Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jamming with a keyboard player

Hardtail

As some of you know, I'm no longer in a band anymore.

I have a great opportunity to practice with an excellent keyboard player after the Christmas holidays. From that, we'll bring in more people and build on it.

I've never jammed with a keyboard player before (he knows this).

Being mostly in your face with my LP, that's probably not going to work out well in this context.

Any suggestions on what I need to do long and short term to make this work?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Being mostly in your face with my LP, that's probably not going to work out well ..."

My approach to jamming is to listen to the other guys. Other people's approach is to go in swinging as big dick and blow everyone else away. If you go in and listen to what is happening, you might find yourself playing stuff you never thought of before, simply because you're inspired by what the other guy is laying down.

Many years ago I had a piano player bugging me to jam. I just couldn't see it in my head, so I constantly blew him off. Finally I went to his place with a acoustic one boring day. Well, it was so friggin' cool I could not believe it. We meshed really well, and I wanted to start a band. But he was altready committed to leaving town, since he couldn't find anyone here to work with. (sigh....)

So, keep your mind and your options open. It could suck, but it could also be way cool.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Well, keyboardists tend to take up a lot of room in the music, I guess it's because they can play ten or more notes at once. If this guy has experience jamming with other guys, he might be alright.

I guess the trick is to remember that you both bring different things to the music. You can't expect to play lead all the time, and should leave room for the keyboards. And the kb should remember that you can play chords just as well as he can, and not try to do too much.

Enjoy it... A keyboard gives you so much more freedom... You won't spend your time trying to fill up all the holes... Every band I've ever been in has had keys, (perhaps that's why I'm not as well rounded as I should be) but I never had to worry about those "lulls in the conversation" so to speak...You can spend more time doing tasty things instead of having to be "In Your Face" as you said... Have fun!!!!

As some of you know, I'm no longer in a band anymore.

I have a great opportunity to practice with an excellent keyboard player after the Christmas holidays. From that, we'll bring in more people and build on it.

I've never jammed with a keyboard player before (he knows this).

Being mostly in your face with my LP, that's probably not going to work out well in this context.

Any suggestions on what I need to do long and short term to make this work?

Learn some Doors songs!

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

my experience is that the keys take up a lot of

space. this is nice gives you more freedom.

hear is the down fall. keyboard players don't understand

the turn your amp up loud enough to get your amp

to break up tone thingy.

they are always asking you to turn down the guitar.

"don't you have a volume knob"

"why does it have to be so loud"(I have a 18 watt 1x12 combo

turned up to 3)

I suggest getting a hot plate or a soak

something

other than that have a blast

and jam away

Why do you lay down? I say that it beats standing up! whats got you feeling so down? I hold up my empty cup!

Keyboards can add a whole new dimension to your playing.

Keyboard players like to play in weird keys, like Db. They are just like a guitar, in that they can play rhythm and lead, but they approach it differently so it has a completely different feel.

I think, assuming this guy is good and has jammed with guitarists before, that you are in for a treat!

Keyboard players are like guitar players; some are good, some aren't. And among the good ones, some will easy to work with, some won't. Give it a shot, maybe you'll get lucky.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I think, assuming this guy is good and has jammed with guitarists before, that you are in for a treat!

So is he if I suck. LOL!

Seriously, it should be fun. This guy's really into R&B, funk, blues... stuff like that. It'll be a challenge for me.

So is he if I suck. LOL!

Seriously, it should be fun. This guy's really into R&B, funk, blues... stuff like that. It'll be a challenge for me.

Ahhhh...he's into the good stuff!! excellent :thu: !!!!

So is he if I suck. LOL!

I think we should talk about a Roadhog Band franchise. LOL!

So is he if I suck. LOL!

I think we should talk about a Roadhog Band franchise. LOL!

We are open to ALL innovative ideas!! :D:thu:

Do you guys have any other players? Any chance on getting a band together with this guy? You're a great player and should certainly be in a band.

We'll have to look for the other guys. We have a few connections for good drummers.

I'm going to be really, really picky about the bass player since the one I had was.... well... kind of crappy. LOL! I think he knows a good one.

Yeah, a good drummer and a good bass player really make a band. Make sure they can sing too!

Good singing is tough to find. As for myself, I'm not blessed with golden pipes. There's one or two tunes I can holler well enough.

Whatever we end up with, we'll just have to work real hard on vocals.

That sounds like fun - as said, it can add a whole new dimension to your playing. I was not aware that you were not in a band anymore - sorry to hear :( . But bands tend to come and go - keep playing and getting together with others and you will have one again before you know it!

Reverbnation stuff

More Reverbnation stuff

I feel happy! I feel happy!

I was not aware that you were not in a band anymore - sorry to hear :( .

Don't sweat it. I never expected to be with these guys for long anyway... just enough to get done what I needed to get done.

Sounds a bit heartless and mercenary but... oh well... I guess I'm heartless and mercenary. LOL!

...I'm no longer in a band anymore.

Does that mean you're no longer in a band or that you're now in a band again? ;)

(Ducks, runs and hides high school English and Grammar grades while being thankful that Safari now has spell check built in.)

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Does that mean you're no longer in a band or that you're now in a band again? ;)

(Ducks, runs and hides high school English and Grammar grades while being thankful that Safari now has spell check built in.)

What are you talking about?

Make sure they can sing too!

Good lookin' sisters with big ... uh ... um.... well, that helps too... :laugh:

I'm thinkin we could be twin brothers of different mothers.... :laugh:

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

What are you talking about?

Sounds redundant. If I'm wrong it would confirm my Cs & Ds in HS English. It was a bad joke. I know my writing on forums could easily be shot full of holes.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Archived