Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mike Portnoy auctioning drums for charity

mdrs

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=86933

Mike Portnoy, Dream Theater's drummer extraordinare, is auctioning off the drum kit he played while performing in his Who tribute shows, "Amazing Journey".

All proceeds go to "Camp Good Days And Special Times", "a non-profit organization that provides FREE recreational programs for families whose lives have been touched by cancer, sickle cell anemia, HIV, AIDS or homicide."

VeloDoug tipped me off to this auction. Seems like a good cause.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL....I was at one of those shows...I think they played a couple of shows on the west coast, then played a couple of shows at B.B. Kings in NYC, where I saw them.

It was a really excellent, and fun show. I took two of my son's with me. We went early, and had an early dinner at B.B.'s. In comes Gary Cherone, who sang for them that night. He stopped by our table, and we had a nice long conversation with him. He related very much with my sons, both of whom play guitar and drums. He was really interested in their playing, and in my one son's band. He struck me as a stand up, great guy...the kind of rocker you'd like to live next door to.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

if i played drums and had a few thousand dollars, then i would buy it. mike portnoy is da shit. random trivia fact: in the Dream Theater song "In the Name of God" of Train of Thought, during the bridge, Mike Portnoy tapped out "eat my ass and balls" in morse code on the hi-hat cymbal, which is a personal phrase.

He's a pig. Hitler was a world class skeet marksman and orator he was a pig too. Cast the first stone? huh? and you think that's ok Zan? very surprised! Having a specific skill doesn't mean your not a pig.

i am only pointing out that everyone was judged by something we have said we would be all considered pigs.

i have spent enough time here to realize that none of us are pure.

Portnoy's pretty darn good, Garibaldi's great too, Terry Bozio, Josh Freese, and so on but as long as we're on the subject of great drummers it's all about Barnard Purdie. He's one of those guys who's been on more records than you know. Just a complete master too. Someone with incredible technical skills but who really knows how to put them in context and play with people. And what a personality. A complete character. Look here. Watch him "'splain to you" ;) in part one and put it together in part two. It's an incredible beat and I get a kick out of watching him.

Part 1

Part 2 :eek: :eek:

He clearly loves what he does too.

Then you'll never hear surf music again...

I'll have to check a lot of these guys out - not familiar with most of them. Last year at the Chicago Classic Drum Show I saw Johnny Rabb put on one of the clinics they had - I was blown away by what he did. Marco Miniman is another hot drummer out there.

Reverbnation stuff

More Reverbnation stuff

I feel happy! I feel happy!

Drummers are like guitarists, or any artist. Its all whatever floats your boat.

There is no best or worst. Usually at that level, style is the defining attribute of a player. Like who is better Mike Portney or Alex Van Halen? Like who is better Stewart Copeland or Danny Carey or however you spell it. You can't compare them at that level because they have achieved success and style on thier instruments. They are all equals.

Does that mean those players are as advanced technically as some jazz fusion god? Dunno, I don't play drums. But the fusion guys seem like they take it to another level of complexity, much like the guitarists or bassists/keyboards.

I know for guitar, rock players generally aren't as advanced as jazz or fusion players technically, or in thier applied knowledge of music. But for rock, they rule so who cares. I would rather hear Jimmy Page over most fusion shredheads tho.

Does that mean those players are as advanced technically as some jazz fusion god?

Portnoy plays fusion in one of his many side projects, so that's a functionally irrelevant question.

My whole point, ultimately, was that someone was slagging him for no good reason.

Does that mean those players are as advanced technically as some jazz fusion god?

Portnoy plays fusion in one of his many side projects, so that's a functionally irrelevant question.

My whole point, ultimately, was that someone was slagging him for no good reason.

Im not ripping on him. My drummer worships him. All I am saying is usually players in 1 genre are not masters in another genre. You know like if you took Vai or Satch and told them to play country. They could probably get some key licks down and fake it, but it wouldn't be the same as a real country guy who only plays that style doing it. So its hard to compare players like that.

I concur, in most cases. However, Portnoy has demonstrated quite a bit of skill in other genres outside his "native" prog metal, from work on tribute projects from the Beatles to ELP to Rush, to fusion work with his pet project Liquid Tension Experiment, to work with legends like Andy West, Neal Morse, and John Arch - the guy basically can do anything on the drums.

Archived