Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Two reasons Billy Preston is one of the coolest guys to live

Derrick1642607670

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to disparage but BP also seemed to suffer from what we might call "Micheal Jackson syndrome".

I do think he was a great musician & certainly he gets credit for the phrase "Music ain't got no color"!

d=halfnote

I stand by my already voiced opinion of him as a great musician (& so is Jackson, really).

It's as important to recognize our heroes's flaws as to recognize how high they rise.

Didn't mean to upset.

d=halfnote

My main point was to agree that Preston was a great musician, despite some personal flaws.

While many hate MJackson, he too has/had some tremendous skills.

I didn't want to go into specifics but Billy Preston did serve time in jail...research his life to know why & you'll see the connection.

Before this gets any further OT here & totally derails the point of the topic Derrick posted, please PM me with anymore questions, OK?

d=halfnote

Nah I'm all about derailing..... :laugh:

Lookit, when he found out the prostitute was not a woman AND was underage.....he went off at him. For Michael Jackson it would have been heaven and he would have taken the kid back to NeverNeverLand to play Pirates or something. :laugh:

Seriously, too many of our heroes to mention have had substance abuse issues. It almost has to be separated from the talent......I mean to vilify an artist for using drugs....who'd be left...Ted? It is sad but true.

We shouldn't bring what the two do personally into this, they are/were both amazing musicians and I'm not trying to say that either was a good or bad person I'm just saying I respect the music of both. And I agree with Fumbly on the point he makes about artists and drugs, it's just too common. Just my 2 cents, not trying to make any jabs at anyone here.

Hold the phone, Gertrude!!! LOL

There is NO COMPARISON between BP and MJ PERIOD. That comparison fails to hold any water.

I find it wierd that anyone would even think of comparing BP and MJ... Maybe "d" is confused???? How could anyone compare a pedophile with a person who picked up a hooker?

Like I said, it makes no sense, not to mention that it is a very strange thing to bring up in a thread that was praising a well loved and accomplished dead musician.

Maybe we should just forget about it??????

Getting back to Billy, I really enjoyed reading this summary of his life. Check out all of the MAJOR albums Billy Preston played on, all of the amazing songs he wrote, and the big time bands he played and toured with. The guy was a monster talent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Preston

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Archived