Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Singer /Songwriters

Tea For One

I'm searching for some new tunes to listen to. Maybe you fine folks could point me towards a few great musicians that have evaded the radar. I'm loaded up with the usual suspects...

Van

Bob

Joni

Neil

Tom

Leonard

Willie

jim Croce

Paul Simon

Gordon Lightfoot

Harry Chapin

John Prine

I know there's all the fantastic bands with great singer/songwriters like The Beatles, Stones or even Wilco, but I'm looking for some solo artist's. They do not have to be guitar players.

Lately I've been really digging Damien Rice and Amos Lee.

I have been meaning to checkout Tim Hardin, Tim Buckley and Nick Drake.

Any input would be very cool.

Cheers.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nick drake

marc cohen

big umbrella

big bamboo

Mary chapin Carpenter

crack the sky

the clarks

the gathering field/bill deasy

marshall crenshaw

graham parker

mary fahl

october project

grey eyed glances

I mean, the list goes on and on and on...

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Bill Withers

Don Nix

Muddy

John Lee Hooker

Boz

Kris

Toy Caldwell

Jerry Rafferty

John Fogarty

James Taylor

Robbie Robertson

Lennon/McCartney

Jerry Jeff Walker

Joan Armatrading

Sarah MacLaughlin

Tracy Chapman

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

P.J. Olson

E! yes that`s the name he goes by, or his band Eels

The Finn brothers of course

Freedy Johnston

Richard Ashcroft

Maia Sharp, although she collaborates with a lot of different writers-essential listening

Beth Orton

Jonatha Brooke

David Broza

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Check out Lori McKenna, particularly the stuff before she got hooked up with Nashville.

Antje Duvekot is another.

I know there's all the fantastic bands with great singer/songwriters like The Beatles, Stones or even Wilco, but I'm looking for some solo artist's.

Lennon/McCartney

Ooops :P;)

Well, I LOVE KD Lang. Her album Ingenue is a masterpiece, but she has alot of great music. To my ears KD Lang has the best female vocal in the world, and her vibrato has been a major influence on my guitar vibrato.

I like her because she is a true prodigy talent. She made it because she is THAT good. Not because of her looks. She looks like Sean Penn to me.

I also like Jeff Buckley, another mega talent. Too bad he died. Alot of people jumped on the bandwagon after he died but a few of us actually loved his stuff before he died. I considered him the most promising rock musician of the mid 1990's and expected him to become bigger and bigger.

King's X the most underrated band of all time. TONS of great songs and the vocals are incredible.

Seal--His first 2 albums are great, I loved the second one and could listen to the whole thing back to back.

Todd Rungren--I don't like all of his material but he had an album from the late 70's that was very good. He is another shining example of how good the singers were in the 70's from a technical and stylistic standpoint. The singers of today are dismal in comparison (mostly). Whenever I hear one of those 'mouths not open' with 0 tecnique or style I want to yack.

Oh yeah, Joe Walsh.. He is one of my fav songwriters of all time. He has tons of diversity, and style. James Gang had a bunch of cool tunes. They have 2 different greatest hits CDs. One of them is missing some of thier cool songs like There I go again.

I love Joe's album 'There goes the Neighborhood' Tons of cool songs written with a sense of humour. I like Rivers and Things the best.

Im probably be shunned ins some way or form for some of these but what the hell,

John Mayer

Bright Eyes

Panda Bear

Spencer Krug

St. Vincent

Regina Spektor

Jeff Buckley

Beirut

D'Angelo

Grizzly Bear

Animal Collective

Ok, so a lot of that stuff is really out there and not strictly singer/songwriter type but I enjoy the lot of it and would like to share it :D

Another version of Roadrunner, a very rare live performance:

I'v seen him many times but never heard him perform the song, he just doesn't do it very often. His shows are really incredible. You laugh and leave the show very happy!

I have seen a few local Texas songwriters over the years, a couple that stand out are Darden Smith and Slaid Cleaves. These guys have a good regional following and are making records. There are LOTS of really good, talented songwriters around that aren't going to get played on McRadio. Start checking out college and public stations to get some of the good stuff.

Lisa Loeb is a great songwriter, shes a famous TV personality now but her first couple of albums are some of my favorites. Christine Lavin is good.

I guess it really depends on what your definition of a singer songwriter is. Elton John or James Taylor? So many current and past artists. Hank Williams, all the folkies like Bob Dylan and Pete Seeger.

Archived