Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Out-of-Character Debut Albums

The Best Debut Album thread got me to thinking about debut albums that really don't fit in with what an artist/group ultimately became? A couple of examples: Depeche Mode - Speak and Spell Eurythmics - In the Garden Of course, this could get complicated between import-only releases, independent releases prior to major label releases, demos, etc., but you get the idea.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
not sure if debut album fits but debut singles off the album that really don't fit the group.. Yellow - Coldplay More Than Words - Extreme
overheard street personality on Venice Beach "Man, that Bullshit is Bulllshhittt...."

Then you've got The Moody Blues 'Go Now' (1965) which kinda doesn't match '...the sneezing of 10 million butterflies' and mellotrons and whatnot that they did in the later 60's - and last month at The Mountain Winery in Saratoga CA... kylen

[quote]Originally posted by Botch.: [b]Firefall. They had a big hit with "Kiss you all over", around 1978, then eventually became a big country band.[/b][/quote]I am frightened that I know this... "Kiss you all over" was from the ephemeral Exile. [url=http://www.firefall.com/history.asp]everything that anyone would ever need to know about Firefall[/url]

David Bowie's Space Oddity. Or if you want, those albums that came out before it, either way, they don't fit him well. Sure, bowie changes like crazy, but this folky sound just didn't feel like him. It would have been cool if the entire Space Oddity album sounded more like the title track. I also agree with the depeche mode example too. As obvious reason for the change came from the fact that martin started writing songs. An even bigger reason was the huge change in technology.

Journey's 1st album released in 1975 with Gregg Rolie on keys and vocals. This sounded more like a prog rock combination of Pink Floyd, Rush and fusion jazz.There where a few instrumentals on the album too. Compare that to the later MTV/pop radio crap with Steve Perry doing vocals(blech!!) and Jonathan Cain on keys. Sounds like two completely different bands.

[quote]Originally posted by spokenward: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Botch.: [b]Firefall. They had a big hit with "Kiss you all over", around 1978, then eventually became a big country band.[/b][/quote]I am frightened that I know this... "Kiss you all over" was from the ephemeral Exile. [url=http://www.firefall.com/history.asp]everything that anyone would ever need to know about Firefall[/url] [/b][/quote]D'Oh!!! My bad, you're correct. Now did Exile go country, or am I all mixed up? :freak:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

From heavy metal screamer... [img]http://www.lyricscafe.com/b/bolton_michael/michael_bolotin.jpg[/img] ...to the greatest balladeer of his generation. :D [img]http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drd700/d775/d77548d7y1l.jpg[/img]

How about Parliament. A 60's do-wop group, complete with the black suits and skinny ties with there 1st hit Testify. Later on came Diapers, spaceships, James Brown horns, a multitude of George Clinton's alter egos, teenage guitar geniuses, and Acid.
TROLL . . . ish.

[quote]Originally posted by 8 More Lives: [b]The Best Debut Album thread got me to thinking about debut albums that really don't fit in with what an artist/group ultimately became? A couple of examples: Depeche Mode - Speak and Spell Eurythmics - In the Garden Of course, this could get complicated between import-only releases, independent releases prior to major label releases, demos, etc., but you get the idea.[/b][/quote]Del Amitri's Debut Album certainly fits this bill!
This way, no, wait, that way!

[quote]Originally posted by Sylver: [b]The first two Iron Maiden albums.[/b][/quote]Well of course the first two Maiden discs were out-of-character - Harris fired 60% of the band after [i]Killers[/i] - out goes Di'Anno, Stratton, and Sampson, in comes Dickinson, Smith, and Burr (later traded to Trust for McBrain - pretty good deal for McBrain, sucky one for Burr)

Archived