Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Merry Christmas from Keith Emerson

tarkus

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought his Xmas album years ago. Some was schamltzy (including Carol of the Bells, but maybe it was a different version -- I'll have to wait until later to listen to the one linked above), but there was some nice solo piano music and even some of the synth stuff was tasteful. He ended the album with an out-of-character Gospel choir, which was borderline effective (I go back and forth on that one).

I always thought Greg Lake's juxtaposition of Prokofiev's Lt. Kije theme was brilliant as well, and hear it now and then in the grocery store so it's a bit of a surprise in its longevity (there are also two versions of the recording). I think Lake did that one on his own, but maybe Emerson helped with the arrangement.

It sure beats McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime" :-).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

there are also two versions of the recording

three.

Greg Lake's juxtaposition of Prokofiev's Lt. Kije theme was brilliant as well,
Emerson helped with the arrangement.

Yeah - Keith did a version of the "theme" - "Troika" on the ELP Christmas EP.

I bought his Xmas album years ago. Some was schamltzy (including Carol of the Bells, but maybe it was a different version -- I'll have to wait until later to listen to the one linked above), but there was some nice solo piano music and even some of the synth stuff was tasteful. He ended the album with an out-of-character Gospel choir, which was borderline effective (I go back and forth on that one).....

It seems that a lot of Christmas music in general, well, is schmaltzy.....and that's the way I like it! 'Bout the only type of music for which I can make this accommodation.....

That Gospel choir version of Silent Night is one of my favorite songs on the album. Very cool, unconventional rendition.

I agree, that is some mighty tasty piano work on the album. I also like that it features a Generalmusic Pro 2, my favorite DP of all time.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

That was weird!

I was listening to Phish on the computer as I clicked on the link. So when the Emerson christmas song started in..... it was like it belonged with the Phish song. I kept trying to turn Phish off and listen not realizing that it was Keith already playing..i thought they had made some radical key change!

Oh well nice work on BOTH songs :}

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

...to be honest with you, that is more like what I expected from the original Christmas

Album.

With all the success some folks have had doing Christmas Music and taking it on

the road, I'd not be surprised to see Emerson do the same.

I'm looking forward to it...

Archived