Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Andrew Lloyd Weber on AI...

tarkus

... prior to heaving my set out the window and disconnecting my satellite (I currnetly have no transmitted visual media, aside from the net and dvd) my wife and I were watching American Idle.

Andrew Lloyd Weber was the guest something or other...

His deportment, look and actions were exactly like Austin Powers.

Frightening.

Was it me or was your TV doing this?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/arts/2007/03/28/talentshow460.jpg

Yeah baby, Yeah...

http://www.solarnavigator.net/films_movies_actors/film_images/Austin_Danger_Powers_Mike_Myers.jpg

good observation with the Austin Powers lookalike... But I am not a fan of his music.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Andrew Lloyd Weber is one of the more prolific composers of musical theater in the 20th century. His name and his music will be around for a long time.

Once Idol cuts away 5 or 6 of the "less talented" shall we say, they throw a curve ball like musical theater night or big band night. It separates people out and is hilarious at the same time. If you can really sing, you can sing just about anything.

I believe that Weber did the show as a favor to Simon. From watching various candid online clips you can tell that Weber was a little horrified at how the kids slaughtered his songs.

But then again, people still think that Idol is a "singing contest" when in fact it's really a contest about who can hopefully "sell the most records."

www.cityprayz.com

www.thesalvationpoem.com

I was told once that Mr. Webber is the single most financially successful musical composer in the history of the world. - -??

Certainly the Estate of Richard Rodgers is mindblowing. Within 5 miles of almost every house in America is a high school doing a Rodgers musical. :laugh: Webbers stuff is hard to perform, not many community theatres tackle Evita. Not many high schools do Phantom or Cats.

Rodgers' musicals are rental only for the sheet music. At any given moment, there must be THOUSANDS of performances of The Sound of Music, South Pacific, Oklahoma, etc. Every day, everywhere. His grandson is a successful composer, he wrote " A light in the Piazza". He apparently has most of the estate, and is a VERY wealthy guy.

Webbers stuff is hard to perform, not many community theatres tackle Evita. Not many high schools do Phantom or Cats.

Actually, I think you may find that's more to do with The Really Useful Group (ALW's company) being hugely protective about the shows. My wife is a primary school teacher and had to go through hoops to get a licence for her kids to perform Joseph. Anything currently with a run in the West End or any national is automatically off-limits, I believe.

Yamaha: P515, CP88, Genos 1, HX1

Sorry - I didnt' mean this thread to get 'serious'...

Just a funny observation on my part.

BTW - ALW - not an original bone in his body when it comes to composition. :P

And nicked countless others. "Music of the Night", from Phantom, is a direct lift from Puccini's La Fancuilla del West.

I usually play a Puccini opera every season, this year was Tosca. Lots of "Phantom" in Tosca too. :laugh:

I was told once that Mr. Webber is the single most financially successful musical composer in the history of the world. - -??

According to some mentalities Mozart is the lesser talent between Webber and old unlucky Amadeus

I looked up luck in a dictionary

it said there is an inverse proportion between talent or lack thereof and financial reward for creative efforts

By that reckoning

Bach is the most unlucky fellow ever, with Mozart and Ludwig close behind

and conversely Kenny G and A L Web are the luckiest jive turkeys in history!

The difference between what the most and the least learned people know is inexpressibly trivial in relation to that which is unknown

Archived