Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Interesting family traditions for Christmas?

Rocky McDougall

Our family has always celebrated Christmas on Christmas morning. The men in the family always fix a giant breakfast of fried Venison medallians in dark, spicy, (garlic & pepper), gravy served over open biscuits. Gourging is encouraged. :laugh:

Rocky :snax:

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Philly, being from Melton Mowbray, always has Melton Mowbray Pork Pie for breakfast, then we have Buck's Fizz & Champagne before Christmas Dinner.

http://www.porkpie.co.uk/

Happy Christmas!!!

:D

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Our tradition is to argue about which presents, argue about how to pack the car, argue about how to unpack the car at my wife's parents place in Chester (where I am now) and then hopefully go through a more normal routine of Christmas morning, which is coffee and Panetone (from italy) then madly opening presents, take a break and open more presents and then to eat Roast Turkey with all the trimmings, then plum pudding for dessert, washed down with enough alcohol to dull the senses of a heavyweight fighter. Then we wonder why we missed the Queens speech just like last year and the year before that.

Wouldn't change a moment of it.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

my parents grew up poor and so they always got their christmas trees for cheap on christmas eve.

They continued that tradition into their marriage even though they weren't poor.

Every year up until this one, we've always got our christmas trees on 12/24 and decorate and cook all in the same night. It was great.

Now that we're adults (i'm the youngest and i'm 23), we still have traditions, but we do them earlier to save on the stress.

j

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

Uncle Jack makes it possible to deal with the insanity of it all.

I share this traditional. While the wife and most of her family walk next door to go to church, her Uncle John and I will get together with long lost Uncle Macallan. In all likelihood, Uncle Macallan will be gone by the time the wife and the family return from church.

My current tipple is the Glenkinchie.

http://www.discovering-distilleries.com/glenkinchie

Lowland malt - very nice.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

Traditions? Besides ending up in a drunken yelling match with my father? None that I can think of. :D

Seriously, my family's always celebrated on Christmas eve, but lately my wife's been insisting that we do Christmas day instead. It just doesn't feel the same, somehow.

Thanks for the tip, Geoff. It is a Diaego product, so I may be able to find it stateside. I usually trust the Scots on the Scotch. :)

I can't get into the heavy, peaty, smokey Islay malts - too much iodine and cough mixture(!) for me.

I prefer the Speyside & the lighter lowland malts.

Have a nice time.

Geoff

Real men don't put sugar in their coffee...

Real men don't drink their beer from a glass...

Real men don't drink wine with bubbles in it...

Real men don't drink wiskey that isn't named after dead guys...

;>)

Just kidding, but I am a Jack man myself. Before every gig, we three guitar players (kind'a like the three wise men, though we usually don't perform in robes...) do a shot of Jack to the toast; "Rock & Roll will never die!"

Bass, the final frontier...

http://www.myspace.com/johnnyandtheboomers

Every year up until this one, we've always got our christmas trees on 12/24 and decorate and cook all in the same night. It was great.

That actually does sound like good times, man. If I were to do the whole full Christmas deal here I think I'd do it this way.

Real men don't put sugar in their coffee...

Real men don't drink their beer from a glass...

Real men don't drink wine with bubbles in it...

Real men don't drink whiskey that isn't named after dead guys...

....and REAL whisky doesn't have an 'e' in it!!

G.

Thanks for the tip, Geoff. It is a Diaego product, so I may be able to find it stateside. I usually trust the Scots on the Scotch. :)

Aye.

I'm sailing with Captain Morgan.

DAAAAAAAARR!!! Someone's got a little Captain in them.

My current tipple is the Glenkinchie.

Geoff,

I took your advice and had three Glenkinchie doubles this evening... at the Iridium Jazz Club in Manhattan... with my wife... and Les Paul playing with his trio. :)

Nice pick. A lovely Scotch.

I hate you. :)

Yes, I hate him too, but I'm glad he appreciated The Glenkinchie!!!

G.

What a bunch of lushes!!

My one tradition is cutting a fresh tree from a REAL farm. This is about 500 acres where they grow wild. There is a bonfire by a shed where you get a saw and then you hike to find your tree.

My city-girl/princess girlfriend was quite dismayed but picked out a monstrous tree that barely fit on the car and to get it up I had to cut off about 2 feet.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

my parents grew up poor and so they always got their christmas trees for cheap on christmas eve.

They continued that tradition into their marriage even though they weren't poor.

Now that we're adults (i'm the youngest and i'm 23), we still have traditions, but we do them earlier to save on the stress.

j

I feel that putting up the tree and decorating on Christmas Eve gives the tradition a lot more meaning.

My wife feels otherwise. We have to compromise. It goes up about a week before Christmas.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

The amount of cooking and decorating and multiple family visits precludes the single night approach.

My inability to consume copious amounts of spirits prevents me from joining in that tradition as well. Usually there are some Amaretto sours consumed Christmas day, though this year it was a bit of Lemoncello (back to Amaretto next year).

We celebrate at my father's house on Christmas eve with my family and with my in-laws on Christmas day. The in-laws provide an outstanding Italian antipasto (cheese, meats, bread, and so much more), followed by soup. We break a bit (sometimes watch a movie) and then it's lasagna with meatballs, sausage, pork etc. Many Italian pastries and cheesecake follow for dessert. Well worth the sobriety.

All the best !!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived