Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Was the Van Halen train wreck a hoax?

VeloDoug

What happened?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What happened?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The stories I've read claim that he was really rough on his guitar in the previous song and had knocked it out of tune.

As for a hoax, it's hard to say. It certainly wasn't taken with professional camera (a camera phone maybe?). I'm trying to think of how you could remove all traces of the original guitar line, from a mono track, so the new track could be inserted.

What are the chances that it is from a live recording, taken from a CD? Then they could have removed the guitar, added their own out of tune version and mixed it to sound airy and unprofessional. Does anyone have any live recordings of this song that they could compare this one to?

Thing I don't get, is that Eddie could tune his guitar on the fly no worries. Unless he couldn't hear himself through the monitors??

Not neccesarily... The original link claimed the sync'd synth track was playing at the wrong sample rate, resulting in pitch shift to a note microtonally between any in the Western chromatic scale. Eddie would have had to retune the entire guitar on the fly... not likely with a Floyd Rose. For that matter, his tech couldn't help him either as every other guitar in the arsenal would've been similarly hobbled from playing along with the synth track.

The only way I can think of they could've addressed this issue would've been to kill the synth track and play through or stop the song and start over, either of which would've been better than what appears to have happened on the video. Has there been any outside confirmation this really happened? Thousands of fans would've been talking about it and local, if not national news would've picked up the story from their concert reviewer, if not fan accounts.

Without a story in the news I don't buy that this ever happened.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Where did this concert fit on the tour calendar? There are several clips on YouTube from the same show, and they all sound terrible. I've also seen review of other shows where sound system was specifically criticized as being both overloud and muddy.

I've seen shows (from both sides of the mic ;) ) where you can't hear anything accurately enough to determine what's in tune and what isn't. Not to mention what is or isn't in the monitor mix; he may prefer to have only a little guitar in the monitor and rely on the amp rig for stage volume. In that type of scenario, between the monitors, amps, and natural foldback echo from the house system, it's a miracle things like that don't happen at every show.

Even if Eddie could have tuned on the fly, if he can't hear the monitors, what he is he supposed to reference?

Well I have no sympathy if the sound system sucked. There's no excuse for that at an "A" list performer's own concert. The systems are too good and the mixers should be on that level as well.

Unfortunately, there are hacks who get high line gigs or management who push volume over quality sound.

If he couldn't hear his monitors he sure didn't act like it.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Trying to reply here without sounding like a condescending complete arsehole....

Simply check the pitch of the synths in the video. It's right there between EVH's original "I can only play the white keys" key of C and C#. It's playback is sped up/out of tune.

That puts to bed any mistaken "guitar out of tune" ideas.

And the hoax theory is incredibly ludicrous IMO for a few reasons, one being that it's so plain to see in the video EVH's WTF? reaction when he enters in a conflicting tuning against the sped up synth track, and checks his own tuning.

Hmmm....afraid I may not have acheived my non-codescend/A-hole goal. :laugh:

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

How about another selection on the poll:

____ Does it really even matter?

There are countless stories of countless musicians and bands flubbing it live. I saw Van Halen in the 70's, 80' and 90's. Their live sound was never great. To me, their shows are more about the energy generated rather than perfect technical execution or pristine sound. My gosh, just look at the US Festival videos. It's only rock and roll, man!

Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

Sometimes it's not easy to discern pitch in extremely loud music, especially if your ears are fatigued. However, I'm guessing the assumptions of the poster are correct b/c of what Bejeeber pointed out--it really LOOKS and SOUNDS like a trainwreck.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

• 1 month later...
As you may have seen in the "Van Halen Oakland, CA 12/22/07" thread my brother started, I asked Chris Morrison (Eddie & Wolfgang's guitar tech) what happened. He told us that Eddie was simply handed a guitar that was out of tune. No one was fired and no one was injured in the listening of the song. ;-) Mystery solved.

MUSCLE:91 Mesa Mk4(rack mounted)|Mesa F30|Mesa Nomad45|'78 Marshall 4x12

HEART:07 Gibson LP Std 50s Neck|86 Jackson Soloist|92 PRS Custom 24|01 PRS Singlecut|Taylor 814ce|MIM Strat

Gotta say, I'm with Bejeeber and Hound Dog on this one, in that it probably did happen (the "WTF??!!" reaction from EVH, the pitch of the sequenced track), and that it really doesn't mater or mean much. Coulda happened to anyone, and I mean ANYONE- only difference mightta been how it was handled.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Sure, it could have (and does) happened to anyone. The difference is the YouTube video!! Oh, and because it was Eddie, and not, say, me!!! If it were me, truely no one would care!!! LOL

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Sure, it could have (and does) happened to anyone. The difference is the YouTube video!! Oh, and because it was Eddie, and not, say, me!!! If it were me, truely no one would care!!! LOL

If I was there, I would care Don. :)

As for the YouTube clips, all I know is they hurt my ears!

Peace

From my observations Eddie, Dave and I all agreed... That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah and so perhaps that influenced the show because it was as smooth and sharp as a razor blade.

The Toronto shows were early on in the run and minds get punchy as tours wind on.

I agree with everyone on this. It doesn't matter but could not likely have been faked and perhaps sucked if you were there and they are getting older (like me) and shit happens but when you're tuned into the grand experience you let lots of small stuff slide.... will somebody bury the cat.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Archived