47 and so only a mere flutter behind you. I have an Alesis drum machine, which I want to get rid of. It's not really worth sending to the States I'm afraid.

I have a favourite old man story that I'll tell you one day.

Davo

Well you have to raise the expectation.

A colleague told this story and was relating to a FRIEND of his who must have been about 55.

The fellow was standing in the tube/metro/subway in London travelling home. He noticed a pretty filly sitting by the window and took in all her features. She was beautiful in a sophisticated way. Classy. Momentarily their eyes met. The friend thought that there must have been a frisson between them. No, she was too classy, nevermind. Then it happened again and then again. The friend was sure there was something going on. He looked around to see if any other commuters had noticed. They hadn't. The friends' heart missed a beat. Then he looked at her again and wondered how he would be able to engage with her. Whilst he was considering this he noticed that she was getting up. Panic ... what should he do. She came right up to the friend and whispered in his ear."

"would you like my seat?"

I kid you not, that is a true story.

Davo

Well you have to raise the expectation.

A colleague told this story and was relating to a FRIEND of his who must have been about 55.

The fellow was standing in the tube/metro/subway in London travelling home. He noticed a pretty filly sitting by the window and took in all her features. She was beautiful in a sophisticated way. Classy. Momentarily their eyes met. The friend thought that there must have been a frisson between them. No, she was too classy, nevermind. Then it happened again and then again. The friend was sure there was something going on. He looked around to see if any other commuters had noticed. They hadn't. The friends' heart missed a beat. Then he looked at her again and wondered how he would be able to engage with her. Whilst he was considering this he noticed that she was getting up. Panic ... what should he do. She came right up to the friend and whispered in his ear."

"would you like my seat?"

I kid you not, that is a true story.

Davo

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Funny.... sad, but funny.

I have none of the facilities discussed, but I do have SoundForge. I took the drum intro to a song, looped it a few times, and put it on repeat in iTunes. Worked out 3 or 4 TV themes to that beat.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived