Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just got a Nord Wave

Stephen Fortner

I just got a Nord Wave, which I'm writing a review of for the March issue. Quite a potent little synth - it's got analog modeling, FM, single-cycle wavetables, and sample-playback. The big deal about it is that you can import your own samples, then use them as oscillator waveforms for patches that are fully tweakable with the rest of the synthesis engine.

So if anyone's had any burning questions, fire away. I'll answer all I can here in addition to incorporating them into the review. :D

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My biggest question, due to my theft last year, is whether it can import Nord Lead 3 patches and performances (four-part multis) or not. Originally it sounded like it could. Now I'm not sure. Thanks.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Nova Musik just posted some demos for the Nord Wave, and they are extremely thin and one-dimensional. Surely it's a better instrument than those demos indicate, but it sounds not very versatile and aimed primarily at Euro-trends.

What a contrast with the new Prophet '08 demos Nova Musik posted today! Practically enough for me to ignore my bank balance and rush out and get one right away! P-H-A-T!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I am curious how much in the way of wavesequencing/wavetable techniques you can do with it.

None. Clavia uses the term "wavetable" to mean static single-cycle waves, not a table of scannable waves like PPG/Waldorf/Access/NI, etc...It really saddens me to see this misnomer perpetuated. My Nord Stage has "wavetables" too. :(

I'm a huge fan of Clavia's gear and have owned everything except for the Wave but the price seems rather dear for what it does - I just purchased a brand-new Nord Stage 76 for considerably less than what the Nord Wave streets at. Maybe I'll bite when they hit the used market...or when the dollar is actually worth something again ;)

The Mellotron samples make it more than a little attractive...

I'm eager to get Stephen's take on it!

I tried one that belongs to a friend briefly. The action is really good, playing the samples is a breeze and the Midi velocity is great - somthing that really bugged me about NL2 and 3 was the crappy midi vel. It will not be able to do NL3 multis since it's 2-part multitimbral (true multitimbrality unlike, say, the P'08 ;) ). Just like many of Clavia's products, what strikes you is not the specs or the gazillion things you can do with it, but rather how musical it is and how well it works in a context and blends with other instruments. I wasn't planning on getting one based on the specifications, but trying it really got me GASing. If I get anything at all (which is highly unlikely) it will probably be a P'08 or Adam A7 monitors, but then again the Mod G2 gives me all the Clavia synthesizm I need for now.

Is the VA sound more close to the first leads (1&2) or to the "thinner" NL3? Are the VA capabilities equal/similar to NL2X's or it's not as powerful? Do the onboard effects somehow supply to the absence of slots 3&4 (only 2-part multitimbral)?

All in all, is it really like a Lead + all the new features or - if you're looking mostly for VA - the NL2X is still a better choice?

Thank you very much in advance, Stephen!

Please make some demos that give us a taste of the wave with different styles of music not just Electronica, progressive or drum and bass.

MY Toys - Kurzweil PC1X, Roland A-90, Yamaha KX88, Yamaha CS1x, Novation 49SL MkII, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL PRX615M

My Music Page

Is the VA sound more close to the first leads (1&2) or to the "thinner" NL3?

I'm curious about this too as all the demos I've heard are sample-heavy.

I loved the sound of the Nord Lead 2/2X but never got on with the 3 at all.

This is what I'm most curious about. Does the Nord Wave have the aggressive sound of the NL2? How about the filters? How close to the NL2 sound can you get with the Wave?

Also, how good are the Mellotron sounds?

• 10 months later...

Thanks Stephen for the review. It was instrumental in helping me decide to add a Nord Wave to my studio. I was lucky enough to find an "open box" one with full warranty $700 off the street price.

The overall VA timbres are closer to the NL2 than the 3 which I never really got on with.

Very flexible engine. Very playable!

Hey Guys!

I made a little Nord Wave webpage with a demo MP3: http://carbon111.com/nordwave.html

http://www.carbon111.com/photos/nordwave1.jpg

...and FWIW Stephen pretty much addressed people's questions in the published review:

http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/clavia-nord-wave/mar-08/33947

I'm just really loving this synth!

Now that the NL2 vs. NL3 comparison has been made regarding the Nord Wave, how does it compare to the Yamaha AN1x/PLG150-AN?

Archived