Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Music as a mood-altering drug

With all the discussions regarding the impact of music in the lives of the folks here, I thought I'd do a little soul-baring and admit that in lieu of taking drugs of the chemical variety when I was young, I used to DEEPLY emotionally feedback on music. Of course this also meant that I had strong emotional markers associated with certain music. At different times, music could be theraputic, other times it was a reflection of my downwardly spiraling emotions. Examples would include... Energy: Baba O'Riley (the Who) Rodeo (ELP) Slip Kid (the Who) Contemplative: Lucky Man, Take a Pebble (ELP) Landslide (Fleetwood Mac) Close to the Edge, Tales From Topographical Oceans (Yes) Who Came First (Pete Townshend) Anger/Pumped up: Won't Get Fooled Again (the Who) Bummed/Devastated: Quadrophenia (the Who) Song Is Over (the Who) Lux Aeterna, Gayane Ballet Suite (from the 2001 soundtrack) Wooden Ships (CSN) Certain sad/slow songs from The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get and So What (Joe Walsh) Lonely/Searching: Old Man (Neil Young) Anything sung by Stevie Nicks Portrait, Souvenirs (Dan Fogelburg)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, I admit, I was really hooked on the Who. "Who's Next" was one of the first four or five real "Rock and Roll" albums I ever bought, and still one of my favorites. Even though I wasn't attracted to Pete Townshend's violence, drugs, and sexual exploits, or his devotion to Meher Baba, there was something about his music that I could really relate to. At the time, I considered "Who Came First" as one of most purely captured set of emotions I had ever heard in a recording. These days, there is still music that moves me, but now I'm not dependent on that rush or that need to experience life by proxy. Music I listen to now tends more to reflect my moods than create or amplify them. Music that moves me now: Seal I and parts of Seal II (Trevor Horn!) 90's Sting, especially Soul Cages and "When We Dance" Appalachian Spring (and most Copland) Some Alison Krause and Lyle Lovett Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays (solo and group) Steve Perry and Journey ballads The late, great Michael Hedges Some Michael Manring, when he's most Jaco-like Several cuts from the Windham Hill 25th Anniversary Guitar Sampler (especially Snuffy Walden's "Who Lives Here") Some Eric Johnson Most Peter Gabriel (yes, especially So) [ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: ConceptDigital ]

Archived