Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help me ID these strings please...

Gruuve

Hey folks:

Trying to figure what strings are on my new/used Warwick Thumb. The strings 34" scale, have red fabric at both ends, gold balls on the bottom end, they are stainless steel if I'm not mistaken, and have a fairly abrasive texture to them. Here are the gauges:

B - 0.125

E - 0.100

A - 0.080

D - 0.065

G - 0.050

My first thought was Rotosound Swingbass, but I don't see these gauges pre-packaged into a 5-string set (could be a custom one-by-one set though). They are bright, growly in the lower and upper mids (or is that just the bass? :cool:), and have a piano-like vibe to them (and sound great on this bass, IMO!)

Any idear what strings these might be?

TIA!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm...I think I might still have a set of slightly used Roto's upstairs...let me check/compare. These do have a rough texture...they are grey in color, not at all shiney (I was thinking the Roto's were shiney, but I may have a flawed memory).

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Good question...I really like whatever these are on this bass, but not necessarily the others. I generally *try* to match up bass + strings, so that doesn't always end up with the same strings on all my basses.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Sounds a little like it might be a custom set. Especially with that heavy G string. The red silks and the gauges make me think that it might it might be a 5 string set of GHS bass boomers in their medium light gauge, but again with a substituted G.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Sounds a little like it might be a custom set. Especially with that heavy G string. The red silks and the gauges make me think that it might it might be a 5 string set of GHS bass boomers in their medium light gauge, but again with a substituted G.

I was thinking GHS Boomers as well... especially with the grayish color Dave described.

Archived