Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Hava Nagila during hockey games.

Ed Coury

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm pretty sure the main part of Hava Nagila is in a major key. My funk band plays a few Jewish weddings each year. The backing chords at the beginning are major with the horn part being minor. We do G major to c minor.

I'm pretty sure the main part of Hava Nagila is in a major key. My funk band plays a few Jewish weddings each year. The backing chords at the beginning are major with the horn part being minor. We do G major to c minor.

This is purely from memory, but I thought the melody was in a minor key....I guess I was wrong. I wondered why they play this song at hockey games anyway, and I found out that organ players wanted something they could find sheet music for, that sounded vaguely Russian (for the Russian hockey players) :-)

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

Does anyone know why Hava Nagila, when played during NHL hockey games, is played in a major key?

It's called NAWMBS (North American White Majority Brain Syndrome). Indicators include inability to hear minor keys or comprehend accents on beats 2 and 4.

Does anyone know why Hava Nagila, when played during NHL hockey games, is played in a major key?

It's called NAWMBS (North American White Majority Brain Syndrome). Indicators include inability to hear minor keys or comprehend accents on beats 2 and 4.

LOL! That was my suspicion :whistle:

As any hockey player can attest....it's NOT Hava Nagila that they're playing - it's Have A Tequila! ...which for most hockey players is a MAJOR endeavor. It's a case of being the same thing ... only different!

btw....Ed, Marko tells me I missed you by about 8 minutes tonight at Vivio's! Damn.... (I was late because I was playing hockey... Have A Tequila was NOT played at my game however. I waited until I got to Vivio's before THAT got played!)

The SpaceNorman :freak:

Damn I thought this thread might evolve into some playoff hockey talk. :(

http://mr.hockey.esq.googlepages.com/DetroitRedWingsLogoDET_79.gif/DetroitRedWingsLogoDET_79-full.jpg

Steve, sorry I missed you guys last night. It's rare that I ever see anybody else playing on Saturday nights. I'm always playing one thing or another (if I'm not gigging - I'm playing beer league hockey or vice versa). It was good to catch Marko...he and I played together with a band that we put together at the bank (The "C-Notes"). He's definitely in his element when it's time to rock!

Well...it's off to my Sunday night hockey game. It's gonna be another long week of being nice to people all day long at work. I've got another chance to go be a prick - so I'm gonna make the most of it! This hockey stuff is just too much fun!

The SpaceNorman :freak:

not sure if joking

but the answer is both

Ask yourself what V chord you play in a minor key, and you'll have your answer

The difference between what the most and the least learned people know is inexpressibly trivial in relation to that which is unknown

Understood -- the point is there are several notes in the recording played at NHL games which are 1/2 step above the notes played in the traditional melody.

Archived