Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bought a Line 6 Spider Valve

Gifthorse

I am 100% blown away by this amp. I think it has the harmonic richness and complexity and clarity that my THD Bivalve had. In fact it might even sound better. The blue crunch channel dialed in with the master on 10 and the channel volume around half way and the gain around half is an insanely organic Marshall plexi type tone. It is like not even distortion. Its like a clean sound with tons of sustain and power tube flabby low end that sounds great micd. This amp has to be rocking the industry because it is that good. And the price on it is silly low.

Keep in mind it has to be pretty loud to sound the way it sounds. My buddy told me from Line 6 that it is better than anyone expected and that the preamp is very good as is the power section cuz they run at high voltage. If someone didn't tell me it was Line 6 and then they put that 1 blue crunch on the way I had it dialed in, I would think just for that 1 tone it would be worth it.

I got a great deal on it from GC at $635 out the door. But thats cuz my buddy from Line 6 talked to teh manager.

This amp smokes other amps in its price range, and amps out of its price range too. Especially combos.

Fender hot rod devilles and Peavey classics have thier hands full trying to compete with this amp's harmonic richness, features and price tag, as do Mesa Boogie and Marshall with their various combos.

But the boutique amp market has to be a bit weary of this cuz they really nailed it on the head with this one. I mean it wouldn't take much for them to take it a notch higher with teh Vedda Valve.

There is no gimmick in this amp, it is a real tube amp regardless of what you think of line 6. I have read some people rip on it in some reviews but they are mostly dumbasses who don't know tone. You know saying stuff like, "This amp is ok, if you run a metal zone through the front, not enough gain for me though.."

For some reason I doubt that guy's tone is cool live HEHE..

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am 100% blown away by this amp. I think it has the harmonic richness and complexity and clarity that my THD Bivalve had. In fact it might even sound better. The blue crunch channel dialed in with the master on 10 and the channel volume around half way and the gain around half is an insanely organic Marshall plexi type tone. It is like not even distortion. Its like a clean sound with tons of sustain and power tube flabby low end that sounds great micd. This amp has to be rocking the industry because it is that good. And the price on it is silly low.

Keep in mind it has to be pretty loud to sound the way it sounds. My buddy told me from Line 6 that it is better than anyone expected and that the preamp is very good as is the power section cuz they run at high voltage. If someone didn't tell me it was Line 6 and then they put that 1 blue crunch on the way I had it dialed in, I would think just for that 1 tone it would be worth it.

I got a great deal on it from GC at $635 out the door. But thats cuz my buddy from Line 6 talked to teh manager.

This amp smokes other amps in its price range, and amps out of its price range too. Especially combos.

Fender hot rod devilles and Peavey classics have thier hands full trying to compete with this amp's harmonic richness, features and price tag, as do Mesa Boogie and Marshall with their various combos.

But the boutique amp market has to be a bit weary of this cuz they really nailed it on the head with this one. I mean it wouldn't take much for them to take it a notch higher with teh Vedda Valve.

There is no gimmick in this amp, it is a real tube amp regardless of what you think of line 6. I have read some people rip on it in some reviews but they are mostly dumbasses who don't know tone. You know saying stuff like, "This amp is ok, if you run a metal zone through the front, not enough gain for me though.."

For some reason I doubt that guy's tone is cool live HEHE..

damn, that must sound sweet Bruce.

let us hear it.

Got a 1/12 combo but on the speaker stand it sounds massive. I wouldn't go so sick about it if it wasn't that cool for the money. I think i went pretty sick about the Guitar Port (price/coolness margin) but on a sickness level I may delve about 4 notches deeper with this one. I love Line 6. I think they make cool stuff and thier effects rock.

I am not saying that it can beat a classic amp at its game, I am just saying it could do alot more than alot of amps for the money and it could do them better than you would think.

I remember a guy at a GC once years ago playing a dual modeling Line 6. He said with just one amp model it was an okay amp, but when you logged in two models at once it was dead on. This guy dialed in a bunch of classic 70s blues and rock band tones. Sounded great.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

I remember a guy at a GC once years ago playing a dual modeling Line 6. He said with just one amp model it was an okay amp, but when you logged in two models at once it was dead on. This guy dialed in a bunch of classic 70s blues and rock band tones. Sounded great.

That amp you speak of was probably the line 6 vetta doing the "two amps at once" feature. I have a vetta II, great amp....though nowdays I may end up keeping my vetta II with large floorboard and getting a Fender twin reverb and Boss GT8 setup.

I simply miss having a real tube amp.

Ahhhh...so you pulled the trigger on it! ;)

Well I'm glad you really like it! :thu:

Though I would love to hear your opinion in about a month or twoafter you've had it for awhile.

Like you and I were discussing awhile ago...

I just find that for anyone who is totally into a pure tube amp sound...to date, most "modeling" amps tend to show their true face a little while after the initial "gee wiz" has worn off...and you start to notice the digital modeling going on.

Of course...if you don't much care about "all tube" (and a lot of guys dont) then it's not a problem, and besides9-out-of-10 times in any live gig situation, no one would notice anyway. It's only when you are alonejust you, the guitar and ampthat the subtle nuances are noticeable.

That's why I don't think the boutique amp marked will even blink....as most of those buyers are all looking for pure tube amps. They wont touch a modeling amp purely out of principle.but hey, everyone has they voodoo to contend with. :grin:

Heckto dateI still love the sound of my little SansAmp modelerbut these days I only use the tube amps.

*shrug*

I have to askwhy do you need to play it so loud to get a nice crunch?

Can't you dial down the Master Volume...or pick a amp model that has more crunch at lower levels?

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

hey bruce, you sure you don't want one of these?:

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/494314813.html

Hey by the way, I just saw a demo for a power attenuator by Bad Cat on Guitarplayer TV... the gadget is called The Leash, it's a good $350 and you can get it through musictoyz.com

Did you get the floorboard for the Line 6 yet?

Enjoy your new amp!

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Come on now Millo! Is that nice? :mad:

;)

:grin:

Yeah, Bruce and I have been talking a lot about the Flexi, ever since I got mine...but I'm sure the Spider Valve will keep him quite happy for awhile!

I bet that Spider Valve will make a great gig amp...especially if you need a lot of different tones to cover a wide range set list.

The Flexi is a great amp...but you are not going to just step on a button to get at all of its different flavors. You have to try different tubes,...actually turn the knobs...etc.

For a live gig...having a lot tones right there under your foot for quick changes like you can with the Spider...is a real plus! :thu:

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Ahhhh...so you pulled the trigger on it! ;)

Well I'm glad you really like it! :thu:

Though I would love to hear your opinion in about a month or twoafter you've had it for awhile.

Like you and I were discussing awhile ago...

I just find that for anyone who is totally into a pure tube amp sound...to date, most "modeling" amps tend to show their true face a little while after the initial "gee wiz" has worn off...and you start to notice the digital modeling going on.

Of course...if you don't much care about "all tube" (and a lot of guys dont) then it's not a problem, and besides9-out-of-10 times in any live gig situation, no one would notice anyway. It's only when you are alonejust you, the guitar and ampthat the subtle nuances are noticeable.

That's why I don't think the boutique amp marked will even blink....as most of those buyers are all looking for pure tube amps. They wont touch a modeling amp purely out of principle.but hey, everyone has they voodoo to contend with. :grin:

Heckto dateI still love the sound of my little SansAmp modelerbut these days I only use the tube amps.

*shrug*

I have to askwhy do you need to play it so loud to get a nice crunch?

Can't you dial down the Master Volume...or pick a amp model that has more crunch at lower levels?

It will get crunch or massive gain at any level, but to get that power tube roundness like you get from your THD you need to play it at band volume.

For example. Say you have a peavey Classic 30. You dial in the pre amp gain to 7 or 8 cuz you don't want that much fizz. You think that when you turn up the amp it will open up and get power tube compression to give you that added sustain without having to add more pre gain.. Not going to happen. From my experience with that amp it is what it is no matter how loud you play it. There is no more added power tube compression when you crank it.

This amp is far more interactive. Like you could put it on that blue crunch channel and dial in the gain at around 4 or 5 and turn the master to 10, channel volume around half way. And it does EXACTLY the same thing as any good tube amp I have played. It sings with rich sustain but without the pregain fizz that you would need for that sustain on an amp without an interactive power section. I swear I was getting feedback from it and it was barely distorted. Kind of an SRV tone.

I am pretty picky. I have made some errors before in amp purchases but I learned alot along the way about what I want and don't want from an amp. When i said I think this amp competes with my Bivalve's tone and tubeyness I was serious. It is atht good if you dial it in right.

I will say this Miro, I garantee you if you were blindfolded and you played through this amp and nobody told you it had modeling in teh front end, you would NOT be able to tell and would thnk it was a pretty darn good tube amp. It doesn't respond like a POD XT, it responds like a real tube amp and I am picky. I wouldn't say the POD XT responds or plays like a tube amp. It may sound good recorded but it doesn't play like a tube amp.

There are plenty of ways you can dial in an amp like this.

My buddy just called while I was writing this. He just bought one and loves it, and 2 of my other friends out there in Washington are buying them. He was actually on his way to bring his amp to my buddy Ken's so he can check it out. He is pretty much blown away by it too and traded in his Mesa Boogie studio amp (1/12) for it.

I bet that Spider Valve will make a great gig amp...especially if you need a lot of different tones to cover a wide range set list.

yup... it's next on my amp list....whenever that is, which could be a year or more from now!

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Archived