Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I've de-fretted a neck!!

DavidMPires

Hi guys

I'm on the process of de-freting my acoustic no name bass, so far i've taken the frets out, (easy peasy), sanded a little bit (180 paper), then aplied the wood filler and sanded it again, I think I have to apply a little more wood filler, a couple frets don't seem to be well filled.

For those who want to do the same, I used this guide which I found to be very useful.

http://www.geocities.com/lessthanjakebass/

I'm well pleased with myself, co's i'm doing this in my apartment, I manage to do it without my other half complaining, with lack of tools and the results don't seem that bad, i'll record some clips and put some pics on once i've finished.

But back to the topic, once i finish the filling and sanding, what lacquer is best to the neck, this is cheap rosewood nck so I don't really want to pay much for it. Remember this bass cost me £50.

How should I apply it to ensure an even surface?

Thanks for your input.

ps: I can see myself ordering a copy of a Jazz Bass once i move to a proper house in two months time, I'll have room to do this kinda things.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But back to the topic, once i finish the filling and sanding, what lacquer is best to the neck,

none. :thu:

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Wow, none?

I've decided that i'm not going to put anymore wood filler, I might buy finer papper sand but now I just want to hear how it sound, so I'll take your advice and put the strings back on.

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

I really haven't found any DIY lacquer that was effective or worthwhile. You're better off not fooling with it.

Also, wood putty is water based and tends to shrink and expand with the weather. Epoxy is a better choice for fret filler IMO.

Edit: I know someone is about to emminently post that Dan Erlewine article about Super Glue lacquer. I would like to tell you premminently "Don't Do It". It was a big waste of time. Don't do it.

Next time, i'll try epoxy, what I noticed was because I choose a dark wood filler i can barely see the lines unless i lean forward which makes it hard to play, but it sounds better than it did before, I just have a issue with this bass and that's high action, I think i'll cut a bit of the plastic bridge in order to bring the strings down.

I'm happy as hell, i have my first fretless, and it was defreted by me, i'm sure next one i do, i'll take a lot more time doing it, this one took me about 3 hours in total.

Now I need to learn fretless techniques, yeah baby yeah (makes Austin Powers voice) :)

If you are going to mess with the saddle, I suggest you keep the original and buy another.

To get the height right, sand off from the BOTTOM gradually.

Good luck!!

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Pics

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r165/davidmpires/DavidSpector013.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r165/davidmpires/DavidSpector015.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r165/davidmpires/DavidSpector016.jpg

Sans finish is probably the best, by far the easiest option.

Epoxy is the next most popular, if you're comfortable working with it.

Polyurethane is really only useful if you use a lot of it. I used three coats and it was a waste of time. I've heard the right way is 30+ coats layered and sanded and finally buffed.

- Matt W.

which ones saxo? I might be doing that again in future so all advice is appreciatted

When the neck on my MIM P-bass went bad I replaced it with a fretless j neck (see pic on left). The neck came with thin plastic strips where the frets belong. It looks like it's fretted, which helps with visual cheaters for intonation, but it has that great fretless sound.

Joe average in the crowd doesn't have a clue on fretted v/s fretless, so I really don't care that it looks like it has frets. What they notice is when I break loose on it start sliding all over the place or lay strong vibrato's down with it.

Anyway, I think your really going to enjoy the fretless neck. Putting flat wound strings on will significantly reduce the wear on the neck.

Bass, the final frontier...

http://www.myspace.com/johnnyandtheboomers

David - When I defretted the neck on an old Epi T-Bird, it came out looking a lot like yours. Once the wood filler was dry I just gave it a good lemon-oil treatment. Seemed to work fine.
Push the button Frank.

which ones saxo? I might be doing that again in future so all advice is appreciatted

Did you see the links to "Chas' way" and "my way" in my post? "Chas' way" is an excellent step-by-step website that gets a ton of views from TalkBass members. "My way" is my own website, I posted it after I defretted my Toby and enjoy sharing information. Next time I defret something else I will be more meticulous about fret slot cleaning and use thin veneer or plastic to fill them. There's also a huuuge thread on TB discussing various ideas, too.

Lemon oil is always a good idea on rosewood.

- Matt W.

It's great doing your first de-fret or rebuiild or whatever, because it removes the fear of "what if I £ock it up" and from here on you don't fear making mods.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Did you see the links to "Chas' way" and "my way" in my post? "Chas' way" is an excellent step-by-step website that gets a ton of views from TalkBass members. "My way" is my own website, I posted it after I defretted my Toby and enjoy sharing information. Next time I defret something else I will be more meticulous about fret slot cleaning and use thin veneer or plastic to fill them. There's also a huuuge thread on TB discussing various ideas, too.

Lemon oil is always a good idea on rosewood.

I just saw them and they are way better than the other guy, I'll be doing it on my next beas, because this was my first experience I didn't care much about finishing and that. I will be buy finner sanding papper and put the lemon oil when I take the strings to change the sandle.

Good on you. Anything that involves hammer, chisel, and metal wire tends to bother me. ;)

I like using those things !! I'm just more "successful" when I use them for dismantling stuff than on my bass...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Good on you. Anything that involves hammer, chisel, and metal wire tends to bother me. ;)

And should only be included in a juggling act.

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

Bear in mind i didn't used a chisel, i've used a flat screw driver and gently hit the frets and they came loose very easily, i didn''t damaged the fretboard at all.

One of my new babies (couple fish I´ve been expecting to come since November/December, and due to a severe congestion problems in our national customs office couldn´t come to my hands until YESTERDAY!) is a fretless. An Alvares, to be more precise. Once I got into my hands, I was delighted. Very beautiful (even tho, while still being wood, the finish is, I am almost certain, a photo finish), couple soapbars (Have still to test if they are "P´s" in disguise or real soapbars) and somewhat heavy, thick necked. Rosewood fretboard. Here it comes. The neck is "lined", which really means it looks like it was made to have frets on it, and got some sort of a filler on it after the slots were cut. The filling is not very good (Anyway it costed me 110$ off eBay, with a Gator hardshell case and all) and the nut is somewhat high (Again, as if it was to be a fretted neck) for the neck feel. I am about to take the nut off and sand it (from below, I know, I know...) to lower it a little, and am thinking very much about the filler thing.

I tried once asking on a local hardware store for "wood filler" and the guy just stared at me clueless. For "Epoxy" in here is known that kind of ... er... glue? that comes in two small tubes that you have to mix in order to use it to either glue things or fix small holes in stuff and all that. Excuse me for my dumb question.. but.. is THIS the kind of Epoxy we´re talking about? Should I, then, buy some of it, mix the two tubes together and apply it to the fretboard and sand it afterwards??

Came to my mind the Pedulla Buzz fretless bass. Always wondered about the finish of those necks. In pics (Have NEVER seen nor played one IRL) it looks like glass. Right now, I can almost feel the bumps in the fretboard since I think is a somewhat poorly done job. I want to take it to smooth plain, and have the tools and patience to at least try it.

What should I look for, and how should I apply it?

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

Sorry for the bump, and th insistence... only didn´t wanted the post to get buried in the dark corners of oblivion (chuckles!)...

... I am getting anxious about my newly-came fish (the fretless one). In fact, I plan to do work on its fretboard this very weekend, and don´t want to mess things much up. Will start by sanding the nut and see, but am concerned about the "fret-hole cracks" not being properly filled by the manufacturer.

Again, my question is... What could I tell to the hardware store guy to sell me, 3-years-old-style, to go on epoxy on my fretboard? Will the 2-small-tubes kind work? will it be sand-able afterwards to get it smooth? Should I leave it like that? (Last time I asked for "wood filler" all I got was an awkward look...)

Again, thank you very very much in advance...

www.juancarlinmusic.com

Good question, I know the epoxy as glue is very hard to sand it off. I used to use it when i did RC Aeroplanes, it can get VERY hard.

Epoxy is a two-part product. Extremely stong glue, you can also use fiberglass resin, without the glass fiber. For fret slot filling you may want to mix in some color. White for dark fretboards and black for light colored. Some folks grind up all sorts of things to add for color. white or black plasic dust, aluminum dust, or any product that gives you the color you want. Be sure to block sand the filled neck to make it perfectly flat.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Mmmmm!! Thank you VERY, VERY Much!!!, then it IS the same product used to put things together. ;) Now... The neck on my Alvarez seems to have been losing some of the filler at certain spots. (Will edit and send pics later) I was wondering... should I take OFF the remaining filler on each "fret" before applying epoxy? Can I just "Re-fill" the spaces with epoxy and put a thin epoxy coat over the entire neck?

The only fretlesses (electric) I have player EVER are a friend´s Warwick and an old Fender "P", both rosewood, both Unlined. Add to that double basses, and my ABG. This is my very first experience with a "lined" fretless bass, which I´ve found already is nothing but a "meant-to-be-fretted" neck, without the frets. :(

I am planning to use an orbital sander I have already prepared for the job. Hopefully it would not be a painful duty. ;)

www.juancarlinmusic.com

Epoxy comes in several forms. The stuff that comes in the dual-tube-syringe may work if it runs thin enough. Jaco used boat epoxy, which is applied more like paint. Find the right epoxy and apply with good ventilation.

Epoxies at StewMac. Either of these clear epoxies probably do well enough.

- Matt W.

Archived