Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

self improvement through Bach

fretless5

I have many years experience playing electric and string bass, including a professional orchestra position. I would like to pass along a practice concept that will benefit electric bassists everywhere (string bassists already know this secret ;).

If you play 5-string bass, especially fretless, here is my advice for a practice routine that will improve your sight-reading and fingerboard knowledge as well as broaden your musical horizons: Get a copy of the six suites for solo cello by J.S. Bach.'

Why should you practice cello music on the 5-string? For one, these short pieces are great music, and by and large are all playable on the 5-string due to the fact that the lowest note on a cello is "C" while the lowest note on a 5-string with standard tuning is "B." Not all of the cello suites are playable on the bass, mostly due to the fact that the cello is tuned in fifths, and Bach's music takes advantage of the open string notes of a cello which are different than those on a bass (C,G,D,A,E vs. B,E,A,D,G). If you stick it out with these pieces you will definitely improve your sight reading and fingerboard knowledge. As you play them challenge yourself to use different fingerings and make decisions as why one fingering may be better than the other. If you are comfortable reading bass clef and want an additional reading/fingerboard workout, transpose the pieces to tenor clef and you will have an upper fingerboard workout. For example, if the piece is originally written in G major (one sharp) transpose the piece to D major (two sharps) and read the music as if it was written in tenor clef. Alternately you could just play the music as originally written an octave up.

If you need to actually hear this music a great portion is available on YouTube as the music is standard repertoire for cellists.

Well, that's it. Give it a shot. I play these pieces on a 5-string fretless and I assure you they are doable (except for those reasons listed above).

And no, I do not play cello.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hhmmmm, first post with intellegent speak and spelling...

looks like spam.

Is the JS himself trying to drum up more sales of his suites that otherwise might not be selling??**

Brocko

** hold your left mouse button and drag below....

NO NO NO this is intended as HUMOR HAHA HUMOR!! Get IT?!? No?

BAH!

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

I like Bach. I can play one of his songs on 4 string electric. I like the different sound that it gives compared to rock music.

Okay I got my hair cut! Its now this short *shows how short using hand*

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

[font:Comic Sans MS]Cool SaxO, Here is one Jeremy might like more.....

[/font]

Teach me to double check my links... that's the one I intended to leave up.

The one I linked to is the first one I found. Sounds like he's tapping a bowl of pudding in bad time.

- Matt W.

[font:Comic Sans MS]Cool SaxO, Here is one Jeremy might like more.....

[/font]

Teach me to double check my links... that's the one I intended to leave up.

The one I linked to is the first one I found. Sounds like he's tapping a bowl of pudding in bad time.

You're a bowl of pudding.

That's a great link. Cool arrangement.

Archived