Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil PC3x shipping ?

Eastward_In_Eden

The full page ads for the PC3X look terrific :)

Is it just me or does there seem to be some confusion when these will actually appear in the U.S. ?

The offer for the free VA-1 upgrade is tempting, but can you find ANY info about this item on their website ?

I know KurzweilMusic means well and are under-staffed...still, I can't wait to read KeyboardMag's first review !!

"Musicians are magicians"...W.Carlos

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did find the ad in this month's Keyboard Magazine somewhat amusing: It offers the free VA-1 upgrade ("a $599 value"!) for PC3x's that are purchased before December 31st, but you can't even find these things anywhere in the States yet. And Sweetwater, for example, is saying on their website that, according to Kurzweil, shipping on the PC3x won't be available until early 2008. To me, it's fairly presumptuous for Kurzweil to expect people to buy an instrument that they can't even hear or play anywhere, but what do I know. I guess some people will do it.

Noah

I still remember waiting over a year for the K2500 KDFX board that was supposed to be ready "next week at the latest". I'm not falling for that again. Whenever this instrument finally shows up I'll take a look at it, but it's still got mostly the same old ROM samples, no ability to load custom samples and a Fatar keybed. The "free" VA-1 is just a marketing gimmick - they're including some code from an abandoned virtual analog synth project (inside and instrument that is already mostly a virtual analog synth) and then kindly not charging extra for it.

I wouldn't dismiss the PC3 just yet... I've been following the PC3 discussion on Sonikmatter very closely, and I suspect this is going to be a truly amazing sounding board.
Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

I wouldn't dismiss the PC3 just yet... I've been following the PC3 discussion on Sonikmatter very closely, and I suspect this is going to be a truly amazing sounding board.

Yep, I hope you're right. I'll be patient and wait for at least one review of this...thanks !

"Musicians are magicians"...W.Carlos

"Next week at the latest..."

That's funny.

As others have said, give the PC3 a look - it will be the best synth we've ever produced, same old ROM aside. Regarding loading custom samples, this isn't the last product we'll ever build, and it's not a K-series, so hold onto your panties :thu:

Also, isn't your avatar a K-series board booting up?

Just curious :D

Oh yeah, end of January is looking fairly promising, from what I'm being told. NO PROMISES, just best educated guesses from the local KC Kurzvangelist.

ivorycj

Live Rig: Kurzweil Forte 7 driving MacBook Pro M1Max w/64GB RAM | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Roland RD-64

Studio Rig: Yamaha CP88 driving same MBP | Roland D-70 | Synth Spa Roland Juno-106 | Yamaha DX7IIFD

and a Fatar keybed.

What's wrong with Fatar keybeds? The models that they use in PC3X (TP-40H and TP-40L) are one of the best feeling keybeds out there.

The "free" VA-1 is just a marketing gimmick - they're including some code from an abandoned virtual analog synth project (inside and instrument that is already mostly a virtual analog synth) and then kindly not charging extra for it.

You think if someone spent awful lot of $$$ on developing a synth (that was expected to be the best VA synth out there) and then weren't able to release it due to numerous reasons, then he should definitely give it away for free?

Well, once the additional schedule slip was announced, I had to make a tough decision, and decided last Friday to pull out of the PC3X. I'm not going to formally cancel my pre-order with Sweetwater though until my Studiologic VMK188plus arrives next week. I've never had the opportunity to try one, and in spite of the reviews, may find I hate it.

I have a LOT of high-profile holiday gigs coming up, and I just can't continue with synth-action only keybeds and a single keyboard at a gig. I waited almost two years to replace my last 88-key board. But now I will be a PC3r rack customer instead, unless either the VMK has action I don't like or the PC3 (when it comes out) has action that I much prefer. Too many ifs, so I had to make a decision for now.

I really wanted to be able to support Kurzweil in the early phases of their recovery, and to show my faith in them by pre-oredering and qualifying for the VA-q1 board. I'm not at all angry about the slippage as I would rather see a more stable board come out that doesn't suffer the fate of the Alesis Fusion. And it forced a decision at a time when I really couldn't put it off any longer.

I got the VMK188plus at a huge discount, so it was a lower-risk investment than had I gone the CME route once again. That will make it easier for me to switch to the PC3X later next year if I still think I need those sorts of sounds regularly in a live setting (though considering how fed up I am with how hard it is to get musical results out of most sample libraries, I may find myself returning to a Kurzweil synth for studio work as well :-)).

Best of luck to everyone, and I look forward to hearing the PC3X when it comes out. The only store I know of in the SF Bay Area that intends to get it as soon as it is released is Gelb Music in Redwood City (I've called several others to inquire); though Guitar Centre seems to be trying to get back in the picture as a reseller as well. As much as I hate Guitar Centre, I WANT to see that happen, as it will help Kurzweil reestablish its presence.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

This is why so many companies don't announce ship dates until they're solid, and I mean really solid. It looks bad to keep delaying, it upsets more people than it entices (at least if there are several or many delays), and it just hurts the company, IMNSHO. If they had simply appeared with this product ready to go, it would have looked like, "Voila! We are back with this great new product!" and would have been much more impressive.

That being said, I wish Kurzweil all the best and much success for years to come. Any time I'm in the market for new gear, I plan on looking at their offerings as closely as any other manufacturer. Tom (among others) has swayed me to always keep them in mind. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Yep, I have good wishes for Kurzweil too. I would love to see them succeed. It would also be nice to get a rompler that is actually a WORKSTATION from them someday. The Big 3 are moving in a different direction than what my needs are, so I will be looking elsewhere when it comes time to upgrade.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

What's wrong with Fatar keybeds? The models that they use in PC3X (TP-40H and TP-40L) are one of the best feeling keybeds out there.

I'm not familiar with the TP-40 keybeds. How are they with regards to durability and reliability? Unfortunately I'm far too familiar with the Fatar TP-10Ms used in the K2600Xs. There's plenty wrong with those, such as ridiculously designed counterweights made from crap plastic that begin cracking after a few weeks of use and sensor boards that play select notes at full velocity. I know of one Broadway contractor who won't allow Kurzweil boards to be used on his shows because he's fed up with constantly having to repair these keybeds. This is a shame, because there is still no better instrument on the market for dealing with the demands of an ambitious Broadway orchestrator.

You think if someone spent awful lot of $$$ on developing a synth (that was expected to be the best VA synth out there) and then weren't able to release it due to numerous reasons, then he should definitely give it away for free?

I would hardly consider the asking price of the PC3X to be "free". And I stand by my statement that offering a feature (that had been publicized as being part of the basic design) for "free" with a deadline that's prior to the instrument in question even being available for sale is a marketing gimmick, and not a particularly well executed one.

I love my K2600 (76 note!) and K2600R and do wish Kurzweil luck with their new venture. I'm just not pre-ordering one.

I would hardly consider the asking price of the PC3X to be "free". And I stand by my statement that offering a feature (that had been publicized as being part of the basic design) for "free" with a deadline that's prior to the instrument in question even being available for sale is a marketing gimmick, and not a particularly well executed one.

Things haven't changed much. My Matrix-12 came with coupons for the polyphonic aftertouch and the 8-audio out expansion. The owners manual was a cute touch. They inluded 2 Xpander manuals since the 12 was the equivalent of two six-voice Xpanders. There was a 12-page photo-copied cover sheet to describe the keyboard features.

Maybe it's why i like the softsynth world. It has that cottage industry feel...

This is a shame that it has delayed so many times. I was talking to my man tonysounds a few nights ago. We both agreed that Kurzweil should have followed the DSI model. Just don't tell anyone about it, period, until you are within weeks of truly shipping it. If DSI can do it, I would hope Kurzweil could also do it. DSI did an extremely effective marketing job with the Prophet '08. No one knew one thing about it and then, BAM! We had this new intriguing product. With the PC3, it has already become a running joke and many folks have lost their faith.

I still look to the PC3 as a potential S90 replacement (particularly since it would fit in my same road case), but I'm not terribly interested in setting money aside to pre-order something that has missed its original delivery mark by many months.

Now we have it from the horse's mouth, David Weiser of Kurzweil (as posted a bit early over on the SonikMatter forum) says the US release of PC3X will use Fatar's TP40L action as does the Kurzweil SP2; whereas the European release will utilise the fatar TP40H action.

In either case, it looks like I will be personally happier with my just purchased Studiologic VMK188plus (which uses Fatar Grand Action or something like that), in terms of keybed action, and can refocus on stabilising my new setup and investing time in it knowint it will last me awhile, then looking forward to a PC3r rack eventually. Hopefully it will be 2u vs. 1u, with good controls.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived