Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

has anyone else thought this?

Switch hitter

Wow! How do you get that from "bugger That for a game of soldiers?"

How about translating it as, "Screw that. I'm going to bingo night instead."

Well, sort of.

But it's more like "screw this for a joke" as in "this isn't a lot of fun". And of course, a game of soldiers is not the real thing. Does that make more sense?

And yes, it IS a lot like that Monty Python sketch. Funny that, I've been thinking about that very sketch for the past few days! :o

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My hearing has taken some serious abuse, and it's very noticeable now. I have a constant ringing in my ears now, it's not horribly bad, but it's there. Watching TV is a challenge because I turn it up to hear the more quiet parts, and my wife then complains the TV is too loud..

????

Mastering Opinions....

My hearing has taken abuse, but it's not gone. I can still hear well enough and the damage has been across the spectrum so I've really not lost any one range over another, it's all just a little attenuated compared to what it used to be. The ring is not so loud as to interfere with daily operations, yet..

Also, I have a whole forum of people to tell me when I get it all wrong!!

Feel free to visit my band's site

Delusional Mind

You generally do not lose hearing "across the spectrum". High end goes first, and it goes fast.

Go to an audiologist and get a test. They'll graph you. Mine said I am in some insane top percentile for my age, likely due to the fact I have used protection since I started playing drums at 13.

I was given a pair of these at a factory I visited. They were comfortable and blocked out the sound. So I thought "Well you can't go wrong, they must work OK for music too." I didn't think much about whether different frequencies would be more attenuated or not. This thread made me look them up. WOW what a pleasant surprise, not bad for freebies, and at least now if I loose them I'll know I can get another set. Probably go for the white ones without a band next time though, as I can only wear the ones I have at rehearsal.

AEARO Plugs

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Bugger that for a game of soldiers! :D

The phrase finds its origin in the idea that some things are simply not worth the trouble. While children playing "a game of soldiers" might seem fun and carefree, if they were being forced to play soldiers for real they might think otherwise. Thus there is a subtle undercurrent that the situation has escalated from a harmless one to one more fraught with peril.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Mine said I am in some insane top percentile for my age, likely due to the fact I have used protection since I started playing drums at 13.

Like you need protection when you're a drummer.

Lead singer, yes.

Guitarist? You betcha.

Rhythm section? Better check the expiration date on that condom.

Keyboardist? Be sure to inflate the doll to full recommeded PSI.

"For instance" is not proof.

Mine said I am in some insane top percentile for my age, likely due to the fact I have used protection since I started playing drums at 13.

Like you need protection when you're a drummer.

Lead singer, yes.

Guitarist? You betcha.

Rhythm section? Better check the expiration date on that condom.

Keyboardist? Be sure to inflate the doll to full recommeded PSI.

:laugh:

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I have ALWAYS used ear plugs from day 1. I think it makes the bass line clearer for me because the plugs dim the G*****r and other instruments.

In one band the g*****rist had destroyed his hearing, and I confirmed it without his knowing it: I intentionally played a blues bassline in Bb while everyone else played in A. Nobody said anything because the freakin' G****r was so loud.

I also played at a church where the pastor bitched about my earplugs -- something about the Devil (???) -- I packed up and left.

NEVER compromise your hearing. Stand your ground. No exceptions.

I also played at a church where the pastor bitched about my earplugs -- something about the Devil (???) -- I packed up and left.

hmm... I dunno, could it be... *dun dun dun* SATAN??

fortunately, I never had a problem like loud band members. The only time I got pissed off is when our sound guy truely believed the only way to make the bass sound good is to lop off the top part of his tone. so no high or upper mids.

Archived