Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

annoying browser banners

Has anyone been getting annoying browser bar banners from web 3000? It doesnt matter which browser I use Net or Ex they are still there they scroll on top off your browser bar. What is it? It make my whole internet experience a true pain how do I get rid of them?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Tedster: [b]THe banner ads don't bother me too much...the thing that really pisses me off is the increased use of pop up windows. Seems you can't go on ANY site anymore without being assaulted by these.[/b][/quote] I don't even watch Pop Up Video anymore Of course I don't watch it any less, I guess I just never watch it...
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

[quote]Originally posted by Tedster: [b]THe banner ads don't bother me too much...the thing that really pisses me off is the increased use of pop up windows. Seems you can't go on ANY site anymore without being assaulted by these.[/b][/quote] Tell me about it! You might recall I posted a thread on this very forum awhile back about that very subject. At least they don't have popups on THIS site (thankyou thankyou thankyou!!!), BUT... at the suggestion of somebody on these forums, I went to http://www.panicware.com and downloaded a program called Popup Stopper, and damn if it doesn't work great. No more popups! I hope advertisers get the message that people REALLY, REALLY hate these things and will go back to using "traditional" banner ads. The only thing about Popup Stopper is it only works on Windows machines, but I'm sure something similar can be found on ZNet or Tucows for the Mac. As for the "browser banners" mentioned, that sounds different from a regular banner OR a popup. Have you discovered some even newer and MORE annoying method of web advertising? Please tell us more! --Lee [ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: Lee Flier ]

Lee see where it says Expert Forums from Gig, Bass Player etc... then Microsoft Internet Explorer in blue at the top of your browser and you have 3 buttons to max minimise your browser windows? Jus to the right of these buttons is where I get these lil scrolling advertising buggers that advertise stuff like attract anyone with pharamones etc... Then at the bottom right where it says internet there is one that jus sits there and you can click on them both and they will take you to someplace that says Webb 3000 etc etc. Its only on my computer at the office no one elses computer in the office has this. I have a friend who has it on her computer across town know one else i know has it Sucks up bandwith and locks up my browser all the time it doesnt matter Netscape or Explorer they are still there Im thinking its something that was downloaded and it runs in the background I jus cant find it and my firewall can't catch it virus protection doesnt find anything either, my friend and I are stumped...

Sweet! Thanks for that link, Lee.. :) I *think* I sort of know what you guys are talking about re: the scrolling ad things. 6 months I had a similar problem, and after hunting through the computer I found a program called "savenow" in various directories and browser plug-in listings. There was no "readme" file so I did a quick search, and sure enough it was some dicreet little program that monitored the sites the browsers would access and throw ads at you accordingly. I uninstalled the program with the "add/remove programs" dealio in the control panel, deleted them from the browser plug-ins lists, and sure enough the ads went away. Maybe these scrolling ad things you're talking about work the same way? Just a thought, hope it helps.. :) Peace, Harold
meh

I see alot of PCs in my business. Most of these banner-bots come in with stupid little programs like, Real Audio's Player (comet cusor), several screen modifiers (background changers like "WebShots") and advertizing engines like "Gator". However they get on, you can find out what's communicating on your PC with "ZoneAlarm", [url=http://www.zonealarm.com]Zona Alarm Page[/url] . If you are in an office, be sure to set your IP address range for you network in the "Security" section. Every program that tries to communicate out of your computer will need to request access through a pop up dialog. Likewise, incoming attempts will get denied, unless you allow it. Good luck on killing that annoying application!

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

Archived