Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Roland RD-700GX PIANO (pics)

Jazz+

As an aside, I've loved what little I've heard of Rainer Bruninghaus' acoustic piano playing. Can someone recommend his best work?

Without a doubt for me its 1980s Freigweht (which I believe means free blowing)... unbelievable... also his work on Manfred Schoof's "Horizon" is great too... plus his work on Eberhard Webers seminals 1970s LPs (Colors of Chloe, Silent Feet, etc.)

I love Rainer as he has his own style which doesn't seem that influenced by the masters... closest would be Bill Evans or Jarrett without the bluesiness... maybe Art Lande would be a contemporary... but then again Rainer uses synths and sequencers too which sets him apart from anybody... I reckon Lyle Mays takes a lot from Rainer personally... I think Lyle kind of admits to this as he lists a few early Eberhard Weber LPs as influences.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your GEM has been 2 years waiting at the factory to be repaired? I would call that out of business. And didn't they recently lay of their US rep that was posting here?

Yep they are terrible... the problem is that they don't have spare parts for the Promega... currently my PM3 circuit boards are in Italy and a UK firm is sending them a makeshift part (specifically a working flash IC which has now been replaced twice I believe).... its a terrible setup... I would never buy from GEM again... it was only Mr McMahon that gave me any faith in the company...

You recall correctly. Besides Lande, I also studied with Mark Isham, Kenny Barron, Fred Hirsch, Barry Harris, Don Pullen and Cedar Walton, and Mark Levine.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

You recall correctly. Besides Lande, I also studied with Mark Isham, Kenny Barron, Fred Hirsch, Barry Harris, Don Pullen and Cedar Walton, and Mark Levine.

great to see Mark Isham's name here

I have all his CD's/albums and have follwed Mark since '80's

Jazz, do you recall Group 87 ?

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I knew Group 87 .

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

The RD300SX is the only one in the series I have seen in a store in eons, so that is the only one I have had an opportunity to try. The gist of what many have been saying is that improvements are incremental, based on how disappointed many were in Roland's offerings at NAMM. I am simply deferring to their greater and longer experience with Roland products of the past ten years. Of course I will try other RD-series digitals if and when I ever see them in a store. But based on how many people have raved over the earlier and lower-end models and expressed disappointment at how "little" was added or changed, I found that cause to revise my enthusiasm.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I don't know what you are trying to say but I disliked the RD-300SX (2006) with feathery action and old "Ultimate Grand" piano samples but loved the FP4 that came out some months later in 2007 with its "Superior Grand" samples. We needn't compare apples and lemons.

great to see Mark Isham's name here

I have all his CD's/albums and have follwed Mark since '80's

Jazz, do you recall Group 87 ?

Alright, I'm been searching out an Isham cut for years now. I had it on cassette in the mid 1980s. The opening tune, maybe had the word patrol or dance in the title. I need that opening tune. I don't think the album ever made it to CD or if it did it's out of print.

Help me out.

Busch.

Thanks, no it was an Mark Isham album and the cut was "something PARADE" not patrol.

Busch.

how about ' Grand Parade '

The CD is Castalia

I have Grand Parade on my iPod, an excellent instrumental by Mark

[70's Songwriter]

Does anybody have Isham's "Film Music" on CD? It's out print.

Current estimate is late April 2008.

I have a good price quote on the RD700GX. I also picked up the detailed specs on it and the Fantom G8 at Guitar Centre today, and feel the RD-700GX is a better buy for Digital Piano and Controller purposes in spite of the lack of aftertouch (I can always use a synth-action or eventually a semi-weighted Hammond XK3c for aftertouch-triggered sounds).

The RD-series will only accept SRX boards vs. the new ARX boards (this may be part of the reason the RD700GX essentially includes a built-in E-Piano ARX board). There will be three MIDI outputs, which can simplify a stage setup and allow for good MIDI control from a single 88-key board. These are all strong selling points, along with the escapement which apparently will not be shared by the Fantom G8 (their definition is the key click of a real piano, so this is unrelated to the otherwise shared PHA II keybed action of the Fantom G8 with the RD700GX).

Prices have just dropped on the Kawai MP-series, but no one in the SF Bay Area carries that brand. I suspect the Roland will have a better "feel" due to the ivory touch, and probably more realistic electric piano sounds. Piano and action are always almost entirely subjective, but earlier MP-series keyboard seemed a bit stiff to me in terms of re-triggers on the same note.

At this point, the RD700GX looks like it could serve most stage purposes -- especially if its additional 256 GM2 sounds are also excellent. With multiple MIDI OUT's, I'm guessing it will have a very usable MIDI controller implementation as well.

Looks like I'll either wait for this, or get the GEM PRP700 and be done with it. I can get one of those for $850 if I act fast.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I too will look into the GX. I am really interested in it as an all in one keyboard that can do the meat and potatoes piano, organ and rhodes.. with perhaps some strings/pads...

I have a rhodes and CX3 here but its not always possible to take them all out. Are there any mp3s of the Roland RD organ?

After the GEM debacle, I am always gonna stick with Roland or Yamaha from now on...

I too will look into the GX. I am really interested in it as an all in one keyboard that can do the meat and potatoes piano, organ and rhodes.. with perhaps some strings/pads...

I have a rhodes and CX3 here but its not always possible to take them all out. Are there any mp3s of the Roland RD organ?

After the GEM debacle, I am always gonna stick with Roland or Yamaha from now on...

there's 1 at rolandus.com

I am spoiled by my Korg Extreme/M3M Hammond/Leslie organs

[70's Songwriter]

Yeah I checked it... pretty damn cool... way better than any organ I've heard on another piano.

I have the CX3 but the only reason I keep it is really because of the action.. I'm still unsure about the actual tone of the thing... but then again I'm not really a great organist... I think I really need to just concentrate on the thing sometime...

Yeah I checked it... pretty damn cool... way better than any organ I've heard on another piano.

I have the CX3 but the only reason I keep it is really because of the action.. I'm still unsure about the actual tone of the thing... but then again I'm not really a great organist... I think I really need to just concentrate on the thing sometime...

After a CX3, playing Hammond sounds/parts on an Rd700Sx/Gx would be quite a change. The SX/GX has weighed keys.

If Hammond is not your main focus, I think the change would work out ok

[70's Songwriter]

There's a video there from the NAMM show, but I didn't find any audio demos. The audio on the video presentation is substandard at best, but it does get across some of the expressiveness of the e-pianos, and the acoustic piano sounds at least decent. No organ examples on that video.

After a CX3, playing Hammond sounds/parts on an Rd700Sx/Gx would be quite a change. The SX/GX has weighed keys.

Yeah, I think the basic sound is good enough for me... I must admit I really love wailing on the CX though... its nice to just do those machine gun patterns up and down the keyboard..esp as it trggers immediately on key depression rather than on at the end of the key travel...

Yeah, I think the basic sound is good enough for me... I must admit I really love wailing on the CX though... its nice to just do those machine gun patterns up and down the keyboard..esp as it trggers immediately on key depression rather than on at the end of the key travel...

you would definitely not have that ' B3 key feel " on the SX or GX. I use to play a B3 so I understand. I really enjoyed wailing on that.

Roland EP's also sound more 'complex' . As others have pointed

out this is due to Roland FX.

Try the SX. Words and brief demos can't capture what you might be searching for

[70's Songwriter]

I tried the SX a few years back.. I didn't connect with the piano sounds and at the time was not interested in the other sounds.

I'm more interested by the GX due to the new action and new ROM. (I'm looking over at the rhodes and sighing about having to move it for tonight)

I had an 88 Rhodes in the late '70's I didn't like moving it or the muddy action. I was mostly a Hammond person at the time.

Hopefully the built in Supernat'l EP will make the GX a standout.

I have been an Rd owner for a while. I prefer the SX acoustic piano and the great feeling key action. It makes for an excellent midi controller

[70's Songwriter]

I'm going to Guitar Centre in SF tonight before the ballet (LOTS of walking, in the rain, but that's OK :-)). I am hoping they have that non-portable HP model that uses the RHA II keybed.

Mostly I'm going because they actually have a Prophet '08 and Poly Evolver in stock, along with a Virus TI (for re-comparison). I can't wait until May to make ALL of my decisions, so may at least have to make a stop-gap decision tomorrow for a PRP700.

The Prophet '08 would be an unrelated decision; I merely need to decide keyboard vs. rack-mount (I'm inclined towards the former).

Possibly a Prophet '08 and RD700GX might be a perfect combination live, for covering all of the bread and butter bases adequately (piano, e-piano, organ, traditional analog synths and pads).

Archived