Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Neo Cabs Comparison

DavidMPires

For the purpose of this evaluation there are a couple of issues to take into account:

- All cabs use Neo Speakers

- All cabs are either 1x15 or 2x10

- All cabs are easily available in the UK, and they are can be tested in the UK.

- All cabs work @ 8omhs

- All cabs are average priced between £300 and £600, or for my american friends $600 - $1200 more or less.

Ok here we go:

The purpose of the cab, is to pair with an Ampeg SVT210HE and a Mark Bass Little Mark 2

Warwick Neo115 at 46lb and priced @ £329.

Warwick doesn't have the 2x10 neo version yet!! we are waiting :)

Bergantino AE210 New for February at 40lb priced at £530

Epifani PS115 & PS210 the 115 weights 52lb and costs £399 and the 210 weights 52lb and costs £429

This cabs are the lower line of epifani, but I don't know if that's such a bad thing, they are half the price of the other series.

Mark Bass Standard 2x10 and 1x15, and ultra light weight traveler series 1x15 and 2x10

While I ever only played warwick combos, they are seriously good, I have a blue cab and have played with a ccl model, both have great tone and they are one of the cheapest cabinets on the market, Bergantino I've only known by name but as per all the great reviews coming from the other side of the pond they must be seriously good, and at that price....

Epifani, in this forum Phil stands by them but he uses the top series, on the website they mention the professional series as being a more classic sound, I wonder that in order to get a more modern sound you will have to pay twice the price??

Mark bass, these are cabinets that I'm planning on trying until the bass cellar owner kicks me off the shop, I've been there two or three times and they never have the travelers in stock, I really want to see those bad boys.

Would anyone like to share their experiences with the above cabs?

I know that there are out there great stuff like bag end (expensive non avaliable in the uk) accugroove (bloody expensive) and a couple more and they all go the same route. But those ones i can't get my teeth in. ;)

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Contrary to traditional Trace Elliot gear, if the specs are to be believed the new cabs seem relatively light weight. I don't know if they are using neos, they say lightweight poplar ply, and the weights aren't that far off what you quote above:

http://www.trace-elliot.co.uk/product.php?flag=GB&lan=UK&lvl=5&key=223

Just a couple to add to the equation.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Epifani, in this forum Phil stands by them but he uses the top series, on the website they mention the professional series as being a more classic sound, I wonder that in order to get a more modern sound you will have to pay twice the price??

According to their website, Epifani have introduced the Performance series which have more bottom end. I guess getting more bottom end out of a lighter cab costs more. {edit - this is actually incorrect - the new range are cheaper}

"Performance Series Cabinets

The PS Series cabinets were designed and built with the same commitment to sonic detail and quality construction as our award winning UL Series speakers. Tuned for a more "classic" tone than the UL Series, they deliver thick lows with a musically crisp edge. Only the best conventional materials were used in construction: 17 ply Baltic Birch cabinets, polypropylene capacitors in the crossovers, Neutrik SpeakOn connectors, steel magnet drivers made exclusively for Epifani in the USA, steel recessed handles and high impact locking corners. "

from

http://www.epifani.com/products/performance_cabinets

The PS112 is 36lbs

These have been recently introduced.

The regular UL112 and the like are now part of the Club Collection

The UL112 weighs 30lbs

There's then also the Concert Collection neo-cabs which all feature more than one speaker.

Fortunately The Bass Gallery in Camden, http://www.thebassgallery.com/

was nowhere near the Camden fire - imagine if all that had gone up in flames!

They have the UL112 at £475 and the PS112 at £320!

Huh!

That means I have the dearer model and the new 'Performance' range are cheaper.

So, contrary to what I typed earlier, it's weight that seems to most affect price in this instance.

Tim I had a look to the trace elliot and they are not that light, lighter than normal but nowhere near the neo ones, tried a Ashdoen superfly neo cab, but as i never really like ashdown, or it's just me being useless, I couldn't really take out the sound that I like, sounds good for brit rock, but i'm not sure if the cab can go that loud.

Soon will be trying out the mark bass and the epifani.

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

I've toyed with the idea of buying a peavey 210 TVX and swapping out the drivers with some Eminence neo drivers to turn it into a 400watt cab. The values I'm getting from winISD seem to be OK, but a bit more reasearch is required.

I could then either off load the peavey drivers on eBay or if it doesn't work, put them back in the cab and sell it.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Hi All

Just a quick introduction on this forum from me. I am very interested in these new Bergantino Cabinets, I am not a huge fan of NEO cabs per se as I find they see to have a sound that is very familiar across the brands (which is probably due to the fact that most use the same drivers) plus there are other issues due to the nature of neo and the amount of power it needs/uses to drive it. ( I have spent a lot of time with pro-audio pa and they are very skeptical regarding the current incarnation of these types of speakers)

Jim Bergatino has actually conceived a new type of Neo Speaker (this is the man that helped design the Neos that are used in many brands of bass cabs and was not happy with it!) that function more like a traditional ceramic speaker and more importantly share the desirable sound and features of ceramic speakers.

I have yet to hear these cabs, although they will be with me soon, and I was a little reluctant to take them on as the regular Bergy speakers do the job so well.

I welcome you to bring any of your cabs along and give these speakers a test against yours - should be interesting.

I hope I have not transgressed any forum rules here - just a bit of background info for you.

Regards

Mark

Exclusive UK Dealer for Bergantino Audio, Roscoe, Skjold, Wood&Tronics, Nordstrand Bass.

UK Dealer for Mark Bass, Genz Benz, Phil Jones Bass

Hi Mark,

You are welcome to bring your opinions about equipment, your customer's experiences, and any other info you have from the manufacturers that we could use. Starting a thread to try to sell something will be a transgression. The tone and concern in your inaugural post tells me this won't be an issue.

FYI, Carey Nordstrand and folks from MarkBass (as well as people from other manufacturers and bass sellers) have posted here.

I am also interested to hear what folks think of the new Bergs.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Hi Mark

Your shop was the source for the bergantino cabs, I couldn't find them anywhere else.

Stick around and please share your knowledge.

I have spoken with Eminence about designing a 12" speaker around the Beta 12LT cone that I like for my electroCoustic amps....it would involve the use of the neo mags for the redesign. They claim these would have the same sort of tonal response with a bit of increased efficiency....

It would also reduce the weight of my all tube amp from 32 lbs to 28 lbs..... that's fairly significant. That reduction would allow a ported bass combo rig in the 60 tube watt/45lbs range. I feel that would be very intriguing for jazz players.

Opinions about neo speakers is MOST welcome from this corner.

Thanks guys - I will be happy to help out with any questions where I can. The new AE210 and AE410 will be in soon with the AE112 to follow. I will doing some serious A/B tests against the other Bergy speakers to see how well these new Neos work.

I will also monitor any comparisons with other manufacturers speakers.

Regards

Mark

Exclusive UK Dealer for Bergantino Audio, Roscoe, Skjold, Wood&Tronics, Nordstrand Bass.

UK Dealer for Mark Bass, Genz Benz, Phil Jones Bass

Archived