Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Player Question #2

02R96

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The original Marshall amps had a different schematic than American made tube amps such as Fender. The UK made Celestion speakers made a difference as well.

Contrast with later amps like the Mesa-Boogie and then modded UK stuff, like the Van Halen's modified Marshalls.

Like everyone said, I think Fenders are usually thought of as having a "scooped-mid tone", which I find pleasant when played clean. Marshall and Vox amps I guess are thought of as being midrange heavy, possibly less bottom end (?). So I guess "British" sounds means Led Zep possibly as in "Since I've Been Loving You", AC/DC as in Back in Black, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, etc, and nearly any big act in rock music I guess... first 4, 5 or 6 Van Halen albums? take the 80's... most those hard rock guys were playing Marshalls JCM800's even w/ all those racks... Soldanos and Bogners I think are basically based on hot-rodded, modified versions of those as well as Plexis.

I guess 'British' is most often associated w/ crunchy, yet defined distortion w/ plenty of mids and some sizzle. ....or sometimes w/ chimey maybe nasal cleans as in the Beatles.

...and this might help your escape: I think you might have a chance if you look for a crack in the back. Just kidding! :thu: Welcome to the forum! :wave: Need to go to bed... Good night. I believe Ta-Ta is the British way!

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Yeah man, what kind of music are you going to be playing on it and where are you planning on using it? Home practice? Jamming with friends? Large gigs? Small gigs? I've heard real good things about them but they don't have a lot of clean headroom so if that's something you care about then you might want to look somewhere else.
Then you'll never hear surf music again...

I'll be using it for home practice/jamming. I'm a new player so I don't have a "sound" (other than screechy)! But it's got to sound better than the crappy little amp I have now. Being the old school guy that I am, I do know I want a tube amp...

Dan

"I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am..."

Yeah, then why not. Should suit your purposes pretty well. And if you expand a little as long as you don't want it sparkly clean it should be good for jamming with people and even small gigs as well. I've heard real good things about the TT's but you also might want to try going to a store and playing through one before buying it just to see if you really like the feel and sound. Oh and do you have a good cab to run it into?
Then you'll never hear surf music again...

Archived