Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Back from the day job.

daBowsa

Back from tour.

Phew. Not even enough free time to make my football picks...whoops.

Made it through, however.

Typical daily:

7:30am - Kids running around inside the RV.

8:15 - Out of bed, disconnecting the RV and hooking up the tow vehicle.

9:30 - Cereal and coffee.

10:00 - Driving.

12:00pm - Rest area for lunch - pb&j, ham & cheese.

2:00 - Arrive at campground, connect RV, detach tow car.

3:00 - Arrive at club, load in.

4:00 - Sound check.

5:00 - Drive back to campground.

6:00 - Dinner.

9:00 - Drive to hotel.

10:00 - Drive to club.

11:00 - Scotty Don't set.

12:00am - Badfish set.

1:30 - Break down, pack up.

2:30 - Drive back to campground.

3:00 - Sleep.

Two weeks to recover and get back out there. Woot!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4,300 miles, 15 shows, 19 days.

The kids got to go to all kinds of zoos, museums, parks, playgrounds, etc. while I was at "work" and on the days off.

I'm still loving the idea, for sure - all the shows were killer and the family seemed to have fun as well. Ask me again in February after our west coast run! :thu:

My Electro went haywire a few times during righteous jams. Basically sustaining all notes from a smear.

The first time I turned the thing off immediately, but now I've got the 2-button Panic press down to a science. I tried to update the OS to 3.x, but the Electro hung during the process and it didn't take.

Other than that, I'm very pleased with my rig - the Electro sounds great and I got lots of comments on the tone from soundguys, people in the audience, and other bands from soundcheck, etc. My Micron patches could use a tweak here and there, but I left everything in the van, so I won't see it again until next week.

We did stop by Sweetwater when we were in Ft Wayne - got a chance to play a PolyEvolver, Oasys, and Voyager...at the same time!

Ended up walking out of there with a set of PSM-600 in-ear monitors. Now 3 out of 4 in the band have them...wow, what a difference. Ear plugs, plus a perfectly dialed in mix. No real "disconnect" that some people talk about - you have enough bleed from the PA and you can hear the crowd through the open vocal mics up front. Highly recommended, imho.

Actually, we got to sound check and realized my unit was the same frequency as the bass player's - called Sweetwater and our salesman offered to pull a different unit and drop it off at the club when he got off work. Kudos to Sweetwater, for sure - class act all the way around.

I still feel like a 37-key ROMpler about the same size as the Micron would suit me slightly better, but for form factor of the Micron is just too perfect velcroed on top of the Electro.

I did make one slight change - instead of having the Micron perfectly parallel to the Electro, I started angling it inwards about 20-30 degrees to facilitate a left-hand cross over I need to do several times in one song. I like this setup better.

Also, I raised my stand up one notch about halfway through the tour to try and alleviate some shoulder hunch that I noticed when I watched a video playback of an earlier show.

That Electro really shines, for sure. The few times we went off into a chill jam, having the effects so easily accessible on the front panel is just awesome - phaser on the wurly, flanger on the hammond - just fun tweaks to keep things fresh. Awesome.

And the fact that I could actually hear these subtle changes in my sound through my in-ears made everything that much more enjoyable! :thu:

Well its less dough than the day job was, but we cut back a bunch of expenses (digital hd cable, etc), my per diems are cash, and the band pays all travel expenses up front. It'll be tight, but if it works out for 6 months I'll probably move from being salaried to a full 1/4 share. More risk but higher potential earnings if things continue to go well.

So far, the benefits are far outweighing the lower earnings, for sure!

I am happy for you Ben.... Live the DREAM ... I am on that path and love it too. Although I am not on TOUR I have stayed steady all year. Next month is looking a bit slim but I have the duet project kicking in which will add 4 Wednesdays a month to my schedule without moving equipment.

Keep us informed and let me know when your back in Raleigh or the triangle.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I'm happy for both of you guys. You inspire me. Folks think I'm crazy to do what I do, and they're absolutely correct. It's just nice to know others who are similarly afflicted.

My year has been good. About double last year. Very spotty, though. Busy months and lean months. Nature of the business when you're a ho. Mostly local, MA RI & NH.

If I manage to keep the new gig, I'll be doing a little less random ho and lot more traveling. If there's a notorious biker bar or a large annual gathering of bikers near you, we may even get to meet. I'm pretty sure my first gig with this guy is a biker joint about ten miles from Legatoboy. He's been warned. I just missed Biketoberfest in Mr. Nightime's neighborhood. I think I have time to kill between bike week and the Daytona 500 to check out his gig.

This isn't what I'd call a stuffy gig, and the stuff isn't rocket science. Straight up blues and southern rock. I know a lot of you folks can just sit down and burn on that bag. The boss likes to jam, and I'm sure he'd enjoy some special guests and two keyboard players as much as I would. It sure would be a blast to play with some of you.

--wmp

Thanks Jimmy! I'll be at the Cat's Cradle on Nov 16th.

wmp - looks like a fun gig! There's nothing artsy about what I'm doing either, for sure. We'll be back in New England in December.

Daviel: When I grow up I want to be a musician.

"Well, you can't do both!"

Thanks Jimmy! I'll be at the Cat's Cradle on Nov 16th.

Say Hi to Frank and Kemp (great sound man). ARG Unfortunately I have a gig and won't be able to make it but I will tell my buds to check you guys out. Keep us in the loop.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

Say Hi to Frank and Kemp (great sound man). ARG Unfortunately I have a gig and won't be able to make it but I will tell my buds to check you guys out. Keep us in the loop.

Nothing unfortunate about having a gig - I'll catch up with you next time around! :thu:

My Electro went haywire a few times during righteous jams. Basically sustaining all notes from a smear.

The first time I turned the thing off immediately, but now I've got the 2-button Panic press down to a science.

What is the 2-button panic?

I thought you were in RI when I signed up but moved south for a job. I didn't realize you moved back for the gig.

Of course. I'm in NY New Year's Eve. At the moment, I'm not booked for the 28th, but that's likely to change. If it doesn't, I'll try to make Lupo's.

Yeah, the new gig looks like a blast. It's a much better fit than a tux gig. I hope it works out. Everything looks great, and that's what concerns me. You just don't know until you've done a few trips and a bunch of shows.

--wmp

I thought you were in RI when I signed up but moved south for a job. I didn't realize you moved back for the gig.

I was. I did. I didn't.

Of course. I'm in NY New Year's Eve. At the moment, I'm not booked for the 28th, but that's likely to change. If it doesn't, I'll try to make Lupo's.

As always, let me know if you're planning to make it out and I'll do my best to get you on the list.

Yeah, the new gig looks like a blast. It's a much better fit than a tux gig. I hope it works out. Everything looks great, and that's what concerns me. You just don't know until you've done a few trips and a bunch of shows.

In my experience, its the trips that make or break the gig - its one thing to get along with 3 or 4 other dudes in rehearsal and/or on stage...but living with them 24/7 will tell you a think or too!

Are your band mates also in RV's or in hotels/motels? If you have already posted this my apologies.

No, I'm the only one driving out to the campgrounds at 2 in the morning. Everyone else is in a hotel just down the street from the club where you don't have to make your bed in the morning, nor deal with sewer and electrical connections, whatsoever. :D

Are your band mates also in RV's or in hotels/motels? If you have already posted this my apologies.

No, I'm the only one driving out to the campgrounds at 2 in the morning. Everyone else is in a hotel just down the street from the club where you don't have to make your bed in the morning, nor deal with sewer and electrical connections, whatsoever. :D

Is this RV thing about saving money or keeping the family close? Since I am asking are you saving money?

Jimmy

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

Is this RV thing about saving money or keeping the family close? Since I am asking are you saving money?

Most definitely NOT about saving money! The RV is all about costing money. :D

Its about keeping the family close - the kids are 2 and 4 so we felt it important for them to have their own space to sleep in every night. We've done 4 and 5 day tours in the past and stayed in hotels, and it was tough on them.

Plus, it feels constraining to be in a hotel all day. The RV is always parked at a campground so they have a new playground to play on every afternoon and there's often other kids around that they can play with. Its actually worked out quite well!

I don't know how I'd do it without the internet to plan these trips - finding campgrounds that are within a reasonable distance from the club and will accomidate our needs (size of RV, hookups, playground, allows dogs, etc.) would be a nightmare in the pre-google maps era.

Archived