Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Interesting dream last night...

rizzo9247

I woke up this morning after an interesting dream about a new bass; but not one that already exists. In this dream, I was playing my 5 string Fender Jazz, but the interesting thing was, it was both fretted and fretless. The frets only went up to the 9th, and after that, (10-20) were fretless. It seems like an interesting idea, what do you guys think?

I tried searching for some instrument like this, but only found this one,

where the guy pulls a switch to lower the frets into the neck making it a fretless.

Another part of my dream, was the creation of an apple turnover in cupcake form, a discussion for a later time :)

-Anthony

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's interesting, but mine didn't have half-frets. I had whole frets (from the B to the G string) all the way up to the 9th position where it then became all fretless.

Maybe it was a sign from above to remove those frets, I might begin a project...

I have thought of a half-fretless neck several times... at the 10th fret... never seen one anyway (And the youtube link didn´t got me anywhere, by the way)...

anybody else? Thought about it/ played one/ had one? Would be interesting to find how useful it would really be. :D

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

I had an intersting dream once about a bass with a loose string that you had to pul to make sound, Im sure its inpossible to do unmuted though, but in my dream it sounded the biz.

Okay I got my hair cut! Its now this short *shows how short using hand*

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

I've seen one, played it, and am totally convinced that it's (B)ass-backwards. The fretted part should be the higher frets 10-20, the fretless part should be 0-9. Intonation gets harder as the notes get closer together, and a bunch of frets at the high end would make slapping a little groovier than on a fretless.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

It's an interesting proposition and a seducing one, BUT.........

the lower fretted area is OK, but, because of the frets, it leaves the action too high for the unfretted area to play comfortably.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I've seen one, played it, and am totally convinced that it's (B)ass-backwards. The fretted part should be the higher frets 10-20, the fretless part should be 0-9. Intonation gets harder as the notes get closer together, and a bunch of frets at the high end would make slapping a little groovier than on a fretless.

I beg to differ, violinists don't have any problems hitting the high notes, and a violin is much smaller than a bass. And speaking of personal experience, I'm not that particular with exactness since I mostly play hilbilly music, but I can tell you I can be right on in any range. It's just getting there that's a little tricky sometimes.

;^)

Sounds like a kind of cool thing to do. If one had smallish hands like me one could keep the pitch of the longer spacing and get that Jaco sound for soloing. Neat! But I'd try it on a project bass first in case you don't like it.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

There was a bass advertised in BPMag for a while a couple years back that had frets up to the 12th mark, then fretless from 13th - 22nd, then two final frets at the 23rd and 24th positions. It looked like a great idea to me, but I can't remember the name of it.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Apple turnover cupcake...yummmmmy!

BTW...it takes YEARS to learn violin. I mean to learn just to get a decent tone from it. Violin is not a good example here. Maybe a bass violin...

MY friend, a guitarist picked up my friend Zoe's violin. He got quite a decent sound from it straight away. Maybe he is just a natural or lucky.

Okay I got my hair cut! Its now this short *shows how short using hand*

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

I mentioned it before, in some other thread long ago. Ibanez made a Musician (I think MC 924 EQ), first 12 frets fretted, from then on fretless (up to the 24th "fret"). I bought one in 1981, and I was stupid enough te sell it when I retired for a while.

I didn't buy it for this special feature, but because it was the only Musician left in the store; they sold them for low prices. The Musician was then known as the Sting-bass.

It's hard to imagine the need to switch instantly between fretted and fretless coinciding with the split between the two being excactly at the 12the fret.

But apart from the special feature, it was a great sounding bass (I played it through a Kustom III with a 2x15 cab).

Archived