Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ike Turner - RIP

Bluesape

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea....Anyone that could assult his wife drops off my respectability radar INSTANTLY.

He may have made a musical contribution. But, after learning what he did to Tina, I CAN'T SEEM TO RECALL WHAT HIS RELAVANCE WAS????

And, I really don't care, either.

I'm never happy to hear that someone has died. Well, ALMOST NEVER.

:snax:

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

IIRC, he was the first to record deliberately distorted electric guitar in the '50s; what was his band's name, the Rock & Roll Trio, I think? Anyways, it seems he had noticed a wild distorted sound when a tube was part-way loose after an amp had fallen off a car or somethinbg like that, so he pulled the same tube part-way out of its socket in the studio for one session. (Besides making a milestone in electric/rock guitar history, he was probably also extremely lucky he fried neither his amp nor himself... )

And, yeah, I know whatcha mean, mdrs...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Anyways, it seems he had noticed a wild distorted sound when a tube was part-way loose after an amp had fallen off a car or somethinbg like that...

Oh, was that HIM was it?

Yeah, I feel a bit uncomfortble talking about him, because of the wife-beating thing (and plus, I thought I'd read he died a few years ago anyway). Well, if he invented distorted guitars on records, good for him.

But about that wife-beating thing...

I agree, Strat. Ike deserves all the respect in death that he gave his wife in life.

Just about NONE.

I'm not trying to pick on anyone here. But, I can't stand ANYONE who takes advantage of someone weaker or smaller or younger than them.

I'll let it go.....Ike did some music. So, I'll stay out of any further discussion. But, you all know how I feel about the likes of Ike.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

Do you remember the line from the Bill Cosby flick about how cocaine affects you? Someone told Cosby that cocaine intensifies your personailty. His respose was "So, what if you're an a--hole?"

Ike was a coke head, and what he did to Tina was pretty typical cokehead behavior. It was his own fault for getting into that crap in the first place, so I'm not excusing him in any way, but you gotta remember that he was out of his freakin' head when he did all that stuff to Tina. That wasn't the real Ike. So cut the guy a little slack, he's dead and he won't be hurting anyone ever again.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I hear what you are saying, Picker.

But, I bet if you asked Tina, she'd say that the fact that Ike was drinkin, on coke, WHATEVER, didn't make any difference from her perspective.

Don

Hell, I thought he had been dead for years. I figured Tina killed his ass.....I guess he would have been glad that I was wrong about that...at least until now.

Never was much of a fan......especially after he pummelled his wife, you know? I certainly wouldn't wish him dead though...but being as it already happened to him and all.....well...it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Hell, I thought he had been dead for years. I figured Tina killed his ass.....I guess he would have been glad that I was wrong about that...at least until now.

Never was much of a fan......especially after he pummelled his wife, you know? I certainly wouldn't wish him dead though...but being as it already happened to him and all.....well...it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Same here.

I have to agree with Don and Sas on this one.

I won't speak poorly of the guy because he has passed away, but I have zero tolerance for folks who mistreat women, so I won't be speaking all that kindly about him either.

Same here.

I have to agree with Don and Sas on this one.

I won't speak poorly of the guy because he has passed away, but I have zero tolerance for folks who mistreat women, so I won't be speaking all that kindly about him either.

DITO

An icon died, fer crissake! Ya could dredge up the same kinda dirt on Ray Charles, Syd Vicious, Axel Rose, Gerry Lee Lewis, Steven Segal, ...... the list is endless. Not defending his private past, but he made some memorable music, hence the obit.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

An icon died, fer crissake! Ya could dredge up the same kinda dirt on Ray Charles, Syd Vicious, Axel Rose, Gerry Lee Lewis, Steven Segal, ...... the list is endless. Not defending his private past, but he made some memorable music, hence the obit.

Well...my aunt was Jerry Lee Lewis' 2nd wife. I ain't necessarily crazy about him either.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

To touch on Reif's comments. That list is a hell of a lot bigger and with far more evidence against the accused.

I was reading several articles about Ike Turner and they all talked about Tina's book, which he has denied her accusations since the book and more, since that movie came out.

There were quotes from former Ikettes (or what ever they were called) and they all spoke highly of the guy. Several talking about his generosity and kindness. Helping them in their careers. Something I wouldn't expect to hear from women who supposedly were there for the beatings and abuse.

I can't say I am an Ike and Tina historian but I liked their music. Being an R&B fan as a teen, and there were not a lot of white teens showing up at BB King or James Brown concerts, I don't recall anyone coming out and attesting to Tina's book. When it came out, she was such a star and icon, I wondered if anyone wanted to side with a down and out Ike.

Just a thought. Anyone abusing my daughters would be around very long.

Peace

To touch on Reif's comments. That list is a hell of a lot bigger and with far more evidence against the accused.

I was reading several articles about Ike Turner and they all talked about Tina's book, which he has denied her accusations since the book and more, since that movie came out.

There were quotes from former Ikettes (or what ever they were called) and they all spoke highly of the guy. Several talking about his generosity and kindness. Helping them in their careers. Something I wouldn't expect to hear from women who supposedly were there for the beatings and abuse.

I can't say I am an Ike and Tina historian but I liked their music. Being an R&B fan as a teen, and there were not a lot of white teens showing up at BB King or James Brown concerts, I don't recall anyone coming out and attesting to Tina's book. When it came out, she was such a star and icon, I wondered if anyone wanted to side with a down and out Ike.

Just a thought. Anyone abusing my daughters would be around very long.

Peace

Naw, man..Ike publicly admitted the abuse toward Tina AND his kids and blamed it on cocaine. He actually spent several years in prison in California on drug charges.

He was a good rocker...I won't take that away from him. Just not a good man.....

BTW...pointing to a list of other people that have problems doesn't make Ike's any better...just because other people are idiots doesn't make it OK for him to be one too, you know? All it points out really is the the rock and roll world is full of them. ;)

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Sa,

I am not defending any one who abuses women but the major obits I read today all state that Ike has always denied abusing Tina. He admits to drugs and drug abuse and prison.(That's even a long list of rockers. Seems I remember Chuck Berry spending some prison time for taxes and several domestic violence charges and I don't hear an out cry but none of ex's became an icon and wrote a book that was a best seller. )but I just did some googling and can find nothing on Ike admitting he abuse Tina nor any of the many back up singers they had talking about it.

Did it happen? Hell, I don't know but I think we all see Ike as Laurence Fishburn or visa versa. With the time frame and life style of East St Louis, I don't doubt it

Peace

Archived