Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

stereo mix to mono amp

Brocko777

I posted this in the Tech forum without much response...

Us here bass pplayyyuurz have any ideas?

Hello,

I searched with no luck (or idea) to try to figure this out.

I have a stereo mixer (L/R main outs) but wanted to use only a single mono power amp for the mains.

Is there a way to connect both outs to the amp? I am not using any stereo inputs or the kind.

What are my options?

Thanks.

Brocko

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check the manual (if you have it) - generally one side is listed as "mono". I'll defer to the more technical, but my guess is that it doesn't matter- just use one side. You're only risk is the PAN controls (keep them centered).

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Usually it is the left side that works as a mono output.

If everything is panned to the center, it shouldn't matter.

And you could also pan everything to the side that you use for an output.

Yep.

If you're using 1/4" from your mixer to the amp you could also simply use a stereo to mono Y-cable.

I'll run it off of the one side... thanks for the input...er output?

Using the 'Y' cable from the L/R to the power amp I was told has some funky resistor thing happen that 'could' harm the amp.... not sure of the truth or if there is any documented happenings but wanted to check. Thanks

Brocko

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

Thanks for the link TimR

CAN I CONNECT TWO OR MORE SOURCES TO ONE INPUT?

Not recommended. If you combine two or more sources into a single load, the low output impedance of one source will load down the output of the other source, and vice versa. This can cause level loss and distortion. If you want to combine the signals from two devices into one input, you need to put a series resistor in line with each device before combining them. That prevents each device from loading down the other. A minimum resistor value might be 470 ohms per source. If the source is balanced, use one resistor on pin 2 and one on pin3 -- two resistors per source.

Brocko

That is a guide though, and a indication of how you could get around a problem. As it's a stereo source, its likely that the two signals will be very similar. I have used a Y lead with no noticable problems. Its just not particualrly good practice.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Archived