Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

angus young sig SG

comrade.1

i bought an sg 4 about $1050 and it seemed cheaply made it

sounded ok but not great, are more expensive sgs better sounding,better pickups?better wood?

has anyone played the angus young sg? is it worth 2500?

so many questions thnx in advance 4 your answers

cheers comrade.1

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Umm, it sounds like you rushed into this and shelling out 1G for a guitar you're not crazy about is something you'll regret.

To answer your other questions, higher-end Gibsons are definitely better, that is why they cost more. The Angus SG is probably a quality guitar, personally I've never tried one. However, before you even think about buying another one, try and find something you like about your new guitar. Don't sell it because you didn't take the time to find your tone, etc.

And just for reference, could you show us which guitar you bought?

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

If it just sounded ok, seemed cheaply made, etc. why did you buy it?

Excuse my ignorance, but what is an SG 4?

I think the 4 is short for "for"! :idea:

LOL...I believe you are right, my dear Bluesape!! LOL

My son has a faded SG....I think that's the cheapest Gibby SG, isn't it??

I think it's a great guitar. Not a thing cheap about it. It totally rocks. Well finished, set up nicely, great "SG" tone.

I NO WATT IT'S 4 :laugh:;):cool:

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

hi thnx for replies

sg4 ibought it "for" 1050 im not stuck with it i returned it and have credit considering buyin a more expnsive one but would like to hear about the more expensive models (im a bass player) new to guitar so im kinda clueless about these things

4 instance is the $1700 sg with pickup covers 700 more for the fancy hardware shiny pickup covers or are there better pickups in there?

4 reference it was the faded(worn)

finish red with no pickup covers

thnx comrade.1

you can tell I don't do text messaging. LOL

I knew the Epiphone model is the 400 so I was just curious as to whether he/she/it was really taken for a ride OR if it was some fake import Gibby.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

hi thnx for replies

sg4 ibought it "for" 1050 im not stuck with it i returned it and have credit considering buyin a more expnsive one but would like to hear about the more expensive models (im a bass player) new to guitar so im kinda clueless about these things

4 instance is the $1700 sg with pickup covers 700 more for the fancy hardware shiny pickup covers or are there better pickups in there?

4 reference it was the faded(worn)

finish red with no pickup covers

thnx comrade.1

um, How much do you know about guitars, do you feel? I would assume that the Angus Young SG would actually sound pretty good... Pardon my lack of confidence but perhaps you're not quite sure how to judge a guitar's quality? A $1,700 SG would probably sound better, but I don't think a $1,000 SG would sound bad. Given your apparent lack of guitar knowledge, do you really think you need to buy something more expensive to satisfy your tastes, when you're not even aware of the difference in pickups? Is it really your ears noticing a difference at this point?

From what you described in your second post, I don't think it was the Angus Signature SG that you bought. Sounds like you bought the Faded SG Special. And if that is the model you bought, you paid about $500 too much...

The Angus Young Sig SG is one of those really expensive guitars (just over $2K) with the pickup covers. It also has a tremolo fixture (hard to miss) on the tail. It's loaded with a '57 Classic humbucking pickup in the neck position, which is probably the most preferred Gibson pickup. And an Angus Sig humbucker in the bridge (another great pickup but with slightly less warmth in my opinion). You can see it in Zephyr's avatar.

Now, it sounds to me like you've got $1000 to blow at the guitar store (drool). That gives you a LOT of freedom. If you really don't know much about guitars, I would go and take a day off to play every guitar you can find under a thousand and buy the one that feels/plays/sounds the best to you(this might just be the GAS talking :)). Don't even consider the price. There are many guitars for less than $1K that are just awesome.

I think thats all I have to say.

Good luck! And welcome to the forum!

Hooray for the Moon

right now i play a cheap mexican strat to see if i liked playing

guitar like when i started bass 20 years ago now that i like it i want to get something nice like my musicman and it will be used 4 life so i juust want opinions if $2100 is justified

or is it hype thats all

Well I guess the first step in choosing a guitar is identifying what type of music you will be using it for. From there you can decide if you want to go with single coil or humbucking pups. Neck style, wood types etc. I would really stress not making price one of the variables. But I guess that if you only want one guitar for the rest of your life, spending more is justified.

So, what kind of music to you play? And do you gig often/at all or just play for your own enjoyment?

Hooray for the Moon

Well it looks like you're on the right track with your searching. I would recommend something with humbuckers. If you had said country or something of the like I would have said go with single coil pickups. Humbuckers will give you a fuller, meatier tone than single coils. A single coil gives a thinner more bell-like tone as well as more twang.

With that in mind, as well as the fact that you want one guitar for the rest of your life, the first thing that comes to mind is a Gibson Les Paul. Probably the most universally recognized guitar. It probably isn't much more versatile than the SG but it is certainly more versatile looking. The SG has always been associated with Rock 'n' Roll and not much else. Where as the LP is used by many jazz artists and all around the board.

The reason I'm kind of sticking with Gibsons here is because IMO they have better posterity than other companies and that might be an issue for you having only one guitar. But If is not an issue I can show you some other stuff.

I also want to recommend the Gibson ES-335. It's a semi-hollow bodied guitar. Just a different option. Quite a bit more expensive but it might be worth it.

Keep going and playing guitars seeing what you like and don't like.

Hooray for the Moon

IMO, any guitar over $1000 better have a damn good reason for buying it. It is not to say that a $1700 or $2100 guitar is not worth it, but every guitar I own cost well below a grand and I've had more compliments on my Tele, my acoustic, and my Epi than most people who own $1500 Strats.

I have played some very expensive guitars that are just amazing ('59 LP Reissue Custom Shop) and I believe they're worth every penny. But personally, I'm not enough of a tone snob to really worry about whether or not something has certain specifications or not. What sounds good to me is what I like, and so far, that strategy has been highly successful.

Another important thing to remember, especially in the 500-1000 dollar price range: you can find some real beauties and some real duds. And they may even be the same guitar down to the color. But because with many companies build quality varies so much, it is important to try more than one guitar in that model. I will say the more consistent companies that I've noticed in that price range are Fender Japan and Schecter. Never has either introduced a dud, and while some have been superior, the build quality is amazing. Overseas production? If that's the result, I'm all for it.

Shut up and play.

Don't be afraid to try out some used guitars, too... and, for that matter, TRY guitars, don't limit yourself to ordering from the 'net and catalogs...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived