Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Roland RD-700GX PIANO (pics)

Jazz+

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I practice on my keys wearing Speedos and a tank top.

A good music video will suffice. If you add in a few dancing girls similar to ones found in Snoop Dogg videos, I won't care what you are wearing.

Ok, I look and sing like Justin Timberlake

I hope thats ok

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

many thanks

looking good... I was playing my rhodes just now with a load of stomp boxes all over the place and wondering how the hell I can take all this out along with all my other keys.... ;)

The RD700GX might just be the (save for synth) all in one keyboard I need for live...

Greetings all,

Well this is going to sound rather stupid but I know nothing about pianos or keyboards except I really dig the sound of a grand piano(and others). I tried to take piano lessons when stationed in Japan but being out on a ship frequently stopped all that. So here I am in the Middle East for who knows how long(contractor)and this is a perfect time to try again albeit self taught.

I was looking at the new Yamaha DGX-630 and Roland RD-700SX(used) as a good selection point for service here. The more I read about the RD-700GX, the more I'm thinking about spending the extra cash and getting as close to an acoustic piano as possible. The other features will be used later on of course or in conjunction with my learning phase. This is extreme overkill but I want one keyboard that I grow with and become accustomed to instead of upgrading. We all know how that works out but it sounds good to me at this time. Unfortunately I can't open any youtube sites or sound bytes loaded to other storage so all I have to work from is the RolandUS page (can't even open the Roland.com site so no owners manual for me). Some issues I have to deal with now that I've pretty much made up my mind are:

1. Shipping weight and box dimensions. I called RolandUS and the weight and dimensions they give me are lighter/smaller than the 700SX which I don't understand. How can the new one be lighter and a smaller box? Uh I guess new technology could help in this area but their website lists the GX keyboard at 55lbs. Don't see how the keyboard alone could be lighter than the entire shipping weight. I called them twice(glad they have a 1-800#) and was given the same data. IMO, they gave me 300GX info. But if the 700GX is lighter without being cheaper built then it works in my favor since USPS limit max weight at 70lbs and 130"(length+girth). Hope they are correct.

2. Finding a business that will ship to an APO address. They all seem to cringe at sending items to an address that will go overseas even if it's considered domestic. Easier for them to just call up UPS or Fedex to come get the package than it is to take time to go to the post office. Time is money I guess.

That's about all I can think of for now but I guess I'm trying to convince myself that this is a good first step. But playing something that should sound awesome would be much more enjoyable than just pushing plastic. Thank you all for your very informative comments here. If anyone has a vendor that gave them a reasonable price on a RD700GX please let me know. It might make up for paying shipping costs twice or maybe it'll be included...at least shipping to family who will take time to put it in the mail. But once again weight and size are the biggest factors. Won't do me any good finding a good deal or even MSRP if I can't ultimately get it in the mail. They kind of frown on putting packages on helicopters to bring it to the different bases here. Hmmm wonder why? LOL. I just got lucky and found an area to play something like this. Hope something from the sky doesn't drop and wipe out my new keyboard. Fingers crossed on getting this. Thanks and have a great day.

One day at a time

You're on the right track. I would not imagine much of a difference in size and weight between the SX and GX. Surely not enough to worry about. As for getting it into Iraq, we have one forum member with special skillz when it comes to customs. Look him up. zahu something.

THat's what I got from Roland size wise. 61L x 20W X 10H=121 total inches which passes muster. The 48lbs they mention might just be correct then. Odd that their site mentions 55lbs. Hay as long as it's under 70 lbs then I'm golden. Can't believe I'm thinking about this for a beginner. Oh hey another question. Does Roland keyboards come with a metrinome(sp)? About the only main factor I'm considering the Yamaha for since it's set up for students. I'm sure it sounds ok but one wouldn't expect a stage grade keyboard to be set up for students. Prudent people don't normal think this way....but when have I ever been considered normal. EyeGore....what was the name on that jar. Abby who???? Thanks guys!!!
One day at a time

Got this bit of info today from a supplier who I'll probabaly go with since they ship APO and drops my shipping costs to just one process. Hmmm wonder if they do military discounts. You know I gotta try. Cheers

Wght: 67.32

Ln: 62.16"

Wd: 19.44" x2= 38.44=40+-

Ht: 9.84 x2= 19.68=20+-

Girth+Length=60+62=122=YES!!!!

"That is with the shipping packing so yes this should be able to ship to a APO."

One day at a time

Oh and thanks for the tip on using drum beats vice metronome. Wow will this be a learning experience???!!! I'll try to keep the excitement down. Better start looking for training info as I know I'll load up MP3's and just play along. Could mimic some cool sounds but then it really doesn't create any knowledge.

The features of the 700GX are excellent and case ruggedness suits my needs very well. Outta here!

One day at a time

Archived