Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jeff Beck!

Durockrolly

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it. He's about the only living legendary player from the 60's I can think of that continues to be a pioneer and to stay creatively inspired on guitar.

Having a cool band's gotta help. :cool:

That doesn't look like your stereotypical bassist either. :D

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

I've always been a huge JB fan. He's always been an innovator. I love how gets that slide sound with just his fingers and the whammy bar.

And who is that bassist....she looks like a kid!!!!

"We're just musician's.....here to thin the thickness of your skin." - Max Webster

I can't think of anyone from his generation who is still evolving & continually getting deeper as a player, still exploring ever more advanced technique. The guy has complete mastery of the instrument, yet it isn't about technical chops with him. It's about emotionally deep music making. He continues to amaze me. I saw his tour about a year & a half ago, & he's doing stuff now in the Crossroads gig he wasn't doing back then. Truly inspiring. Not to mention he's in fantastic shape for a guy of 60-something.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

I new there was more to this broadcast then will be put on the commercial DVD. Please, someone, tell me you TIVOed it and can burn the concert to DVD for me.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Well, he's no Yngwie Malmsteen. ;) And that's a damn good thing! :D

Jeff Beck's one Hell of a great player, and he does things entirely his own way, on his own terms. I love the way he plays the amp, too, getting a fantastic tone by letting it live and breath with a wisp of feedback here, a fade to a cleaner sound there, etc., both by natural dynamic interplay between guitar and amp, and string and volume-knob manipulation at the guitar. Notice how the harmonic-overtones and the fundamental tone sort of swim around within a note from time to time. And this is all just his "touch", let alone his phrasing and technique and all!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

This prompted me to scope out "'Cause We've Ended As Lovers" (a classic old Jeff Beck original), also a YouTube vid from the same gig. Check it out! It's da F-word- Fusion- in all the best ways! :D

Please note the absence of a guitar pick... :cool:

Well, true. He poses as a Rock Guitar God, while Jeff Beck was one of the players the term was invented to describe... ;)

Seriously, check that link I threw up there... while he might not be playing a bunch of light-speed swept scales and arpeggios, he's playing something better- music.

Well, true. He poses as a Rock Guitar God, while Jeff Beck was one of the players the term was invented to describe... ;)

Seriously, check that link I threw up there... while he might not be playing a bunch of light-speed swept scales and arpeggios, he's playing something better- music.

Believe me...my tongue was planted firmly in cheek when I wrote that.

"We're just musician's.....here to thin the thickness of your skin." - Max Webster

Believe me...my tongue was planted firmly in cheek when I wrote that.

Yeah, I kinda knew, sorry I still got kinda ranty on ya, moeblues04! Bear with a crotchety old nut like myself! :D

Please note the absence of a guitar pick... :cool:

That, and a lot of picking with his thumb & melodic phrasing by deft whammy moves. Also check out "Angel (Footsteps)" from the same concert. You'll see some amazing right hand bottleneck work.

Scott Fraser

I'll have to get around to that one, too. D'you mean literal right-hand bottleneck, as in his using something in or on his right-hand to do slide, or nailing a bottleneck sound with right-hand on the whammy and other techniques sans-slide?

I'd like to say that Jeff Beck has been one of the great players who made me feel vindicated for taking my own somewhat wonky, unorthodox approach to guitar... I had already decided to abandon the plectrum before I read of his having done the same, among other players... Makes you feel good when you find out that someone like that has been doing something similar to great effect! Not only inspiring, but also encouraging and even empowering.

D'you mean literal right-hand bottleneck, as in his using something in or on his right-hand to do slide, or nailing a bottleneck sound with right-hand on the whammy and other techniques sans-slide?

After the solos he plays the tune once more with bottleneck in the standard fashion, then takes the slide with his right hand & plays the tune again an octave higher by hitting the strings with the edge of the bottleneck, up near the middle & bridge pickups. You have to see it. Totally awesome.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Thanks for the reply, Scott!

The beauty of playing slide up there- and this is NOT to knock or belittle Mr. Beck, 'cause it's WHAT you play, far more importantly than how you play it- is that the incremental distance between notes is much closer, making it easier in some ways to play ; but I guess it might also be easier to make a mistake by overshooting your mark, as well, if you're not careful, huh! :D

I've always loved the bits that Duane Allman played up there on "Layla" with Eric Clapton, especially the "birds" chirping at the very end.

And I had a LOT of fun playing weird slide on my friends' kid's tiny toy classical (a real clunker), probably about a 16.75" scale-length, missing a string with five nylon strings of the same gauge; I tuned 'em to an Open-Gm9. I made a recording with it at another friend's, and you'd never believe that it was played on a miniature piece of junk!

Anyways, back to Beck- I love his brand of "fingerstyle" playing, the way he throws in artificial-harmonics, manipulates the volume-knob and whammy-bar within phrases, "plays the amp", and plays melodies and brief melodic phrases as much as or more than scalar-runs and arpeggios. And when he relies on licks, they're always good ones and never a crutch!

Jeff is Jeff.

He always has been fiercely individual, and I suspect always will be!!

IMO he's got the best right hand that ever touched an electric guitar. He does stuff with his right hand that even the best technico guys (Vai, Satch, Yingwie, etc ) haven't figured out yet. He has constantly changed. Every thing he does is worthy of carefull attention.

I saw him on his tour last year in NYC, and Scott is right...the Crossroads band is different (except for Vinnie C on drums, who I'd not replace either!!! LOL) in spite of it only being months from the tour to the time of the Crossroads Chi-town show.

Forgive me for not looking it up right now, but that bass player is a very young (??early 20's??) Australian. IMO she is amazing. .....not hard to look at either..... :eek::cool:

If I were a young player today, I'd spend a lot of time trying to copy Jeff's right hand technique. That, and his soul put him pretty much in a league of his own.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Why only if you "were a young player today"? Why not a player who goes by mdrs sometimes? ;)

While I haven't made a study of Jeff Beck's right-hand technique specifically, anything and everything I play is always without a pick. And I enjoy manipulating a guitar's volume-knobs and whammy-bar, as well as playing picking-hand induced harmonic effects and similar tonal tweaks. It's a very underused approach, I'm surprised there aren't more players doing that sort of stuff!

I love Jeff Beck's playing. I didn't think he was particularly on for the Crossroads performance, I just watched the DVD myself this weekend. He seemed a little unfocused musically. Even then it was really good stuff.

The person who blew me away was Sonny Landreth, he was shredding on slide. I have a live album of his but it didn't touch what he was playing at Crossroads, he was absolutely brilliant.

Gruppi....I'll have to disagree with your assesment of JB at crossroads/Chicago. He was on fire, and brillant.

One thing that I forgot to mention in my previous post in this thread about Jeff beck, is that if you listen, you'll find that even live, he never misses the pitch he's going for. Even when using slide, or all of his various right and left hand tricks to bend up or down, he virtually never misses. It's truely amazing.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

• 4 weeks later...
I've always been a huge JB fan. He's always been an innovator. I love how gets that slide sound with just his fingers and the whammy bar.

And who is that bassist....she looks like a kid!!!!

She is Tal Wilkenfeld. She's an Australian and she's in her early 20's. http://www.talwilkenfeld.com/Tal.html

Turn me over, I'm done on this side...

I saw him on his tour last year in NYC, and Scott is right...the Crossroads band is different (except for Vinnie C on drums, who I'd not replace either!!! LOL) in spite of it only being months from the tour to the time of the Crossroads Chi-town show.

The only different member of the band was Tal Wilkenfield... besides Vinnie C, the keyboard player, Jason Rebello, was also in the band from 2006. The group at Crossroads did a European tour earlier in '07.

Why only if you "were a young player today"? Why not a player who goes by mdrs sometimes? ;)

While I haven't made a study of Jeff Beck's right-hand technique specifically, anything and everything I play is always without a pick. And I enjoy manipulating a guitar's volume-knobs and whammy-bar, as well as playing picking-hand induced harmonic effects and similar tonal tweaks. It's a very underused approach, I'm surprised there aren't more players doing that sort of stuff!

I know what you mean, there are more things you can do with your fingers dynamically than with a pick. But there is always a tradeoff. For myself I need to use my left hand mainly when I use my fingers on electric. I like it though, and can get some cool warm tones.

Beck's tone is incredible. I mean in his hands. His vibrato is like magic or something. Very unique and his own. You gotta figure its partly his vision, partly his hands mass, and partly what amps and guitars he chooses.

I have heard him hack live, but I have heard him go sick and hit every note so perfect--nobody could duplicate it. But I haven't actually been to a Beck concert.

I am going to listen to that Diamonddust concert now

The time I saw him hack was on Arsenio Hall. He came on and played through a fender clean amp with no gain. Then he tried to play a bunch of whammy bar beckish licks and it sounded terribly out of tune and his tone was terrible with 0 sustain.

I wonder what the story was on that show.

Archived