Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Incoming Electro

Dave Bryce

In the future I might want to purchase an electro... so I'm wondering, since I already have a keyboard would it be better to buy the rack? I'm still new to keyboards so I don't fully understand these sorts of things... but would buying the rack equate to the same thing as buying an electro and using that as a rack i.e. are the features the same?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You'd get the same sounds and effects, but lose out on the waterfall keyboard. Kanker has both. He finds the rack useful when he travels with a band and they provide a keyboard from backline as a controller. This way he's guaranteed to have "his" sounds with him at all times.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 1 month later...
With the Electro Rack, you also don't have the controls right in front of you above the keys--you need to put the rack unit off to the side and turn to fiddle with it. This does not seem like it would be convenient.

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

With the Electro Rack, you also don't have the controls right in front of you above the keys--you need to put the rack unit off to the side and turn to fiddle with it. This does not seem like it would be convenient.
Not at all. I set mine right on top of my keyboard, right in front of me. The only keyboard I've ever had to use where this was problematic was a Kurzweil, and then I just placed it to the left hand side of the keyboard.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Mike, I have an Electro 73 and a Korg CX-3 (which I ceased to use the day I got the Electro). One day I decided to try using the CX as a controller to the Electro to see if the important Hammond-style controls worked thru MIDI.

They do.

Let me say that using the best part of the CX-3 - i.e. the drawbars, knobs, switches and especially their keyboard, was a revelation. If you get an Electro Rack and MIDI it up to your CX-3, you'll be in Hammond heaven.

Here for the gear.

I just use an electro2 61 where I used to use a rack. I like having another set of keys on top with the option to either midi it through a set-up [kurz pc2 or pc1x] - Like play the electro from the lower unit entirely; or use the electro as is as the upper board. 3 July "kaboom town" gig in Addison,TX, I used it non-midi and used the pc1x as a piano and the electro for rhodes, and clav.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Archived