Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rhodes tweaking advices needed!

vihreamies

Hello Rhodes freaks and all!

I just bought another Rhodes, this time it's 54 mark II. Well It's in need of tweaking.

Before I take to the hands of pro repair man, and since I'm sort of do-it-all-yourself man, I would like to try to tweak the Rhodes by myself and hopefully not break it but learn from it. And who knows, maybe I wont have to take it anywhere than for a gig :)

Problems:

1. the lower keys damping are not working well, when playing hard and when the key is released it gives another wave of sound. I get rid of this quite well by adjusting the tine lower, but the next problem appears:

2. some of the lower keys seems to strike several times when hitting a key. I assume this is beacuse the hammer is too close to the tine, so the resonation of the tine hits to the hammertip. ???

Questions:

1. What can I do for the dampers?

2. When adjusting the tine position in relation of the mic, does it matter is the tine above or below the mic's tip? I mean that, sometimes the damping won't work if the tine is above, and I got the same timbre (ideal) moving the tine below the tip.

I would like to play rock'n roll kind of sound with this rhodes: punchy sound. What kind of timbre/mic distance adjustment do you prefer for playing that kind of stuff?

-vm

p.s. I found some tips here: http://www.fenderrhodes.org/rhodes/manual/toc.html

but want to hear your advices too on these matters

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived