Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NLA Week

Davo-London

What's NLA Week?

Well it's a riddle or more of a puzzle. But it's important to musicians not just bassists. A lot of bassists are not adequately aware of it. But it's a simple technique and can have a dramatic effect on how you are perceived.

What is NLA?

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nastily Loud Amplifiers? :D

A friend of mine, who I consider among the Bass´s unknown greatest, once was told to rent some of his bass backline for a concert. He owns several fine gear, so trying to be professional and polite, he asked "Exactly what kind of sound are you looking for?". The guy answered "Dunno. I´m not in the band. Bring something that looks nasty". He showed up there with an SVT and a 8x10. The "band turned out to be "Kreator", a German thrash-speed-hardcore-ultra-heaviest-Metal band. My friend -used to play all kinds of music EXCEPT Metal- went there with his wife -fond of Barry Manilow, among others- to the venue, to find hundreds of highly excited long haired teens and not-so teens with chains and stuff like that. Once the show started (they were awaiting backstage for the show to end and take the rig away), he understood in that particular case, "tone" was, to say the most, the least... :P

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

Tim you are sooooooooooooooooo close.

It is Note Length Awareness Week.

I'm making it official. On sunday night I spent the entire band time focusing on this aspect alone. Afterwards the drummer said: "Something was different tonight. It was much more punchy, more groovy, more solid ... what were you up to?"

Just trying to help ...

Davo

Just in a way of further explanation, we had an extra guitarist and so the band was:

3 off Vocals

1 off keys

2 off guitars (acoustic and electric)

1 off bass (moi)

1 off drums

I noticed that I was cutting through less than normal and rather than just turning myself up, which usually escalates ... I decided to vary my technique. I played less, often skipping a verse, and with a lot more rests between notes. Hence, NLA. I also attempted to stop the bass note on a hi-hat/ride hit and so the drummer had a wonderful sensation that he was turning the bass on and off.

Davo

Just in a way of further explanation, we had an extra guitarist and so the band was:

1 off keys

You´re very fortunate. I´ve had to play in bands where there are more than only one "Off key" person.. mwahahahaha!!!

But now seriously, yes. Note length is something that can definitely change the entire groove thing, the whole staccatto/picato/legato thing. Ask Prestia. ;)

I always say the most difficult for any musician, but specially for a Bass Player to learn, is the concept of Air/Space. How the groove (and therefore, the song) breathes and works, is really subtle, but the results are always bigger than it may seem at first sight...

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

... I decided to vary my technique. I played less, often skipping a verse, and with a lot more rests between notes. Hence, NLA. I also attempted to stop the bass note on a hi-hat/ride hit and so the drummer had a wonderful sensation that he was turning the bass on and off.

Davo

Very interesting post. In my current band I have often tried the same thing, like not coming in until after the first verse, etc. I ALWAYS get that panic-deer-in-the-headlights-look-OMG!-what-are-you-doing-Paul!

My interpretation of this is that i need to find some more musical cats to play with.

Meow.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Archived