Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CP300 vs S90s vs Motifs

cnegrad

The CP300 is in the church, right?

So there ya have it.

Divine intervention. :D

That's why it sounds so good. :)

Tom is last seen running and ducking for cover from random lighting bolts raining from the sky. :eek:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just throwing my 2 cents in. I perfer the "Hrdvintage" patch on the S90ES to the "Vintage74" and other Rhodes patches.

I only played a CP300 briefly, so I can't really speak from much empircal evidence, but my first reaction was that it didn't have as good an acoustic piano patch as the S90ES; though, there wasn't much of a difference. In reality, for most of these patches, you're splitting hairs on which one is better. It's a very subjective call in any event, let alone taking into consideration the variables like quality of speakers (or earbuds) it's playing through, eq that may be applied, room ambiance, effects, and such.

Regards.

Samick baby grand; Yamaha S90-ES; Ensoniq E-prime; bongos; tambourine; djimbe

http://www.mindseyeviewband.com/MindsEyeView/MEV.htm

Before I purchased my S90ES, I tried both the CP300 and the S90ES.

I felt that the action of the cp300 was faster and smoother than the s90, especially with rapid fire ostinato notes. In terms of sound, the S90ES was superior. Something about the tone seemed very lifelike and natural for a digital piano. The CP300 was very good but still seemed dry in comparison. While the action of the S90ES is very good, my dream board would be the action of the 300 with the sound of the 90es.

As far as the electric pianos are concerned, those on the S90ES are extremely good but for some reason I'm still partial to the electric pianos on my Kurzweil ME1 Module. In fact,I like them better than the EPs on the Nord Electro. I always thought the acoustic pianos on the ME1 module were good, but after playing the S90ES piano, I now realize how weak they sound in comparison.

So it must be a combination of the weighted action and how the velocity switching is programmed. I guess I'll have to take some time and learn how to edit the velocity switching in my XS and see if that helps.

Try driving the XS electric pianos from the CP using midi. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Peace,

Jerry

The Rhodes folks here rave about on the S90ES, like the "Vintage 74" and "Hard Vintage" patches, are not dynoed Rhodes. The dynoed Rhodes stuff is ok, 2 or 3 layers, nothing too special though. As Busch suggested though the samples used for the CP300 dynoed Rhodes patch you like are most likely in the S90 sampleset somewhere.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

there is no comparison between CP300 and S90ES or motif XS in terms of EPs sound. CP300 EPs are very weak, on S90ES are very good, on XS they are stunning. In fact on XS I'd say they are even better then on fatmomX.
♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

First off, lets clear something up: There are numerous sources from both hardware and software of classic Rhodes sounds like "Vintage 74" and "Hard Vintage", and I own many of them. That is not what the discussion is about. So if you're one of those here that keep saying, well the_____ has great sounds that are much better than the "weak" CP300, then I strongly disagree since you keep telling me about the "Vintage 74" and "Hard Vintage" sounds. It seems like everyone who says that is not comparing apples to apples, or in this case, Dynos to Dynos. Yes, opinions are totally subjective; but please keep your comparisons restricted to Dyno-My-Piano samples. If they're not your cup of tea, that's fine. It's just not what I'm discussing here.

I just checked the KM "Rhodes sounds roundup" from a few issues back, and it mentions the "Premium Electric Piano" library from m-audio, which touts a Dyno Rhodes. Unfortunately, the two audio demos on their site don't include the Dyno. (I even called them to verify this, and they agreed.) Very frustrating.

Archived