Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So O.T. That I'll Likely Be Banned... Last Rites Held

Bottomgottem

"Sad News

Please join me in remembering a great icon of the entertainment

community.

The Pillsbury Doughboy died yesterday of a yeast infection and trauma

complications from repeated pokes in the belly. He was 71.

Doughboy was buried in a lightly greased coffin.

Dozens of celebrities turned out to pay their respects including Mrs.

Butterworth, Hungry Jack, The California Raisins, Betty Crocker, The

Hostess Twinkies, and Captain Crunch. The grave site was piled high with flours.

Aunt Jemima delivered the eulogy and lovingly described Doughboy as a

man who never knew how much he was kneaded. Doughboy rose quickly in show

business, but his later life was filled with turnovers. He was not

considered a very smart cookie, wasting much of his dough on half-baked

schemes. Despite being a little flaky at times he still was a crusty old

man and was considered a positive roll model for millions

Doughboy is survived by his wife Play Dough, two children, John Dough

and Jane Dough, plus they had one in the oven. He is also survived by his

elderly father, Pop Tart.

The funeral was held at 3:50 for about 20 minutes."

This was posted by irnsrgn on a blacksmithing forum to which I belong. It made me laugh, so I thought that I would pass it on.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes I forget that a large portion of our members may not be familiar with some American icons.

The Pillsbury Doughboy is a mascot of sorts for a company that produces "ready to bake" bread and pastry products. All the other names listed above are likewise brand names or mascots for food products.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j65/bottomgottem/pillsbury_doughboy.jpg

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Ghostbusters featured the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man, a spoof of the Pillsbury Doughboy blended with the Michelin Man with a pinch of Godzilla thrown in for good measure.

http://fitsnews.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/mr-stay-puft.jpg

- Matt W.

What a tradgic loss to world of baked goods. I'm still in mourning after the brutal loss of the Ginger Bread man at the hands of the Greedy Fox.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

I'd seen it before to be honest (nothing ever dies on the Internet) But what's this about a blacksmithing forum?

Are there still a lot of blacksmiths out there? Do you have pictures of your workshop? I'm really blown out! :o What do you make in your smithy?

Blacksmithing is something that I am just now beginning to get in to. I have access to furnaces at work that can heat steel to about 2000 degrees F., and while I can't say that I've really made anything, I have worked a lot on various hammering techniques and making stuff like "s" hooks and nails. Beginner stuff.

I am just now putting my backyard shop together. I have built a coal forge, but haven't yet lit a fire in it since I still lack a blower for it. I made an anvil and bought a good smithing hammer. I just have to get everything set up. Taking pictures hadn't occurred to me, so I'll see if I can throw some together and send them to you.

Metalworking has fascinated me for as long as I can remember, particularly blacksmithing. The art is not as lost as many believe. I guarantee that there is at least one operating forge and anvil in just about every city or town. It will more than likely be a backyard hobbyist, though quite a few people make a very good living doing specialty fabrications and putting on demonstrations.

So I wonder how come we've all heard of the Pillsbury Doughboy over here but never seen him. Must be all the US movie and TV references.

The Doughboy gets around.

Metalworking has fascinated me for as long as I can remember, particularly blacksmithing. The art is not as lost as many believe. I guarantee that there is at least one operating forge and anvil in just about every city or town.

Well, yes, come to think of it, especially if they have a racetrack, or even a mounted police corps. But yeah, put up some pics when you can! :thu:

So there's no "Stay-Puft" man? Wow, I thought there really WAS such a brand! :o

http://www.geocities.com/kenfxj/DoughBoy.jpg

That's brilliant! Where did it comes from? It looks like something the Dead Kennedys would have been happy to use on the cover of an album.

The idea of the DoughBoy coming out of the oven came into my mind so I went looking for an appropriate image to photoshop. I came across this one ready-made. Much better than I could have done.

I've always found it fascinating that advertisers create these lovable cartoon creations of items we're supposed to cook and/or eat.

"NO! PLEASE! Poke my belly all you want, but for the love of God don't put me in the oven!"

Push the button Frank.

I've always found it fascinating that advertisers create these lovable cartoon creations of items we're supposed to cook and/or eat.

What I find really creepy are all the butcher shops that have a jolly little pig *dressed as a butcher and gleefully brandishing a cleaver* on their signs. I mean, what (or WHO) does the jolly little pig think he's butchering? Doesn't he realize it's his own extended family going under the cleaver? And why is he so happy to sell us bits of his relatives? That whole "collaborationist" thing really disgusts me and I avoid food shops with antropomorphic signs, unless it's just jolly pigs BEING pigs. That's ok.

And then of course, there's the whole psycho thing of why does the butcher choose one of the species he cuts up to represent him? Is it some weird Freudian vision of the cycle of life, or does the guy hope for some sort of absolution from the jolly little pig in the striped apron?

Brrr... yukky stuff. :P

Well, yes, come to think of it, especially if they have a racetrack, or even a mounted police corps. But yeah, put up some pics when you can! :thu:

You are thinking of a farrier, which is a blacksmith that specializes in horse hoof care. All farriers are blacksmiths; not all blacksmiths are farriers. Shoeing a horse is an art that takes a long time to learn.

In the UK it is illegal to shoe a horse or even trim its hoof if you are not a trained farrier.

Anthropomorphic: Word of the day!

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

What I find really creepy are all the butcher shops that have a jolly little pig *dressed as a butcher and gleefully brandishing a cleaver* on their signs.

You must--and I mean MUST--visit this page.

You must--and I mean MUST--visit this page.

Yup. That's EXACTLY the sort of thing I meant! :thu:

http://www.lileks.com/institute/orphanage/orphans/cudahy2.html

Re: Farriers

Oh,ok... I didn't realize they were still two different things. I sort of thought the trades had sort of amalgamated, but you're right: shoeing a horse must be a skill all of its own.

Off topic? Why, yes!

Among the most enjoyable threads on the forum? Why, yes!

Lock it or delete it? Good Lord...noooooo!

My patchy memory seems to recall a comedy sketch involving the flushing of the Tidy Bowl man...

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

My patchy memory seems to recall a comedy sketch involving the flushing of the Tidy Bowl man...

Peace.

--SW

Didn't Dave Chappelle do that one?

There used to be a Sydney band called "Toilet Duck". That poor duck does not have an easy life, having his beak shoved into the yukkier parts of toilet bowls. Do you have Toilet Duck in America too?

Archived