Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ketron's SD-2

jpapas

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have one here at Keyboard central, in fact. It is multi-timbral, but I'm guessing that since it's so simply-designed, it expects that you'll handle anything involving channelization, i.e. splits and layers, from your DAW or MIDI controller keyboard. I'll have some time to play with it over the holidays, as we're reviewing it, so I'll let you know more specifics soon as I can. Would anyone like me to alert Ted Kraus from Ketron US to this thread? I'm sure he'd be happy to post here with an answer as well.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Yeah, it looked more for computer setup than live, when I looked into it a couple of months back. Yet it is very impressive overall as an affordable GM module that is better quality than most workstations (yet nowhere near a software sample library, so then what's the point if it is designed for studio use?).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

... I'll have some time to play with it over the holidays, as we're reviewing it, so I'll let you know more specifics soon as I can. Would anyone like me to alert Ted Kraus from Ketron US to this thread? I'm sure he'd be happy to post here with an answer as well.

Thanks Stephen that would be great.

To stay light and (relatively) cheap--

You could go stereo w/2 viscount contact CXs. Powered with 180 watts. 8 inch woofer plus tweeter, about 14 lbs each.

(I've never heard them, though, just looked at the specs online.)

If you used just one and went mono, your total kit weight would be less than most keyboards. Walk to the gig w/everything in a knapsack!

• 3 weeks later...

I emailed the question to AJ (he is out of town) this is his responce

ANSWER:-

YES. The SD2 is designed to be controlled directly via Midi. Depending on your Midi controller (uni or omni transmission), you can layer (2-4 voices) or generate 2-16 voices at any given instance (say in the case where you are playing a midifile). You can also assign a SPLIT point and have separate voices to the LEFT and RIGHT of the SPLIT point. Ofcourse all this depends on the flexability of your midi controller. If using a Midi program (like CUBASE 4) ofcourse this can all be done through the software.

AJ

Archived