Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

000----WHICH SYNTH??----000

J0nathan

Hey boys. I'm seriously considering buying an Alesis Micron (8 note polyphony, 3 OSC, etc) but I love the battery option of the microkorg and the fact that it has some type of editor available for mac. Although what I gather from Sound on Sound is that you don't even really need an external editor for the Micron.

I need to be able to create nasty leads, nice sharp stabs (much like those based on the supersaw waveform from Roland), and really nice pads..And I've heard the microkorg isn't too great for pads what with it's 4 note (single) and 2 note (double) polyphony...

I need stuff like Royksopp (who uses a microkorg among other things), Jazztronik (who owns an extreme, like my self) and Armin Van Buuren among others..

Any thoughts?

The reviews for each can be found here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan05/articles/alesismicron.htm

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jan03/articles/microkorg.asp

Thanks..

"You have seen as to do, dude, isn't it?" -Korg PA80 manual

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actual sounds can be found here.

http://www.synthmania.com/micron.htm

http://www.synthmania.com/microkorg.htm

It's hard to do the supersaw sounds on an Ion (I've got one) and therefore, Micron - somehow it just doesn't hit that sweet spot the JP does.

Have you also considered a Virus B? So yeah, it's a rack module but it nails the nasty and oozes polyphony.

Although what I gather from Sound on Sound is that you don't even really need an external editor for the Micron.

....but many users complain it really needs one anyway.

So how good are you at programming? If you know your way around subtractive analog processes pretty well, you can figure out a Micron with some work. Otherwise you will probably be resigned to just playing the presets with perhaps some rudimentary editing.

There are so many VA's out there.... impossible to pick just one as the best fit. If you want "rude" and "supersaw" in the same box and want to stay cheap, I'd suggest picking up a used SH-201, which sell in about that price range... $350 or so. They are extremely easy to figure out and more versatile than you might expect. But what I'd recommend is spending a little more (but still way under $1000) and getting a Virus (Kb or Kc if you need a keyboard), or V-Synth. Something solid and professional.

Jonathan:

Sh201 or ION? It depends on what you want to hear and how much programming you want to do. The SH201 is kinda a beginner's synth. Limited amount of front panel controls, but it is a subtractive synth and is programmable, just not to the extent the ION is, which is a very deep synth. The Ion has loads of pots and switches, a lot of modulation options, on and on. You can get some decent sounds out of the SH201, its straight forward, and not difficult to learn how to use. But again, its more limited than the ION. You "MIGHT" outgrow it at some point.

What is important is the sound. The Sh201 sounds different than the ION. Go for what you like best.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Preferred budget: $399. If I did spend $599, would you choose the SH-201 or the ION? I LOOOVE the 201, but there are legends about the Ion...

If you are spending $599, save another $100 and buy the Korg R3. I bought it over both those choices and haven't been disappointed.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Preferred budget: $399. If I did spend $599, would you choose the SH-201 or the ION? I LOOOVE the 201, but there are legends about the Ion...

You answered your own question here. The only opinion that matters is yours. If you really like the SH-201, then you know what your getting and you already love it. Generally the legends are blown out of proportion with most things. I have some insights about the Ion through others and generally it comes down to preferences. Both boards are capable and ultimately it comes down to your desire and ability.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

You won't have to spend $599 on a new SH-201. In the last few months guys have reported been scoring them for under $500. If I were to get one I'd get one off craigslist or eBay though. They're not that old ... barely a year. And around $350.

The sound choice is yours. If you want nasty leads (courtesy of overdrive) and supersaw (available on both oscillators) there it is on the SH-201 though.

So I went and got a brand new microkorg this morning..WITH logic express 8.. for 504 dollars (THANKS 8.5% TAX RATE!!!!!!!).

The microkorg was only 264! That's 329 on sale minus the 20%.

Bastard tax rate... and our property is going up too.. so I have no idea why our tax rate is higher than HAWAII....

:D

"You have seen as to do, dude, isn't it?" -Korg PA80 manual

Archived