Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Songwriting

BillWelcome Home Studios

YEAH! Hay I know what you mean! Totally complex lyrics, deep deep meaning, obviously superior IQ in his lyrics..here's one excellent example of his writing power, a personal favorite of mine and I'm sure yours LINK: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/tool/hush.html

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/kboruff/rolling.gif

Well, what precisely is WRONG with saying "F*ck the lot of you!" in a song?

Surely the sentiment enters the average mind at least once in a lifetime, so IMO it's a valid enough sentiment to express. It's a significant part of the human experience, just as much as the usual "Baby, it'll be all right, we can make it all night" mush. And it's a sentiment which, I would guess, is a lot more frequent than telling some woman that you'll make it all night long. For starters, you don't even need a woman to say it to. ;)

And top marks for not pussyfooting around or mincing words! :D Whether subtler shades of imagery could have been found is a pretty moot point, simply because when one feels that way, one doesn't look around for subtle shades of meaning or witty turn-arounds on a cliched phrase.

You guys might not like the song or the lyrics (and I myself have never heard either Tool or the song and I'm in no rush to do either) but I can't see what's wrong with it, per se.

Is it radio friendy? No. But then, so many commonplace emotions (hatred, lust, anger, depression, etc) are not "radio friendly" either.

Your right Vince, it's a master piece.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...I am interested in finding a very basic, beginner level book on song structure (verse, chorus, hooks, etc.). Basically, I'm looking for a "Cliff Notes" level book about building a song.

Any suggestions?

What do you mean... ike AABA or ABAB etc chorus/verse construction?

My own approach is generally not confined to any starting point... I might have a musical hook, I might have a lyrical idea.... but in either case, in order to make the song work for me, I have to have a driver... something to write about. If I have something that needs to be said, I say it, and how the story needs to be told determines the structure for me. I don't have cookie cutter solutions, because I find that they get stale very quickly.

Bill

Ah, well, yes Bill. That is EXACTLY what I was requesting. A simple cookie cutter course on simple song construction. Since I've never seriously approached writing a song, I guess it's not stale for me yet.

:/

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Ah, well, yes Bill. That is EXACTLY what I was requesting. A simple cookie cutter course on simple song construction. Since I've never seriously approached writing a song, I guess it's not stale for me yet.

:/

The Pattison book that I recommended.... I don't have the name in front of me, but it is the general songwriting book, not the 12 or 14 book set... explains that pretty well, and also explains other stuff about song layout, from a why and how perspective. (Besides helping you to get into your own voice and how to write things that matter to you.)

You can also study the masters in the genere in which you are interested. How do they lay out their songs?

But it all comes down to having something to say, either musically or with words. If you have that, the rest should come easy. You are a reasonably well educated fella with a command of the language, you know when you have gotten your point across and when you haven't. Some of the most interesting songs do not follow typical construction patterns, though most popular songs do.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Ahhh... there it is: "Writing Better Lyrics" purple cover.

I've not gone here, but it might be a place to check out:

http://www.ultimatesongwriting.com/

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

I'm not saying it's a masterpiece, just that the lyrics suit the emotion behind the song. As it is, extreme anger and frustration are rather limited emotions (hey, if you could see a way out, it wouldn't be frustration), so it's a lyrically limited song.

Like I said, I've never heard the song, nor am I in a rush to do so, but I can't condemn it out of hand lyrically either.

I have thought about getting Masterwriter...it is a fairly hefty price at$290...... but that price would be nothing if it helped write a song that got on the charts, even if it only came in in the bottom of the Top 100 Adult Obscure Schmaltz charts.

LOL......If you hit the charts, I would request an autographed copy of the CD, if you don't mind??? :)

What is Masterwriter?? Dish, brother.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

I tried an early version of it, and I see value as a PIM for song tracking stuff. but not much value as a tool to help you write better songs. Maybe I didn't look deep enough.

Steve Martin

I have thought about getting Masterwriter...it is a fairly hefty price at$290...... but that price would be nothing if it helped write a song that got on the charts, even if it only came in in the bottom of the Top 100 Adult Obscure Schmaltz charts.

LOL......If you hit the charts, I would request an autographed copy of the CD, if you don't mind??? :)

What is Masterwriter?? Dish, brother.

Found it......nevermind!!

Don

Yep. Ranks right up there with...

"And this bird you cannot change

Ohhhh no, and this bird you cannot change

Lord help me, I can't change

Ohhhh I can't change

Won't you fly high free bird, yeah"

Can I change the bird, Ronnie? I wasn't sure... :D

How many of you write lyrics without having any idea of what the instrumental parts will end up being. Other than a very weak idea of the meter or general style.

I`ve done that-it`s a matter of having something to say in words, before the music. No better or worse than any other approach.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

When I write lyrics, I am always conscious of the number of syllables just as much as the rhymes.. of course, both are flexible!

But if the underlying melody is going to repeat for the melody and the chorus (like most pop music does) you have to have some idea how it's going to be fit the melody.

Of course, it's possible to write both lyrics that don't rhyme and melodies that don't repeat, if you want to. The average listener may not want to hear it, though!

How many of you write lyrics without having any idea of what the instrumental parts will end up being. Other than a very weak idea of the meter or general style.

Sometimes I'll come up with a hook or song title first. Then I may flesh it out a bit with an outline or roadmap. When I fill in the actual lyrics they usually suggest the melody, both rhythm and pitch. From there it's fairly easy to add an arrangement.

Going the other way 'round I find not as organic. Starting from a musical hook or chord progression can lock in the structure of the song, and may cause the lyrics to be force fit. [At least for me, since I'm loathe to change the music once I like it.]

I've got one song started that is kind of developing the music and lyrics simultaneously. I came up with a riff that suggested a one line of lyrics, and that in turn generated the overall idea for the song. I just haven't had time to finish putting it together so it sits there, incomplete.

As far as style, I've taken a set of complete lyrics and fit it to a melody and arrangment in one style (a 3/4 ballad), then came back and decided to change everything but the words into a country tune. New melody, new chords, and in the standard 4/4. It's more effective this way and more fun to perform. I was thinking about taking it to the NSAI-Detroit meeting tonight, but I haven't had time to practice it lately.

(It's hard to find time for songwriting when you've been spending your time working on a set list of covers.)

Giving all this some more thought (and not sure if someone already mentioned this)...

Maybe we are focusing too much on just the style/quality of the lyrics?

If we view lyrics as just words or as a form of poetry...then they might not appear to be too interesting.

But lyrics are directly tied to the music...and just reading lyrics on a page without hearing them sung with the music...is very much out of context.

The lyrics go hand in hand with the music...and you can have very beautiful, complex, poetic lyrics...but if they don't really fit the music (or if the music doesnt fit them), or if they are "sung" in a very monotone, un-melodic style...

...then the beauty of the lyrics is kinda' lost...IMO.

Also...if you have too many words...too complex a lyric, and its not to fitting the tempo and style of song, and they seem to be jammed in there and are just sorta' read over the music without really grooving in WITH the music...

...then again, the beauty of the lyrics is lost.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Giving all this some more thought (and not sure if someone already mentioned this)...

Maybe we are focusing too much on just the style/quality of the lyrics?

If we view lyrics as just words or as a form of poetry...then they might not appear to be too interesting.

But lyrics are directly tied to the music...and just reading lyrics on a page without hearing them sung with the music...is very much out of context.

The lyrics go hand in hand with the music...and you can have very beautiful, complex, poetic lyrics...but if they don't really fit the music (or if the music doesnt fit them), or if they are "sung" in a very monotone, un-melodic style...

...then the beauty of the lyrics is kinda' lost...IMO.

Also...if you have too many words...too complex a lyric, and its not to fitting the tempo and style of song, and they seem to be jammed in there and are just sorta' read over the music without really grooving in WITH the music...

...then again, the beauty of the lyrics is lost.

On one hand I agree with you. There are lyrics that just don't stand on their own but are perfect in the context of the music.

I would argue, however, that most great lyrics do stand on their own and are simply that much better in the context of great music.

I was reminded of another album of lyrics that range from somewhat abstract to entirely existential. They are lyrics from songs off the self titled, Toy Matinee album. Sheer genius, IMHO, from the late Kevin Gilbert. Some are morality plays, others just great prose. Every one is amazing (again, IMHO) both lyrically and musically. I've printed a few below, but I'd suggest visiting Kevin Gilbert's official website for complete lyrics to all his songs.

LAST PLANE OUT

Patrick Leonard, Kevin Gilbert, Guy Pratt

Greetings from Sodom

How we wish you were here

The weather's getting warmer

Now that the trees are all cleared

There's no time for a conscience

And we recognize no crime

Yeah we got dogs and Valvoline

It's a pretty damn good time

(Chorus:)

Men of reason, not of rhyme

Keep the spoils and share your crime

Good men, Bad men, lost without

A hope for passage on the last plane out

There was one repressed do-gooder

And a few who still believed

Yes I think there were five good men here yesterday

But they were asked to leave

So we've kept the good old vices

And laboured to invent a few

With cake in vulgar surplus

We can have it and eat it, too

Men of reason, hide your face

Walking backwards, plays his ace

Good men, Bad men, lost without

A hope for passage on the last plane out

Here's a concept you can't dance to

An idea you cannot hum

There may not be an empty seat

When all is said and done

I'm not the guy who sings the hymns

No bleeding heart to mend

But I like the part where Icarus

Hijacks the little red hen

Someone said the Big Man

May be joining us soon

But I never was the type to hang

With the harbingers of doom

And this party is addictive

Self-destructive, no doubt

So I hope that someone saves a seat for me

On the last plane out

The next one is absolutely devastating. Read on.. read on.

THERE WAS A LITTLE BOY

Patrick Leonard, Kevin Gilbert

Mother's crazy but she runs the family

Two older sisters and the boy who's nine years old

He's old enough to see the way it's going

Somewhere the birds are singing

But mother's all alone

He needs a father but she takes a lover

This man is not a friend, shows no friendship

This man just waits around to play with sister

But he plays too serious, he plays too rough

(half chorus:)

How can you expect a child to understand the sickness of a world whose eyes are blind?

The dying man inside this little boy is questioning his once upon a time

He leaves home early for a loveless world

And he finds what he needs with an older boy

He's got a couple things to hide from mother

He hopes she'll understand, she hopes he'll change

How can you expect a child to understand the sickness of a world whose eyes are blind? (There was a little boy)

A world he can't hope to conquer, insecurities that fester in his mind. (There was a little boy)

No choice, no fault and no way out, no blame, no guilt, no friends, no cure, no crime. (There was a little boy)

The dying man inside this little boy is questioning his once upon a time. (There was a little boy)

This boy was once a strong man - but getting weaker,

He carries more than just the shame inside

His mother stays away and faces nothing

She blindly wishes for a happy ending

Since we're talking about songwriting, this seems especially poignant. It was only included on the reissue release a few years ago.

BLANK PAGE

Kevin Gilbert

Blank page

Lonely, staring up at me

Daring me to try to be

Simple yet profound

Words alone

For all that consciousness allows

Find I'm at a loss for how

To say just what I've found

I entered through an open door

Left by all who came before

With thoughts so rich yet words so poor

For truth's already spoken for

Reach within

To find a misplaced bit of truth

In love or hate or age or youth

In what prized piece of mind

Close the book

Evasive truth still yet to find

Of rhythm felt by twisted rhyme

When words get left behind

Well something snaps and then you learn

Chasing words is no concern

Then one by one they die and turn

To mild regret and hopeless yearn

Blank page

Lonely, staring up at me

Escaping my apology

From a blank page left unsigned

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Sheer genius, IMHO, from the late Kevin Gilbert. Some are morality plays, others just great prose. Every one is amazing (again, IMHO) both lyrically and musically.

Yep. That must be your opinion 'cause to be honest, I didn't like any of them. :D :D Sorry, but I guess that's taste for ya, one size definitely doesn't fit all. ;)

Yeah, but you hate challenging poetry as lyric anyway, Miro.

Not sure what you are saying here....

If you mean that you think I don't much care for lyrics that have a strong, poetry-like quality...

...I don't think I ever said that.

I don't just like or write very simplistic Pop lyrics.

What I said was that I do write a lot of "love/relationship" songs...but the lyrics to those songs can, and do have a very poetic feel, especially if I take the lyrics out of context from the music.

I do think that many people aren't really writing lyrics...but rather they are writing poetry...and THEN adding music to fit the lyrics.

I tend to write both simultaneously...so right from the git-go, I am hearing a song in my head...sometimes almost the entire rough production.

I don't think I've ever first written complete lyrics...and then worked on the music for them.

I guess that's why I say that lyrics without the music...are out of context.

But yeah...I can take the lyrics from any one of my songs and they will stand on their own...but it just doesn't mean that same thing to me without hearing the music too.

Theres many ways to compose.

I dont know how some of you other folks go about writing a song...what process you use...?

I dont want to get too deep into posting up many lyrics to my songsbut heres just a small sample of one tune.

Snow spins softly, on the crowded avenue.

Soldiers of fortune, dressed in rags, walk the streets in worn out shoes.

Fate is just another word for broken dreams and pain.

If they took away the aces, would you still play the game?

While I dont go out of my way to use very extreme, complex imageryIMOthose lines are very poetic.

Howeverwithout hearing the musicyou never really get the full impact of the lyrics, as you can read those lyrics 20 different ways.

But when you hear them WITH the musicthere is only ONE way. :)

Fate is just another word for broken dreams and pain.

My favourite line about broken dreams is in some Tom Waits song in the "Small Change" album where he sings something like

Cause the dreams ain't broken down here. No, they're walking with a limp.

That just kills me. :D

How about this one from Tom Petty? It's a musician's bad dream put down on paper and sung to music!

Cool Dry Place

The Traveling Wilburys

Well I woke up this morning

The place was such a wreck

I couldn't reach the bathroom

Thought I'd better clear the deck

I tried to call the lawyer

And asked him what to do

He referred me to his doctor

Who referred me back to you

And when you checked the manual

You kept inside the case

It said 'put it in a cool dry place'

I drove around the city

Looking for a room

That was high above the water

Where my things could be in tune

There was no one to help me

Nobody even cared

I had to go through hell

To get those things up there

I paid my first subscription

Then I joined the idle race

and they said 'store it in a cool dry place'

I got guitars, basses, amplifiers and drums

Accordions and mandolins and things that sometimes hum

Cymbals and harmonicas, capos by the score

And lots of things in boxes laying all around the floor

Some places they get mildew

And others get too hot

Some places are so damp that

Everything you got just rots

All kinds of condensation

Direct result of the rain

There's not much compensation

When everything's been stained

Some have sentimental value that

Cannot be erased

Go store it in a cool dry place

We got solids and acoustics

And some from flowered board

And some are trimmed in leather

And some are made with gourds

There's organs and trombones

And reverbs we can use

Lots of DX-7s

And old athletic shoes

I bought a great big building

That took up one whole block

I made an inventory

Of all the things in stock

The list was getting longer

I was up all night

I used up all my pencils

But I went on despite

The blurring of my vision

The sweat upon my face

I've got to put this stuff away

I mustn't leave a trace

The landlord's breathing down my neck

He says it's a disgrace

So I said 'put it in a cool, dry, place.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived