Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Computer to amp question

scottasin

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you do not have an audio interface, I think there's not much options left except for plugging the line out into the amp. Otherwise, invest in an USB or Firewire interface, it makes connecting stuff easier (and gives you better converters, too).

:eek: You can run Massive on a G3? One voice at a time or something?

What Yoozer or Kanker said. If you are really trying to hear what you are doing, though, I'd forego the 1/8" headphone output and invest in an audio interface and decent pair of studio monitors.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

If you go through the headphone out I'd suggest getting a 1/8-inch extender cable in addition to whatever stereo adapter. An extender cable just has a plug at one end and a jack on the other. This way you don't put too much stress on the headphone jack on the G3.

Your amp's selection of input jacks will determine the proper adapter. For example, a 1/8-inch (plug) to 1/4-inch (jack) adapter will accommodate a standard 1/4-inch instrument cable.

[edit: Oh, I see kanker recommended getting a cord adapter. This would also handle the stress issue.]

If you go through the headphone out I'd suggest getting a 1/8-inch extender cable in addition to whatever stereo adapter. An extender cable just has a plug at one end and a jack on the other. This way you don't put too much stress on the headphone jack on the G3.

Your amp's selection of input jacks will determine the proper adapter. For example, a 1/8-inch (plug) to 1/4-inch (jack) adapter will accommodate a standard 1/4-inch instrument cable.

[edit: Oh, I see kanker recommended getting a cord adapter. This would also handle the stress issue.]

We tried this one, and we got a fair amount of hiss, is this just from the cable/connector we used, or is this a problem inherent to headphone jacks?

We tried this one, and we got a fair amount of hiss, is this just from the cable/connector we used, or is this a problem inherent to headphone jacks?

Cables can't produce hiss but it is quite common for headphone outputs to be noisy when used as line outputs to other equipement.

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

Cables can't produce hiss but it is quite common for headphone outputs to be noisy when used as line outputs to other equipement.

Yup.

And this is why I was quite surprised when Kurzweil recommended - in its manual - that if you use unbalanced cables, it's quite alright to use the headphone output from the PC2X to the line input on your mixer or amp.

Yup. They said it. It's in the manual. I'm not making this up.

So I tried it, and know what?

It's fine... no extra hiss.

I know I don't say this often, but...

I likes my PC2X. :)

I also like a good single malt scotch... :thu:

in a dark bar...

with a sultry woman named Jessica. :love:

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/images/upload/Roger-Rabbit-2-web.jpg

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

BTW Tom, is there a story behind the gas?

Oh no. Well, yes. :)

"Is There Gas in the Car?" is simply a lyric from a Steely Dan tune - Kid Charlemagne.

A childhood friend of mine, a drummer with whom I collaborated, used to call me on the phone when he had nothing better to do.

I'd pick up the phone, "Hello?"

He would ask, "Is There Gas in the Car?" and sing it in a whiny voice - just like Donald Fagen does in the song.

Well, he knew quite well that it would stick in my head all day long, but he did it anyway... Bastid. :mad:

Since I'm a huge fan of this music, and in honor of my friend - who is funny as hell - I decided to use this line when I joined the forum.

Originally, I spelled it out, Is There Gas in the Car?.

Later, I figured that it would be easier just to use the letters, ITGITC?, since most people here know what I'm talking about.

However, I still have a very big problem.

Every time I hear Kid Charlemange and that line, Is There Gas in the Car?, I think about my buddy calling me on the phone, starting a conversation where he does all the talking and I do all the listening.

I would be on the phone with him and not saying a word. Wifey would walk by and say, "George is on the other end, right?"

I'd just roll my eyes. :rolleyes:

Is There Gas in the Car? ...it plays over and over and over again... in my head... all day long.

Bastid. :mad:

Thanks for asking. :)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Tom,

You left out the part where you changed your forum name to your real name, completely different than "Is There Gas in the Car?" and "ITGITC?" and most of us didn't know who you were. It was like Superman running around with those eyeglass frames or something. ;):D

P.S. Thanks for the explanation. All this time, I had no idea where it came from, except maybe meaning "I'm ready! Let's go!"

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Now, I've used headphone outputs lots of times with different equipment and never noticed any hiss over say, -55 dB (which I doubt would have caused the OP's concern).

Of course, you have to adjust the headphone output level to the optimal level. Usually that's near the 75% mark, but it depends on the gear. Note that there may be more than one volume control, and they ALL need to be in the optimum range. For those that are purely digital, you want them at 100%. For those that affect analog gain, they're generally nominal at 75%. Note that you have these same concerns (though often one less knob) for line outputs.

"Is There Gas in the Car?" is simply a lyric from a Steely Dan tune - Kid Charlemagne.

Ah, you're always good for a story. Thanks.

I don't recall ever hearing that song so looked it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2Qedtk56YQ

Yup.

I'm thinking I like this arrangement even better:

Thank you for taking the time to listen, Mr. Warren.

Tom

Tom,

You left out the part where you changed your forum name to your real name, completely different than "Is There Gas in the Car?" and "ITGITC?" and most of us didn't know who you were. It was like Superman running around with those eyeglass frames or something. ;):D

P.S. Thanks for the explanation. All this time, I had no idea where it came from, except maybe meaning "I'm ready! Let's go!"

Yeah. :rolleyes:

In real life I'm Norwegian yet I don't fit into that society because I'm grossly vertically challenged.

All my life I've perfomed with the circus.

In my act, I used to do it with a feather, but now I use the whole chicken...

It gets a lot more laughs.

:D

Yup.

And this is why I was quite surprised when Kurzweil recommended - in its manual - that if you use unbalanced cables, it's quite alright to use the headphone output from the PC2X to the line input on your mixer or amp.

Yup. They said it. It's in the manual. I'm not making this up.

So I tried it, and know what?

It's fine... no extra hiss.

I know I don't say this often, but...

I likes my PC2X. :)

I also like a good single malt scotch... :thu:

in a dark bar...

with a sultry woman named Jessica. :love:

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/images/upload/Roger-Rabbit-2-web.jpg

Yeah, she's gotta be the hottest toon ever!

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Archived