Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Off to the windy city for T-day

Big Red 67

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I will start off the day volunteering for the Equinox Thanksgiving Dinner as a driver. Thousands of people show up in Albany, NY to volunteer for this dinner -- it is awesome to see the people, especially young ones volunteering. I'll be there at 7:00 a.m. with a cooler, a cart, my folding chair and a cup of tea. It kinds of looks like I am camping out there, but they give each recipient such a great amount of food that it takes a cooler and a cart to hold it all.

About 3:30, there will be twelve of us gathered together. This includes four active children, ages 10, 9, 4 and 2. They will probably end up having a gigantic pillow fight, and I will probably join them. Maybe I'll get out the guitar and play, who knows.

As for Black Friday, I shop online only. I then plan on going to hear some live acoustic music at a local hangout. It's a combination of architectural salvage, craft fair and farmers market that has acoustic music every weekend. The man who started it used to be in a blues band, which probably explains the live music.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving and that wherever they travel that they arrive home safely.

Michelle

My new baby is a 2002 Collectors by Ovation

I think this is a cool song title -- "Can't Remember to Forget"

Have a great time in Chicago, Red.

We're just staying home this Thanksgiving - the wife, the two boys and me. We'll be headin' out to Atlanta sometime during the Christmas holidays to visit family. However, we will be doing the turkey and etc., along with many pies this coming Thursday. :)

John

Have a great time in Chicago, Red.

We're just staying home this Thanksgiving - the wife, the two boys and me. We'll be headin' out to Atlanta sometime during the Christmas holidays to visit family. However, we will be doing the turkey and etc., along with many pies this coming Thursday. :)

Jbote, I have been to Atlanta (was there this October). Great city! I hope you and your family have a great time during the holidays!

Michelle

Hey Red....have a good one in Chi town.

We're staying put. My oldest is already home (from college), and my middle son will be here late Wed. evening (from college and rockstardom :laugh: ). The in-laws will be up for the feast Thursday. I'm lobbying for "Old Bay" seasoned turkey!!! I suspect I'll not win out in my campaign.

Friday, I head to the eastern shore of Maryland for Saturday's opening day of the shotgun/deer season.

It's back home Sat. night, and the fist day of the hunting season at home starts Monday. I'll be hunting with my youngest son. The other two will be back at their respective schools.

A GREAT AND WONDERFUL AND HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!! :thu:

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Oops! Not much of anything. We will be truckin' the hour and a half up to my inlaws home in Western Kentucky for Thanksgiving.

And, lo and behold, it looks like Denise has Friday off, but we can't afford the trip now.

Thanks for asking, Michelle! Have a great Thanksgiving everybody! (I figure I should say so now since many of you won't be posting much the next few days. ;) )

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Red, hope you have a good time in town. I'd offer to get together, but I'll be working. I'm losing all Thanksgiving day/weekend and New Years this year and every major holiday next year. Ah, the joys of a huge multi-year IT project!

Paul

Oops! Not much of anything. We will be truckin' the hour and a half up to my inlaws home in Western Kentucky for Thanksgiving.

And, lo and behold, it looks like Denise has Friday off, but we can't afford the trip now.

Thanks for asking, Michelle! Have a great Thanksgiving everybody! (I figure I should say so now since many of you won't be posting much the next few days. ;) )

Neil,

What, no roasting Takamines over an open fire? Oh wait, that's the Christmas song!

It sounds like you will have an eventful Thanksgiving if you are driving a total of three hours that day.

I've never been to Kentucky, but I bet it's pretty there.

Michelle

:D

Three hours in two stretches isn't much of a drive, IMO. ;) I'll never vie for "long haul driver of the year" but on more than one occasion we've spent the day with my wife's relatives in southern Indiana and returned home the same day. That's 6 - 7 hours total drive for a day trip. We recently took my daughter and a friend to Rock City outside Chattanooga, TN for the day. That was 4+ hours round trip and we had to contend with a time change. We were back in Nashville a little after 5pm. ;)

Oddly enough, this isn't a particularly pretty part of Western Kentucky, but it's near plenty of wonderful places. About half way up we approach Land Between The Lakes State Park, a wonderful park featuring a recreated, 1860's farm, nature area and an elk & bison prairie.

Driving due north, as we do to visit Chicago on I-65 we see more beautiful scenery near Cave City, Kentucky Down Under and Mammoth Cave. That's also about an hour and a half drive from home. I've never really been further east in Kentucky though.

There are lots of interesting places to visit in Kentucky and Tennessee that are relatively far, but still accessible for day trips from Nashville. :thu:

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

:D

Three hours in two stretches isn't much of a drive, IMO. ;) I'll never vie for "long haul driver of the year" but on more than one occasion we've spent the day with my wife's relatives in southern Indiana and returned home the same day. That's 6 - 7 hours total drive for a day trip. We recently took my daughter and a friend to Rock City outside Chattanooga, TN for the day. That was 4+ hours round trip and we had to contend with a time change. We were back in Nashville a little after 5pm. ;)

Oddly enough, this isn't a particularly pretty part of Western Kentucky, but it's near plenty of wonderful places. About half way up we approach Land Between The Lakes State Park, a wonderful park featuring a recreated, 1860's farm, nature area and an elk & bison prairie.

Driving due north, as we do to visit Chicago on I-65 we see more beautiful scenery near Cave City, Kentucky Down Under and Mammoth Cave. That's also about an hour and a half drive from home. I've never really been further east in Kentucky though.

There are lots of interesting places to visit in Kentucky and Tennessee that are relatively far, but still accessible for day trips from Nashville. :thu:

Neil,

Speaking of your daughter, aren't you the one that has a daughter that lives near Pete Huttlinger? That would be so cool if you could meet him.

Michelle

Uh... not quite! :D

My daughter is 8 years old. She lives with me. We live relatively close to Pete, but it's her school that's really close to where he lives assuming his studio is either near or on the grounds of his home. (A pretty good assumption for such a studio in Nashville. ;) )

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Uh... not quite! :D

My daughter is 8 years old. She lives with me. We live relatively close to Pete, but it's her school that's really close to where he lives assuming his studio is either near or on the grounds of his home. (A pretty good assumption for such a studio in Nashville. ;) )

Well, I was close but no cigar! When I went to his website, I got the impression that his studio was in his home. Anyway, I'm thinking about getting his CD.

Michelle

Same here... Plus many of the great fingerpickers featured in Fingerstyle live in the Nashville area, including Pete Huttlinger, my friend Roger Hudson, and Thom Bresh.

It would probably be nice if your friends could get together with Pete. Maybe they could call themselves "The Nashville Cats" ;)

Michelle

Been done. ;)

Anyway... I don't know if you've been around long enough to see my own Nashville Cat who died last January at 13 (almost 14) years old. He's been my avatar several times over the past 6 years...

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/6122/domanimatedsquareas0.gif

RIP Domino...

BTW - That's my Samson mini LP copy he's playing.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Hey, Michelle... bump for you to see my Nashville Cat... Happy Turkey Day!

Love your Nashville Cat! My friend's cat looks something like yours.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too! Thanks to you, I have the song Domino by Van Morrison in my head (at least I think that is the song title).

Michelle

Archived