Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg SP250 vs Yamaha P85

zephonic

I am looking for a cheapo DP to take back to Kenya, and have narrowed it down to the Korg SP250 (699 euro) and the Yamaha P85 (649 euro).

The Korg has way more goodies, like a stand, music stand, proper pedal, more sounds, heavier built-in amp and speakers, and -most importantly- actual line outputs (1/4" jacks).

For some reason Yamaha decided to drop line outputs and all you have is two 1/4" headphone outs (the Korg has these as well).

After spending a good 90 minutes on both, I am undecided. the Korg is much better value for money, but the Yamaha's action is noticeably better. Also, on headphones the Korg sounded fuller but when using the internal speakers the Yamaha is actually more rewarding to play and feels more like a piano.

If the P85 had jack outputs and a decent tempo control for the metronome (now you have value keys that increase/decrease tempo by something like 0.1 bpm per push, very annoying if you need to go from 60 to -say- 208) I'd have no second thoughts, but their omission is a concern for me.

Do any of you use the headphone outs to feed the FOH or monitors? Any caveats?

I like the P85 better as a piano substitute, but the Korg seems a much more sensible and professional package and the EP's do not suck as bad as the P85's. Also, it has an slider for metronome tempo control :-)

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on your needs. Are you going to gig with it?

If you like Korg's action and sound, I'd say go for it - it seems more professional.

Actually, I didn't like neither of two actions (Korg and Yamaha) when i was choosing :)

And yes, you can connect the P85 to mixer, but I've learned not to trust mini-jacks on stage..

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

Strangely, the P85 disappeared from Yamaha's website today.

Probably an oversight, as there are many typos in the new product announcements.

Unless it had earlier been announced prematurely? But this is doubtful a it shows up at several vendors.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived